Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.9 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.13.5

Post by Kwandulin »

The descriptions are amazing! Especially the description of the hammerdin is spot-on! Thanks a lot for your effort! The only thing that bothers me a bit is the description of the lost athvari. I had something different in mind when creating Uzar, but it seems that I overlooked some dialogue passages that needed to be erased in order to get the new background. Here's the new approach at the lost athvari:

"The Athvari have always been destined to rule over men and be a force of guidance through their lives. While most Athvari bring order to men and women by being an unseen advisor to their kings and queens or by directly ruling in a peaceful manner, there are some Athvari that believe that chaos itself inheres in men and thus, true order can only be achieved by the destruction of the human race or by ruling with an iron fist. They stand as a living testament that even good men can follow the wrong paths."

In that sense, the Unforgotten Athvari are also "lost ones".
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

You're welcome for it, it's a pleasure to do this. Your revised description for the lost athvari is indeed improved, nice job!
Here is now my try on the rest of the descriptions that i missed in the earlier attempt:

Elvish High King:
Spoiler:
Genie:
Spoiler:
Genie-Kabir:
Spoiler:
I think i have not missed any unit without description but, in case i have missed it, point it out to me and i will take care of that in the end of today. If you need help in something else tell me and i'll see what i can do about it.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Not being able to play for some time yet, I thought I´d use this chance to at least contribute something and thus give a few comments on the descriptions (I hope that´s ok with you ahmannar, besides the few spelling corrections those are mostly personal wording preferrences meant as suggestions). As I haven´t played the campaign yet, take them with a grain of salt.
Kahin:
Maji:
Waghad-al-lahab:
Qismat:
Rakib:
Wahash:
Dwarvish Hammerdin:
High Athvari:
Lost Athvari:
Unforgotten Athvari:
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for doing the genie ones! The suggested changes are tasty, I also hope that the changes are okay for ahmannar.

There's a handful of descriptions still missing:
Great Khalid (Ridwan, Ibn Ghani), Black Dragon (Khazran), Scarab Beetle, Minotaur, Najae-Snake, Mummy. Here are my attempts at them:

Great Khalid:
Spoiler:
Black Dragon:
Spoiler:
Scarab Beetle:
Spoiler:
Minotaur:
Spoiler:
Najae-Snake:
Spoiler:
Mummy:
Spoiler:
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Right now i'm at work and only now do i have a small break, at the end of the day i'll read the descriptions that i missed and see if i can contribute in some way(sorry for that, it seems i missed quite a bit of them).
I'm glad more people are helping kwandulin in his campaign, thank you for the corrections, they are very good :).
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Some minor (and in case of Elvish High King and Black Dragon bigger) suggestions and corrections. :)
Elvish High King:
Genie-Kabir:
Great Khalid:
Black Dragon:
Scarab Beetle:
Minotaur:
Najae-Snake:
Mummy:
Oh man, after all these descriptions I´m even more eager to play the new version... Perhaps I´ll find a way to get to it before october :D
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

*trained for warfare could func best under Minotaur descr for your confusion spot.
foamyd

Eye of the Dragon

Post by foamyd »

Hi, great campaign. I enjoy it.
I've searched for the eye of the dragon on this topic but only found advice on page 6.

Eye of the Dragon does not seem to work.
Version: Battle for Wesnoth 1.13.5
Scenario: Six_Feet_Under
Tested on a fresh Arif, on the Dwarven Hero and the piercing fighters

It is supposed to add +1 Attacks?
So a dwarve who has 17-2 base values would get to 17-3. But it seems not to work on any character.
Last edited by foamyd on August 22nd, 2016, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Hey,

when equipped with the eye of the dragon, you can attack twice per turn. So you actually get a (17x2)x2 attack on Uthain and not a 17x3 or 17x4. This is a relatively new feature within the 1.13.x series and it doesn't have any visual that shows it (beside the orb that stays yellow after the first attack).

I hope that clarifies your problem.

Edit: And thanks again, Whiskeyjack, for improving the descriptions!
Last edited by Kwandulin on August 22nd, 2016, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foamyd

Post by foamyd »

Hey, that's a fast response.
It is clarified indeed and confirmed working.
Thanks a lot.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Your remarks about the elvish high king are on point Whiskeyjack, in mainline lore it's not referred as the elves having some kind of king or someone in a similar role as that.
If there's a need to spread the information you wrote about him (which is a nice connection between this story and the established lore, by the way) and kwandulin wants to do it, my suggestion is spreading it out in 3 places: there's the introduction before the khalifate arrive in the woods, the journey from southwood to serrul (ilriel could share a bit of that information with dawoud) and, finally, there's the time when nuvdael joins the group and might be questioned, by dawoud, on the reason of why is an elven king risking his life in such an dangerous endeavor.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I've uploaded 0.9.5 to the servers that fixes most of the issues mentioned (I hadn't been able to come up with a good idea to fix the Elvish High King issue).

Most important changes:
  • changed AMLAs of most heroes
  • noted that potions act like items
  • merged S15: A Heavy Price, S16: Ceremony of old, S17: The Sphere into one scenario: S15: Uzar the Betrayer
  • made Waghad-al-lahab useful
  • heavy changes to S9: Beneath the sands
  • weakened enemy in S18: Battle of the Eons
  • added full set of descriptions (special thanks to ahmannar and Whiskeyjack)
  • added unique sprites for Ridwan and Ibn Ghani
Thanks for your support!
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

'High King' may be an honorary title given to him by the local ruling council to commemorate an grand deed of his, perhaps.
Or it may be an self-styled non-functional title, if he is an tyrantlike ruler.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

As i promised, i will be posting here the reviews of the campaign as i pass them. All of them are on hard difficulty, with BfW version 1.13.5 (for the difficulty rate, i'll be using the logic on this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40637).

Drought:
Spoiler:
EDIT: I initially intended to try another revision of the text along my replay of the campaign, but i think it's beyond my capabilities to improve it any further. If there´s any type of additional feedback you would like for each scenario, tell me and i will include it in the future.

Peril:
Spoiler:
I forgot to say earlier, no warning for the player regarding the difference in normal BfW style of this campaign compared to others appears in the beginning of it.

EDIT2: I think all the swords in the campaign are kind of bugged and can only be picked up by arif and dawoud. On the next scenario (have paused the playthrough of it because of this), the 2 swords can only be picked up by those 2 units, like it was the case on "drought".

Ideas for commander units dialogue:
Spoiler:
Attachments
OA-Peril_replay.gz
(35.57 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
OA-Drought_replay.gz
(30.33 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Last edited by ahmannar on August 25th, 2016, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Was a typo and the sword issue should be fixed now.
If there´s any type of additional feedback you would like for each scenario, tell me and i will include it in the future.
In case you're interested, you might want to look out, whether you can find situations where the commander units could talk and reveal some information about themselves.