Struggle For Freedom 1.5.0

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadhavC

Re: Struggle For Freedom 1.4.0

Post by MadhavC »

Hey WYRMY. I just finished playing your thoroughly enjoyable campaign and I'd like to add my two cents. Even though you wouldn't have a clue who I am, please feign flattery that I'm using my first post to comment on your campaign :)
Some random thoughts on your campaign (I apologise in advance for how long this post is)

- I have been playing Battle for Wesnoth for a little over a year now and I've finished all the built-in campaigns on the "normal" level, some on the hardest setting. So, while I'm nowhere near being a great player I consider myself reasonably decent. I've been able to complete your campaign on all three difficulty levels without to many major problems. I expected it to be a real struggle (get the terrible pun?) to finish your campaign on the hardest setting, but save for the first few scenarios I actually found it reasonably straightforward. By the time I got down to playing it on the hardest setting I had already played it on the easy and normal settings, so I knew what to expect from each scenario specifically and which units I should concentrate on leveling up for the campaign as a whole. Nonetheless, I still feel the hardest setting should be a good deal tougher. I apologise, my memory regarding actual scenario names is hazy and I might mis-name some scenarios here. I found (on the hardest setting) the first scenario to be pretty straightforward, but very well balanced nonetheless. The second and third (Search For the Ochgma and An Attack From The North) to be real challenges. In Ochgma I decided to defeat all leaders and the three units that show up after defeating all leaders before proceeding to the dwarf king's keep. In Attack From The North I elected to defeat all leaders and managed to finish it with two turns (if my memory serves me right) left. When I started the third scenario, I had a few units which had good experience and were worth leveling up further, I used the money I had left to recruit new units. And I ended the scenario having had to use every single one of those new recruits as fodder just to ensure my small group of leveled up units weren't obliterated, especially by the trolls at night. Across the Dark Hills was a challenge since I only started it with 100 gold, but I found that by being patient I was able to get through without putting any of my high level units in any major danger. However, after this scenario I found the campaign rather easy. For example, in Eye of Y'fel with just one round of recalls I was able to fork my army into three- one to get the boosted holy water, one to get the holy amulet and the demon (it was a demon right?) and the other to roll round and take out Y'fel. All without too many major difficulties and with plenty of time to spare. From The Courtyard onwards it wasn't very hard to achieve the objectives, they could be done well in time and keeping alive all the leveled up units while levelling up others wasn't a major challenge either. My point is that I feel on the hardest difficulty all scenarios from The Courtyard onward need to be made a decent bit harder and, most crucially, I think the turn limit should be reduced. That being said, the first three scenarios as superbly balanced. Also, the scenario where you take on the lich who suddenly calls upon the skeleton riders, necromancers and draugs (was it the Knightmare Realm or Bane of Soradac? I can't recall) featured a stunning ending. Getting through that section without losing units is REALLY challenging.

- When I play with a certain race of units, I instinctively look up to level up certain specific units in specific paths. For example, with elves I would try to get as many Elvish Champions as possible, the odd Elvish Marshal, level up a few archers to Sharpshooters and level up a few shaman to druids or shydes if possible. However, this campaign, as all good campaigns should, brought out the qualities of some of the (arguably) lesser used units - The Hunter line and the Sorceress line of shamans. I loved how your campaign virtually taught me how useful these units can be, especially in certain situations. When I first started playing the campaign I had just played with the Elvish Hunter in the "Invasion From the Unknown" and, probably more through my not making the best use of the unit, I didn't find the Hunter line particularly spectacular. How that changed after playing your campaign. The "slow"-ability of its ranged attack was invaluable in later scenarios where there are plenty of nasty level 3 units which can deal some deadly damage. And its skirmish ability meant it could reach pretty much any unit trying to hide behind other units. It goes without saying how useful the impact damage its ranged attack does to undead- which there was plenty of in this campaign. All of these coupled with a 70% defence (and ambush) in forests, 60% defence on hills and a more than respectable melee attack made this my favourite unit for this campaign, not something I would have said for the Elvish Hunter earlier. And even though I have played with the Sorceress->Sylph line before and know how useful they can be against undead, this campaign only emphasised how devastating they can be. You deserve major credit for making players use some of the less-used units rather than the standard units. On a similiar note, providing a dwarf explorer rather than the fighter was a great decision. This was a unit I had never used before but by the end of the campaign I knew perfectly how handy it is.

- I found the story quite interesting. The one small qualm I had was with some of the dialogue, which at times isn't very polished. As a small example, in the Dark Hills scenario where you get ambushed, the dwarf replies by saying "Yeah?". I suppose what was being aimed for was a "Oh yeah? Bring it on!" sort of
thing, but "Yeah?" by itself just makes it sound like he's puzzled. It's just one example I can remember, there were a couple of other places where it can be improved. But let me reiterate, on the whole I thought the dialogue was good and was in keeping with the story. It's just the odd bit of polishing up which needs to be done.

- Actually another small qualm with the story. I don't think anything can really be done about this, but anyway. After a while I found it a little silly how after defeating each leader they'd promptly say there's a bigger boss they're working for. I ended many scenarios thinking "Yes! He's done!" only for the next bigger boss say there's yet another bigger boss awaiting. It's not a big deal at all, though not exactly ideal.

- One thing in particular I loved about your campaign was there was good variety, terrain wise. Starting off nice and happily in the forest, with allies to boot, and then being thrown into uncomfortable terrain and then having to navigate through the narrow, claustrophobic underground was a great idea. Testing players on all manner of terrain was a superb decision and demands some serious thought before starting each scenario.

I'm not a developer of campaigns, I just play them. So I have little idea of the kind of effort it takes to make one. It also means it's easy for me to criticise. However, even though it might seem like I've criticised your campaigns on some aspects, these are not criticisms but merely minor complaints. As I've said, I think your campaign is great. Most importantly it's enjoyable, so the minor drawbacks really pale into insignificance. I've played a decent number of user-made campaigns and I find your campaign to be among the most entertaining of them all. Great work! I'll be eagerly looking forward to your next campaign. :)
WYRMY

Re: Struggle For Freedom 1.5.0

Post by WYRMY »

Version 1.5.0 for wesnoth 1.6 is out!

@ MadhavC Thanks for for the comments. I will try to take them into account. I appreciate the effort you puit into writing the review :)
ydcl

struggled for freedom

Post by ydcl »

Hi everybody, sorry to ask so a such stupid question, but I want to know if there is a sff thread, and how to get there. Because I want some ideas, to escape from the prison.
Thanks and sorry again
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: struggled for freedom

Post by Pentarctagon »

there is This Thread.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ydcl wrote:Hi everybody, sorry to ask so a such stupid question, but I want to know if there is a sff thread, and how to get there. Because I want some ideas, to escape from the prison.
Thanks and sorry again
Moved to the proper thread.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
WYRMY

Re: struggled for freedom

Post by WYRMY »

Spoiler:
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Hi, I'm porting old campaigns to 1.8, and I'd like to let you know that another campaign you co-designed, The Eight of Cembulad, is next on my list. (I've already sent a PM, but just in case you're lurking without logging in...) I hope that neither you nor your co-designer object. I've already got it up and running, and I've started playing through it. I'm willing to hand it back to you or Lintara if you ever want to take back control of the campaign.

As for Struggle for Freedom, it seems to be a relatively popular 1.6 campaign that didn't make the transition to 1.8, making it another candidate for porting. But there are so many campaigns, I can't say when I'd get to it.
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
rogul

Post by rogul »

I am thinking of porting this campaign to 1.13. I have PM'd WYRMY but received no reply so does anybody else have an interest in this?
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I would be interested in playing this campaign again, it was a great one :)
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

@rogul I am no longer doing Wesnoth-related stuff so yes, you're welcome to take over. FEEL FREE TO IMPROVE. IT WILL NEED IT.

I didn't get your PM, for some reason. It's just a weird coincidence I happened to see this, since I happened to randomly be thinking about SfF recently lol.
rogul

Post by rogul »

@WYRMY Thanks, have replied to your PM. I have a few ideas about improvements. But only a few tweaks I think, it is a really good story and campaign.

@ahmannar Good to hear someone is interested! I have the first few scenarios updated. Would you be interested in playing it even though I haven't updated all the scenarios?
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I would be interested in playtesting it of course, it´s better than not being able to play any kind of level from it.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

is it on the 1.12 addon server?, if not, then can someone update it pls?
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
rogul

Post by rogul »

Ok, I will attempt to put what I have up.

The first three scenarios are playable and roughly balanced, after that I think the gold goes too high, and I haven't figured out how to get the cell bars / gates working properly.

Let me know any issues you have with it.

EDIT: first version is up.

I have been looking at IftU, trying to get my head around the graphics bits, think I am almost there.
Last edited by rogul on June 15th, 2016, 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

well, you can look into IftU (Invasion from the Unknown)'s files, it has a pretty good gate mechanic, also, you can adjust the gate hp value the way you want
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic