For Power (0.6.5.3)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.1f)

Post by James_The_Invisible »

As I have now a bit more time for this campaign, I am preparing a bigger update for Christmas, maybe I will even add some new scenarios finally :D. To know what is already prepared, see changelog or full diff (including internal changes). It contains some (long time ago) proposed things as well my own ideas. I have a few more things in my mind but if there is something specific what you would like, do not hesitate and tell me (either here, in PM or preferably create an issue on GitHub).
James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.2 Christmas Edition)

As promised, the Christmas Update is finally out! Sadly, it does NOT contains anything from Chapter 6 but there are still many changes. Let us take a look.

The main of goal of this release was improving Chapter 1 as much as possible. I improved some dialogues and death speeches there. Epilogue for the "good" path was rewritten from scratch and it finally explains departure of Mubryn. I also added 2 new scenarios to the "good" path to make length of both parts even but it is possible to skip both new scenarios. And scenario The Last Battle is harder now as I added 1 more enemy side but you can get reinforcements at 2 special occasions (I will leave discovering them to you). The "evil" path also got some improvements. Firstly, now you get back your bandits upon returning to village just like in "good" path. The other change is reworked scenario The Poison. The dragon has the needed poison no longer with himself so you have to find it. He also starts with more gold. Also in both paths, the enemy has higher income in scenario The Assassin's Hideout (formally An Orcish Town).

Other chapters also received some updates. Infinite movement in scenario The Countess is finally working and the necklace in this scenario can harm now. Also all artifacts gained in this scenario are now lost at start of Chapter 5 (it did not apply to Ring of HP in previous versions). Scenario Besieged is harder on NORMAL and HARD. I decreased enemy spawns of these difficulty levels but now there is a chance that your and your ally's lost units will rise again as undead :twisted: .

Other changes: many scenarios (but mostly in Chapter 1) were renamed, the list can be found in changelog. Lemyr as lich now uses Prophet's sprites. Frost weapon special now deals cold damage at the start of a turn. Ravanal is now called Ravan (just like in mainline). Jolla Crusader has gotten a (unit type) description.
Zarkussell

Re: For Power (0.6.2a)

Post by Zarkussell »

I can't find tinry in chapter 4. I have explored every piece of land west of the bridge with Merissa and tinry is no where to be found:/ where is he?
James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.2a)

See this post for info about his location and/or other solutions.
(A note to myself: Hmm, I think that this qualifies as a frequently asked question. Maybe I could add it to the first post.)
James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.2.1)

New version is out. Changelog for this version follows:

Code: Select all

- improved description of some advancements
- Tinry is now level 3 when starting Chapter 2 from scratch
- decreased Clare's and Lemyr's base resistance to pierce to 0%
- assassin in scenario Orc's Region tells something when he reappears
- added Ghost to recruit list in The Poison
. I am planning to release next version with bigger changes (and possibly new scenarios) SOON. Planned changes can be found here. It will probably be for both Wesnoth 1.12 and 1.13.
James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.3)

It is finally here. Version 0.6.3 that you have been waiting for for so long (well, maybe). There are so many changes and you were probably not expecting them. But I will start with something totally predictable: there is finally something from Chapter 6. That includes one scenario with lots of talking and 2 battles. In the first one, your goal actually is to reach the other side of the map but it is not going to be a walk in the park. The second is quite ordinary, you just are not able to recruit. And that is all from Chapter 6 for now, more scenarios will come later.

But this is not the end of the changes for this version, it is just a start. There is something that you will probably like: scenario The Path of Revenge was turned into a battle. It is closing one act of Chapter 1 so it should not be done in just a cut scene. But probably some tweaks here are needed. Some scenarios also now have (improved) introductions, their full list can be found in changelog.

A few scenarios underwent bigger changes. Scenario Damsel in Distress is now easier on EASY and NORMAL, scenario The Underground harder on the other hand is harder now as both sides recruit units now. Enemies in Cleaning home start with more gold and have higher income and also in Avenger the enemy has more gold now but your reinforcements will arrive sooner now. Scenario Back in Underground also has a different feel now: Clare gets back all her movement after finding Ravan, you have a bit more turns to escape, the enemy has less gold but additional enemies are spawned all over the map.

I also decided that the cleric in Chapter 5 should be auto-recalled at start of every scenario if you keep him alive (and if he joins you at all). I disallowed recruiting in scenario New Home because it made no sense in the story. Secondary targets of shockwave are now also slowed as stated in the weapon special's description.

It will now be easier to start a chapter from scratch as all heroes get more advancements and you can actually choose them yourself (until now you could do that just for Clare).

But sadly (from certain point of view) there were many compatibility breaking changes that will render many of your save files not usable. Many scenarios were renamed since the very first version but I kept the original ids but I changed it in this version.

To the BC breaks category fall also changes done to heroes' advancements. I never wanted them to rely on just brute force and in the recent past I focused on (re)defining their roles. (This is does not apply to Jolla and Tinry as they do not spend so much time on the stage). I made many of their attacks weaker but in exchange they get interesting weapon specials and abilities. But some attacks (Clare's entangle and Merissa's chill tempest) were made stronger. And all four heroes (Clare, Lemyr, Merissa and Amiwen) have a bit more advancements now but they are tied with soul eater/redeem. Also lightbringer ability was completely redesigned, just see it yourself. And in addition, descriptions of some advancements were improved.

And that is all for now, details can be found in changelog. Oh, I almost forgot. This add-on is finally available for Wesnoth 1.13. I have already dealt with some issues on this version of Wesnoth but some are still present. If you find any, please report it.
rogul

Post by rogul »

I have been playing this in 1.13.2a for a while now (up to chapter 4) and then upgraded to 1.13.4. I have now noticed a couple of issues:

1. The save games didn't seem to work well so I went back to the start, and almost every time I end the first turn I get an runtime exception.
wesnothruntimeex.png
wesnothruntimeex.png (8.68 KiB) Viewed 4703 times
I played around with the scenario wml and if I comment out the

{MAKE_AI_SIDE_PERSISTENT 2} 

after side 2 it seems to work ok. Looking through that macro and the wml I can't see anything out of the ordinary so don't know if it an issue with 1.13.4 or For Power.

2. I also noticed after looking at the wml that the difficulty level isn't working properly. It seems that the

define=EASY/NORMAL/HARD
is missing from the difficulty sections in the 1.13.2 code, so it always defaults to Normal. Once I fixed that it turns out I can't get past scene 1 on hard - tried about 4 times, can get through on normal though.

Otherwise liking the series, if you need any more info or a save game let me know.
James_The_Invisible

Thank you for the reports. I fixed the missing defines in my working versions and will upload it to the add-ons server soon (but it is already on GitHub).
About the exceptions on ending turn/scenario, I am able to reproduce it on Wesnoth 1.13.4. It is indeed related to the use of macro MAKE_AI_SIDE_PERSISTENT but it seems that it is not specific to this campaign. I will pass it to the game developers.

Edit: Per a developer's advice, I replaced the above said macro with [side] persistent=yes which works like a charm. I am going to upload the fix very soon.
rogul

Post by rogul »

Have got to scenario 12 The Assassins Hideout and Clare's team doesn't appear. The orcs say their lines then the scenario ends with defeat.

Looking at the wml, the following line added to the scenario fixes it: ( I compared this with previous scenarios)

type=Clare_Red Mage
Also scenario 11 seems very easy. I have Clare as a silver mage and she just teleports through to the signpost on turn two, but then there is no early finish bonus, I guess because it is an unlimited turn scenario. Is Clare not meant to be a Silver Mage yet? I chose the "good" path in Haldar's cave.

A few ideas: Maybe the trigger point for the scouts should be any of the villages? Maybe the scouts should move towards the right of the map each turn to cut off escape.
rogul

Post by rogul »

Scenario 13 The Path to Revenge also has the missing type= issue.
James_The_Invisible

Well, I did not write type for Clare in scenarios 12 and 13 because it would be different for each path. If I remember correctly, this did not cause any problems on Wesnoth 1.12 but there are many changes in 1.13 so it might no longer work. I will look into it.
About scenario 11 (Orcish Scouts), I see now that the objectives are kind of obscure at the beginning. Sure, you can skip it by teleporting Clare to exit but if you move to the east, some enemies will appear and you have to kill them all before they reach the signpost. I will consider tweaking the objectives to somehow say it. And yes, there is no turn limit in this scenarios.
Thanks again for your feedback.
rogul

Post by rogul »

Just got to the end of chapter 1 and the epilogue has the persistent macro issue as well.
EDIT: A couple of scenarios in chapter 2 have it as well.

After changing the macro to persistent=yes, it works but I get the following error:
error scripting/lua: Mandatory WML child missing yet untested for. Please report.
stack traceback:
: in function 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:137: in function 'handle_event_commands'
lua/wml-tags.lua:383: in function 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:137: in function 'handle_event_commands'
lua/wml-tags.lua:264: in function <lua/wml-tags.lua:263>
[/quote]

And then when I start chapter 2 it says I have not completed Chapter 1, although the laurel wreath shows around chapter 1 in the campaign selection dialog.

Also am I meant to start with no recalls and no Tinry or Merissa at the start of chapter 2?
James_The_Invisible

rogul wrote:Just got to the end of chapter 1 and the epilogue has the persistent macro issue as well.
EDIT: A couple of scenarios in chapter 2 have it as well.
Oh, I forgot about that. Fixed it in my working version.
rogul wrote:After changing the macro to persistent=yes, it works but I get the following error:
In which scenario does it happen? In epilogue? Because that might explain the next issue.
rogul wrote:Also am I meant to start with no recalls and no Tinry or Merissa at the start of chapter 2?
Yes.
Introduction of Chapter 2 wrote:She left the village only with a few young mages who were eager to explore other lands.
But do not worry, they will all return to you at some point.

Edit: I just fixed missing Clare in scenarios 12 and 13 of Chapter 1. But for now it is just on GitHub (just like all fixes for issues that you reported). It will be a part of next release which should come out at tomorrow evening.
Edit: The update will also include a few changes in scenario Orcish Scouts. See changelog.
James_The_Invisible

Re: For Power (0.6.3.1)

As promised, new version is out. Besides already mentioned fixes it also contains some small changes. Scenarios Defend the Village an Flight have got a few new speeches. Scenario Orcish Scouts now have a bit clearer initial objectives, it also has turn limit now and you will no longer get early finish bonus for skipping the scenario. A few typos have been corrected.
rogul

Re: For Power (0.6.3.1)

Post by rogul »

Looks good. I saw that you have asked for some help with dialog, so I have made a few changes, mostly grammar, to the dialog of chapter 1. What's the best way to send you a archive of the scenario files?

Also while looking through the wml I saw that in 13 The Path of Revenge if Clare has taken the good path Halder comes and saves her, however it was never triggered. I changed the filters to Clare_Silver Mage / Clare_Red Mage rather than just Silver Mage and it works now. The storyline in the 14 The Price of Revenge makes sense now!