Add Official Changelog Reply in Gameplay Feedback Forum

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Otengam

Add Official Changelog Reply in Gameplay Feedback Forum

Post by Otengam »

Reading through the Gameplay Feedback of campaigns it's clear that there's been a bit of updates to the scenarios. One of the feedback questions is: "(1) ... version of Wesnoth...played the scenario" which is helpful to know but for a newer player without some form of changelog there's no way for him/her to know if the replies are actually relevant to their experience. It might be a good idea for the person in charge of the poster "Content Feedback" to officially reply within the thread with the new changes.

eg. SotBE 16 - Coward
BfW 1.6... Player originally doesn't start with encampment, player supposedly can take out one of the 2 nearby enemy leaders and take their encampment

Example replies for "Content Feedback" to post when there are new changes:
Changes in 1.11.15
+Player now given starting encampment
+Player starts further from enemy leaders
Changes in 1.2x.y
+Minimum starting Gold increased to 250
+South Western leader now has bodyguards
+(Scenario specific) AI behavior changed to conserve gold for final South Western leader defense
General changes to BfW should be in it's own Changelog/News not within these replies. There's no point repeating general BfW changes within these threads. "AI can now plan for grand strategies" or "Orcs Hitpoints increased" since 1.20 -> 1.21 would be a lot of copy+pasting.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Add Official Changelog Reply in Gameplay Feedback Forum

Post by Inky »

Another idea is instead of replies (which would further clutter the threads) there could be a new thread started for each release series of Wesnoth, maybe with the changelog included in the first post.

Also, one thing that really needs to be added to the Feedback forum is a link to the bug tracker on GNA; some players use these threads for bug reports which then tend to get forgotten.
Sire

Post by Sire »

Going off of these points, I would like a general feedback thread for more "written out" posts about the overall campaign instead of the arbitrary questions given out by the current guidelines. Currently, I find little need for a specific thread for each individual scenario (although it could be useful in the long run), favoring a more "general campaign feedback" approach that can be detailed should the player desires it to be.

I would also like to request that replays be added as a guideline, as watching replays of scenarios within a campaign can help immensely with its development.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Otengam

Post by Otengam »

Inky wrote:Another idea is instead of replies (which would further clutter the threads) there could be a new thread started for each release series of Wesnoth, maybe with the changelog included in the first post.

Also, one thing that really needs to be added to the Feedback forum is a link to the bug tracker on GNA; some players use these threads for bug reports which then tend to get forgotten.

I think replies would actually be better for a few reasons.

The sub-forum Mainline Campaign Feedback is the most organised part of the entire forum, each scenario has precisely one thread each and any feedback is given directly there. If new topics arose with every change then the sub-forum would become very very disorganised quickly.

Another reason to prefer replies to new topics for every change is that the number of replies are actually fairly low. I can understand that replies can get lost in popular threads but there is a solution. The first topic can be edited by "Content Feedback" to add new changes linking to the specific changelog reply within the thread.
Url: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=44111#p596595 links to your specific post Inky and the same can be done for "Content Feedback" changelogs for when a scenario changes.

It might be too much work to start making a changelog for all old posts so it could be something that's done from now onwards. I do like the idea of making the bug tracker more popular but I don't really know how to encourage it's use more. If there's someone who moderates that specific sub-forum then they might be able to keep posts updated with the relevant bug.
Sire wrote:Going off of these points, I would like a general feedback thread for more "written out" posts about the overall campaign instead of the arbitrary questions given out by the current guidelines. Currently, I find little need for a specific thread for each individual scenario (although it could be useful in the long run), favoring a more "general campaign feedback" approach that can be detailed should the player desires it to be.

I would also like to request that replays be added as a guideline, as watching replays of scenarios within a campaign can help immensely with its development.
Those are some good point too.

When you think of review it's less of a question and answer format but the topics per scenario is useful in it's own way. There's a campaign topic in each of the campaign sub-sub-forums too eg: Son of the Black Eye - Index this is a locked thread but I don't see why it couldn't be unlocked for general whole campaign feedbacks.

There's actually no reason why people posting feedback within the scenarios threads can't post replays. I seem to recall that some members do do that already. Perhaps it could be one of the questions posed by Content Feedback. "(10) [Optionally] Upload your replay if relevant" For a general walkthrough I think there is a somewhat poorly edited wiki somewhere too. Improving that might be part of a different topic.