Blackspeech generator (now with a translator!)

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Blackspeech generator (now with a translator!)

Post by Dugi »

Anrbzyv udaz öthnyz durggroh bugḧryvzurguḧr. Uanr udaz dazabg dazzråmbzörd anrhyg gröhrup Gzÿvdyzäkhukuz'daz hazmüzdaz grohmärg ruzdyzguhr yuth urzburdyuth zubblurddaz ruzbzür Dazyvohznuz. Uanr udaz ygåvr abgruz öthnyz ubhyvvögdaz abgruz zyyrryyrvgöhvbäkḧ gzÿv müzdurthmuz häz ruzbakhrhÿgh bugḧryvzurguḧr züürd müzruuz mÿzgäkh abgruz. Nyzzuv bårgnyz zurbgaz uanr gyz nyzärrz zråmbgöhvgodrryvrabvb haz nÿzbgazgrohdorb, ydaz nyzzuv grohudørb, zubbhak dazduvz durgmüzbzüröḧbrruẗḧ daznäzgvÿbv uanr gzÿv häzmyzg öthgyzrüḧr gzÿv dazmüzånr häzöth, zubbhak ohbröthürrz hwoghydbgaz gyz uanr haz grohhygöhbr.

Do you want some abominable enemies in your campaign to speak an equally abominable language? I have created a translator to such a language. The language brings forth the deepest nightmares. Anyone who understands how its grammar works goes insane and becomes some like Georg Karl Grossmann. The language is so dark and guttural that when it is spoken, even the foulest orcs from the plains of Gorgoroth in Mordor tremble and ask Sauron to give them hugs.

The translator can translate from English and back, perfectly, because the language was designed to have an identical syntax than English. The ability to translate back might be damaged when I change version.

I have taken care to make it pronounceable. The rules of pronunciation are mostly phonetic:
double vowel - keep pronouncing it for longer
double consonant - pronounce it for longer or twice if you can't pronounce it for longer
r - the r like the Italian or Spanish languages use
th - as in English
sh - as in English
kh - as ch in German, like in Rache
h - (otherwise) if not alone, pronounce with a gurgling sound from the back from your mouth, somewhat like the r from French or German language
g - always pronounced normally, line in morgue
y - like ü in German
z - the usual one, like in hazard
(hard consonant group) - insert a mute e somewhere where it fits
others - as in English
I have intentionally restrained from letters like ü, ä, ő or û, because they are traits specific to some languages and I don't want it to remain any particular language. Letters l, j, i, e, c and f were not used because they do not sound sound evil enough. Letters x and q were not used because they look alien, but don't sound evil.

Due to feedback, I have added umlauts and other hard looking letters. Imagine its pronunciation as you wish.
Original post, I have created a translator since then:
Even older version of the post:
Last edited by Dugi on November 10th, 2016, 10:46 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Bob_The_Mighty

Re: Blackspeech generator

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Dugi, you are clearly a Vohz zubstruzg ruzothzur bakh. What a nuumbharoth idea!
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

awesome idea! though can someone pls explain me how exactly to translate normal phrases into these things, or maybe it's just random, and you select the kind of words it uses, if so, then i can understand
EDIT:yeah it's the latter, but still, it's pretty good, keep working on it!
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Maybe you could use some accented characters.

Is it supposed to be Tolkien's black speech? It looks a lot like it. (And the word for "ring" shows up a lot too.) It might be better to have something more distinct.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@beetlenaut
It follows the same philosophy, but it's not based on it. It's not trying to imitate it. I have just made it as foul as I could. I've replied to the part about accented characters in the initial post's last revision.

@ForestDragon
Just for record, at the moment, it just makes random gibberish. When I feel like the words are foul enough, I might make a translator.

I have made a small update to the initial post today.
Dugi

Re: Blackspeech translator

Post by Dugi »

I have made a translator into that language, it's described in the initial post, the link is there too.
ForestDragon

Re: Blackspeech generator (now with a translator!)

Post by ForestDragon »

Translator! oh my... i always dreamed to have some characters talk in a language that the player cant understand, oh, and will you make a backward translator (blackspeech>english)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

The link has translation both ways.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

oh, i forgot to scroll down a bit, whoops :oops: :lol:
wingsfalcon

Post by wingsfalcon »

how to instal blackspeech generator?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

wingsfalcon wrote:how to instal blackspeech generator?
it's actually a website accessed by clicking on the blue 'translator to such language' text, and basically, you'll be able to write normal text there in the upper par, and it'll get translated by pressing 'to Blackspeech' and vice-versa
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hruzbryvberz grohbhyv, dvyz brabdruuzruv khruzzybrup! Myzg hyyr blurdurhrdaz zerghurhrruv nuz-thurzgargberz zurdgybbhak brarghguur - u prepose zerz guurzub myzg avr dryg bharabgzergh arzurhr khruzzybrup hraz bru rabvbbhyvakh rumh dryg wesnoth ruhrvybvnaaz!

:D If only we could integrate this into the wesnoth gameplay....
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote: :D If only we could integrate this into the wesnoth gameplay....
it's simple, just put a pile of campaign text there and bam! it's ready :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ForestDragon wrote:it's simple, just put a pile of campaign text there and bam! it's ready :)
Yeah but i more meant, it would be cool if this translator could actually be added to the game... somehow... ;) however game play restricts the functionality of a translator.

but does give me a good idea that in one campaign all enemies talk in a foreign language and unless you've met some character or have some artifact you can't tell which option to choose to say to them! But if you do then you can persuade them not to attack you or something... EDIT: actually thats not that good a idea :P

But the translator is cool anyway!Great Job Dugi!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi Dugi i was thinking about the translator and it would be cool if your language had some umlout letters like in german and maybe some other cool symbols mixed in, that would make it more intimidating! :D