Hexes May Be Miles Across--But How Many?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Temuchin Khan

Hexes May Be Miles Across--But How Many?

Post by Temuchin Khan »

According to the following thread, an average Ancient or Medieval army could march 15-18 miles in 7 hours.

http://historum.com/war-military-histor ... e-day.html

Using that as a basis, we can calculate the size of a Wesnoth hex. One 24-hour day lasts 6 turns. Each turn, therefore, is 4 hours. If an average Ancient or Medieval army could march 15-18 miles in 7 hours, then it could march 8.57-10.2857 miles in 4 hours. The average Wesnoth infantry unit can move 5 flat hexes per turn, which works out to 1.7-2.057 miles per hex.

In other words, a Wesnoth hex is approximately 2 miles across.
Zolm

Re: Hexes May Be Miles Across--But How Many?

Post by Zolm »

Therefore everyone is an archer, and ranged units are rifle armed snipers
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

The scale is 1 hex equals 1 hex. The problem is turning on the hex grid feature IRL so you can get an accurate comparison.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

So.......... all sword wielding units have 2 mile long arms ? ... or maybe they have human sized arms but the sword is 2 miles long ? :hmm:

Nope, I'm not convinced. It makes sense when when u think of distance traveled, but is insane when you think about the battles.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Sudipta wrote:So.......... all sword wielding units have 2 mile long arms ? ... or maybe they have human sized arms but the sword is 2 miles long ? :hmm:

Nope, I'm not convinced. It makes sense when when u think of distance traveled, but is insane when you think about the battles.
I don't think of units as standing in the middle of every hex and reaching into the middle of every other one - better to envision units as meeting at the borders of both hexes, both attacking at melee and at range. If you thoroughly analyze it there's probably holes in thinking that way, but it's what makes the most sense to me as a translation to what's 'really' happening.

But yeah if you want a realistic scale for most practical uses, 2 miles per hex seems like it makes the most sense to me. It's not canon or anything, there are no canon measurements for such thing, but if you want to look at things from that angle, that's the scale things are most sensible at.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

The figures obviously represents an battalion of it's unit type occupying that hex.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Eagle_11 wrote:The figures obviously represents an battalion of it's unit type occupying that hex.
then there is a battlion of delfadors/konrads/lisars/ect. in httt? :lol: (only httt example here, but same applies to all campaigns) plus, every unit has each own name, and names of units are in singular ('Spearman' instead of 'Spearmen' for example)
Sudipta wrote:So.......... all sword wielding units have 2 mile long arms ? ... or maybe they have human sized arms but the sword is 2 miles long ? :hmm:

didn't you notice that when attacking in melee, the unit moves towards the second unit's hex?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

ForestDragon wrote:
Eagle_11 wrote:The figures obviously represents an battalion of it's unit type occupying that hex.
then there is a battlion of delfadors/konrads/lisars/ect. in httt? :lol:
You should try doing a web search for "konrad" and "female ninja bodyguards". ;)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

mattsc wrote:
ForestDragon wrote: then there is a battlion of delfadors/konrads/lisars/ect. in httt? :lol:
You should try doing a web search for "konrad" and "female ninja bodyguards". ;)
about konrad: i see what you mean
about female ninja bodyguards: sorry, didn't get the point
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

ForestDragon wrote:then there is a battlion of delfadors/konrads/lisars/ect. in httt? :lol:
Something similar was discussed before, and Gambit responded by saying that Konrad (unit) actually represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'. Link be here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33658&p=486672&hili ... ds#p486672
It's a part of this forum's history :eng:
Last edited by Caladbolg on August 2nd, 2016, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Caladbolg wrote:
ForestDragon wrote:then there is a battlion of delfadors/konrads/lisars/ect. in httt? :lol:
Something similar was discussed before, and Gambit responded by saying that Konrad (unit) actually represents 'Konrad and his female ninja bodyguards'. Link be here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33658&p=486672&hili ... ds#p486672
and in the same thread said the same thing that i had in mind, but oh well, Gambit is Gambit :P
EDIT: i hope he didn't say 'delfador has genderless ninja yeti bodyguards'
EDIT2:
Caladbolg wrote:It's a part of this forum's history :eng:
now i start to understand why Gambit got his 'Loose Screw' title
FelixMage

Post by FelixMage »

Scale in Wesnoth doesn't make sense like 99% of the time, you just have to apply your willful suspension of belief here.
I ran into a situation that made me think about scale in Wesnoth like a week ago, but I must have forcefully purged it from my mind, since I can't remember what prompted it.

Also, imagine what the items must represent if every unit is a batallion, there has to be enough fire swords for an entire battalion just lying around the 2 miles squared. :D
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

I guess we could say that the name of the "unit" is just the battalion's commander, and maybe he/she get's the flame sword? Regardless, I always thought Wesnoth was supposed to be about small skirmishes. Maybe the world population is only a few thousand, which is why "villages" seem to generally consist of one cottage, and "The Great Horde" is made up of maybe a couple hundred units. :whistle:
Temuchin Khan wrote:According to the following thread, an average Ancient or Medieval army could march 15-18 miles in 7 hours.
Let's keep in mind that those armies rarely marched day and night for weeks on end like Wesnoth units tend to... besides, IDK how much hiking you've done but 15 miles in 7 hours would be a pretty gnarly pace if you were carrying weapons and supplies. Very possible, but VERY tiring. Perhaps the tiles are a bit smaller, just 1 to 1 1/2 miles, allowing for common, short, rests? A 20 minute power-nap does you wonders. ;)
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

I tend to think of the single-house graphic of villages being similarly just representative of the houses in those villages. I actually sometimes sort of wish they were more like a little cluster of buildings? But I can see that being tricky.

It does make it a little hard to have a map where a village is a central fixture though since if a village looks like a proper village, it ends up being a horribly unbalanced mess of heal-zones, hahaha
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

ForestDragon wrote:

didn't you notice that when attacking in melee, the unit moves towards the second unit's hex?
Good point, let's get rid of all attack animations, less workload for our artists :twisted: