For Power (0.6.5.3)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rogul

Re: For Power (0.6.3.1)

Post by rogul »

Glad you found my suggestions useful.

I have decided to start again on hard and am experiencing the same crash on Orcish Scouts as reported by DarrenG.

Not sure if it is related but at the end of the previous scenario (An exercise) it couldn't save the file so I don't have a save game for the start of Orcish Scouts.
Relevant lines from the log:

Code: Select all

20160606 11:56:08 error engine: The game could not be saved: save_game_failed: failed opening file: Access is denied. : iostream error
20160606 11:56:08 error general: The game could not be saved: save_game_failed: failed opening file: Access is denied. : iostream error
Not sure if this was a problem with the os or wesnoth or the wml.
DarrenG

Post by DarrenG »

James_The_Invisible wrote:
This is a tough one. I only beat it on my fourth attempt.
Hmm, on which difficulty were you playing? I ask because he is stronger and has more hitpoints on normal and hard. Maybe he is too strong.
I uploaded your suggestion from last 3 days to GitHub and they will be in next version which should be released on Sunday.
Happy to help. I was playing on normal.
06_Dwarven_Doors.cfg suggestions:
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Thank you for suggestions, they will be in next version.
(It makes no sense to me either. Clare and Lemyr already had this conversation in chapter 1. Is this here for people who didn't play chapter 1?)
Hm, if I remember correctly, Clare talked about it with Merissa not Lemyr in the "good" path. She tells it to Lemyr in first chapter in the other path. Clare and Lemyr actually have different dialogue in this place, depending on the path chosen in previous chapter.
(I met the assassin, who I defeated easily on Normal difficulty. But after reading this I went back and replayed it. I never attacked the assassin and kept sending the corpses away. Eventually the assassin managed to kill me in round 7, then the game said I had been defeated and ended.)
Again, different lines for different paths. They are actually guarded by [if] condition and [else].
I was playing on normal.
Firstly I should say that the scenario (Audience with Menvan) is meant as a boss battle so it should a kind of a challenge. But he can have 3 less hitpoints (or 6 on hard) a does 1 less damage per strike with his sword if you find him too strong.

@rogul
I will look into it.
rogul

Post by rogul »

James,

Turns out the failure to save was due to a name conflict with a directory where I had previously unzipped a save game file, so no issue there.

I skipped through the Orcish Scouts scenario and got to the epilogue, but after the text section got the following error:

20160610 10:39:11 error scripting/lua: Mandatory WML child missing yet untested for. Please report.
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'cmd'
	lua/wml-utils.lua:137: in function 'handle_event_commands'
	lua/wml-tags.lua:383: in function 'cmd'
	lua/wml-utils.lua:137: in function 'handle_event_commands'
	lua/wml-tags.lua:264: in function <lua/wml-tags.lua:263>
It then showed Clare and Lemyr on a 2x2 grass map and I had to press End Scenario for it to play the end credits.
James_The_Invisible

Hm, it seems that Wesnoth 1.13 has a problem with this code:

[set_variables]
      name=transfer_store.unit[$transfer_store.unit.length]
      to_variable=army_store[$i]
      mode=replace
[/set_variables]
. But I do not know what to do about it.
The showed map is just a consequence of the previous bug.
rogul

Post by rogul »

Looks like that error with the [set_variables] may be fixed in the latest dev (1.13.4+). See https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?24719

Am going to try and compile it and see if the issue goes away. I am having a similar issue in FP2-West Front, it's not adding killed units to the array.

I have created a pull request for some changes, however one is to do with this bug and may not be required and another is about the advance / advancement, which I now realise will break this on 1.12, so I totally understand if you ignore it.
James_The_Invisible

Looks like that error with the [set_variables] may be fixed in the latest dev (1.13.4+).
Good. I am not familiar enough with compiling programs so I will wait for your confirmation or for next release (whatever happens sooner).
another is about the advance / advancement, which I now realise will break this on 1.12
Yes, that will not work on Wesnoth 1.12. Actually, this was reported on previous page - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37806&start=345#p597547.
Anyway, I am going to review your changes in dialogues. Oh and I see that GitHub complains about some merge conflicts. Can you rebase your branch and possibly remove first and third commit? Fourth commit is fine.
rogul

Post by rogul »

Have compile 1.13.4+dev and the [set_variable] in FP2 West Front is working now.

In FP2 West Front, the event rise runs every turn after turn 14 and spawns 8 units (on hard) Is this intended? Or is it only meant to be called until all the killed units are risen (which is how i read the wml)
James_The_Invisible

Have compile 1.13.4+dev and the [set_variable] in FP2 West Front is working now.
Nice. Thank you for confirmation.
Or is it only meant to be called until all the killed units are risen (which is how i read the wml)
Exactly. Someone complained about getting too many enemies at once so I changed it to this.
James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.3.2)

New version is out. It brings some corrections of typos and text improvements by rogul and DarrenG. Also scenario The Path of Revenger (in "good" path) should work as intended now (there were used wrong filters).
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

First let me thank you; a really nice campaign!
Well, but I do have a problem: In FP6 after the witch Merengwen forces a ring onto Clare I cannot do anything to not get the dialog starting with "Yes! Kill them all! …" (etc.), regardless what I am doing. I have even ceased mostly to use redeem after Lemyr warned Clare in campaign part 5. So I do not seem to get farther, as that dialog ends the game even if another figure kills an aspirant.
Well, any hints would be appreciated.
James_The_Invisible

I have even ceased mostly to use redeem after Lemyr warned Clare in campaign part 5
That warning was meant just for that 1 scenario. Killing 6 enemies with redeem (by Clare) would result in a defeat.
that dialog ends the game even if another figure kills an aspirant.
It is intentional. In Chapter 6 you lose if you kill too many enemies in one scenario (or more precisely, if too many enemies die). In your case it was 20 enemies. I might increase the number by 1 or 2 but you should keep in mind that your main objective is to reach the signpost. About the reasoning behind this defeat condition, witnessing/causing so many deaths would just strengthen Clare's negative feelings and push her closer to the dark side. And you do not want this (yet).
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

James_The_Invisible wrote:It is intentional. In Chapter 6 you lose if you kill too many enemies in one scenario (or more precisely, if too many enemies die). In your case it was 20 enemies. I might increase the number by 1 or 2 but you should keep in mind that your main objective is to reach the signpost. About the reasoning behind this defeat condition, witnessing/causing so many deaths would just strengthen Clare's negative feelings and push her closer to the dark side. And you do not want this (yet).
Thanks, James, I understand. Perhaps it would be a good idea to increase the threshold a bit, as I was hair's width away from the sign post, and maybe tell this to the player a bit clearer (but perhaps I have not read the level starting information well enough due to my eagerness to play the scenario).
Anyway, this evening I will re-play the scenario keeping this information in mind. Thanks again!
Best regards, Rossi
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Rossi wrote:Anyway, this evening I will re-play the scenario keeping this information in mind.
Awww, "Unknown scenario: 04_Shadow_Mages". I understand the campaign is not finished; I have known this before starting. But I will archive the last save game and eagerly await finishing of the campaign. And perhaps another, and another… :D Anyway, thanks for good playing so far, I will keep an eye here in case there are new scenarios.
Best regards, Rossi
James_The_Invisible

Dear Lords of Light, what has happened to this place since my leaving? *Waves his wand and all the dust disappears at once* Ah, this is better. Now, why have I come here? ... Oh, yes! I bear good news. This campaign is not abandoned (surprise :lol: ), I am actually working hard on a new version. There will be many a change and maybe even next scenario ^_^ . But I could use some help. Well, that was always the case but now I have very specific tasks in mind. You can check the tasks and their progress here. If you are just curious what is done, you can always check the changelog. And ... that is all for now. *poof teleports away*