Wesnoth 1.13.4

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Wesnoth 1.13.4

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

It's still valid, and should remain so throughout 1.13.x, but the idea is that code should be changed to use "label" instead.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

So if I understood well, it will be not possible to install the game in the same directory as savegames ?
The option of choosing before the installation, was removed ?
If so I'm very disappointed, it was one of my favourite options that promotes portability of the game.

And how will all the low resolutions handled ?
Will they still be compatible like in previous versions ? Or some will be more supported?
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Yomar wrote:So if I understood well, it will be not possible to install the game in the same directory as savegames ?
The option of choosing before the installation, was removed ?
If so I'm very disappointed, it was one of my favourite options that promotes portability of the game.
If you paid a little more attention you’d notice that even though the install-time option is gone, you can still create/edit your shortcuts to change the user config+data dir to .\userdata if you have a good reason for it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

If you paid a little more attention you’d notice that even though the install-time option is gone, you can still create/edit your shortcuts to change the user config+data dir to .\userdata if you have a good reason for it.
I know, I read that part, I just don't understand why the option was removed, it was confortably having it "out of the box", If you don't liked it you could just use the other option, but why negating the user to use whatever option he likes the most ?

Now, I read your post about your reasons, but from my point of view, this just complicates things to users that want to install the game on removable devices and bring them to friends to play, I never had trouble finding my saves.
Where are Wesnoth saves ? Simple, in the save folder inside the game folder, if you don't remember the path just search the word save in the game folder, if you save in the my games folder and try to search in C: countless result come out.
In my point of view this goes against Kiss, not for the gameplay, but for its simplycity of use.
Even if there is still a way, many players don't know how to do that, like jung players that have no idea on how to link or ppl that don't know English or that just don't read posts, they just will notice that the option is gone and may be deluded.

Instead of removing the option, a writing could be added during the pre-installation, on the side or under the options, saying something like highly reccomended and saying clearly were the saves will go, something that was allready partly done if I remember well.
Or the second option could be moved down, to suggest that the first option is the standardt one but still leaving a simple way to who wants, to put everything in the game folder.
But warning that using the latter option can cause bugs (I never had problems, Idk what's the reason but it runs more stable, installed in that way.
Last edited by Yomar on May 3rd, 2016, 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I also explained that in the 1.13.2 announcement, as well as the bug report linked therein.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Oh well if this is the only way, then Ok.
Even if for some reason on my system the game allways resulted more stable if installed with saves in the Wesnoth folder, plus i lost a lot of saves, when I choosed to the mygames folder, because I use system cleanup programs, that remove crap, an they like to delete stuff in temp, documents and so on, I find them usefull, but they are bad for like some game saves and flash saves, for this I make local saves when I can.
My Wesnoth saves were safe with the "save in Wesnot's game folder option" till now...
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I’m sorry, but if whatever cleanup utility you are using removes files from your Documents directory then you should either find a way to disable that particular behavior or not use it at all (i.e. replace it). The whole point of Documents is that people are intended to save their personal files (possibly including work-related content!) in there.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Yep, searching trough the options I found a way to disable Document cleaning :P

But it was well hidden.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

It's fairly likely that 1.16 will have OpenGL support in any case.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

We might not even have 1.16.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I personally doubt that will happen. Also, you shouldn't say things that would be misleading like that.
Aginor
Inactive Developer

Post by Aginor »

I am still, slowly, working away at our graphics engine and trying to refactor it into such a way that it will be easy to make it use OpenGL. Having Wesnoth hardware accelerated is one of my main long-term goals, but there's still a lot of work that needs to be done before we can get there.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

vultraz wrote:We might not even have 1.16.
Is the situation still that bad? I had been under the (admittedly somewhat vague) impression that things had improved.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code