Poll's number of options limitation

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

Poll's number of options limitation

Post by Aldarisvet »

For now seems that there is a limit of maximum 15 lines in the poll. Is there a technical possibility to rise this ceiling to at least 50 lines? Otherwise we cannot make a vote about most favorite UMC campaigns.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
skeptical_troll

Re: Poll's number of options limitation

Post by skeptical_troll »

If that's not feasible, a possibility is to split the poll in multiple blocks. I think this kind of poll should be one with multiple options, i.e. each user can vote for all campaigns he considers worth including in the package. With only one choice for each one, numbers would be low, and without infos about the 'second best campaign' of each player. It will basically be a 'like' competition, so there is no problem in breaking it up. What do you think?
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Of course in this case we will use a multiple choice, I think 3 votes for kinda 50 campaigns can be suitable. Splitting a poll in multiple blocks (i.e forum threads ) would be inconvenient, this is not a good idea.

But I am waiting for an answer for the question from the forum admin. As I know how such modules for the forums as poll module is constructed, the limit is defined manually in the mudule's settings, so it might be possible to simply change a limit in the settings.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Aldarisvet wrote:For now seems that there is a limit of maximum 15 lines in the poll. Is there a technical possibility to rise this ceiling to at least 50 lines? Otherwise we cannot make a vote about most favorite UMC campaigns.
This has to be the weirdest question anyone’s ever asked.

Considering that the potential number of add-on campaigns in existence at any given point in time is virtually infinite, I am afraid I cannot accede to this request.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

shadowm wrote: This has to be the weirdest question anyone’s ever asked.

Considering that the potential number of add-on campaigns in existence at any given point in time is virtually infinite, I am afraid I cannot accede to this request.
What is weird in this question?
The number of finished and playable campaigns is not infinite, epecially at the current moment. We know that there are 125 campaigns at 1.12 add-ons server for now, and at least half of them unfinished for sure. And 50 is not an infinity.

Please explain your postion more clearly otherwise it looks like "because the sun rises in the East I cannot accede to this request". Hmm. Possibly it looks even more like "because the sun rises in the West I cannot accede to this request".
Last edited by Aldarisvet on April 27th, 2016, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I don't find the question weird.

@Aldarisvet: Maybe we should make a round first where players can suggest a campaign. If we have ~50 campaigns on the add-ons server with a version number >1, probably not all would be suggested; thus, in the next round, the number would be smaller.

I don't know if it would be possible to have a bot in the mp lobby could send a message about the poll after signing on, that way we would reach people that are not that often in the forum.
I have a cunning plan.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

@nuorc

Well, this is a way to go for sure. There are some campaigns that finished but I suspect that no one would suggest them for different reasons, they are forgotten or never was popular. But I am sure that that people will suggest more than 15 campaigns. From ther other side, would be good to give a chance in a vote to all finished and playable campaigns.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Aldarisvet wrote:What is weird in this question?
The number of finished and playable campaigns is not infinite, epecially at the current moment. We know that there are 125 campaigns at 1.12 add-ons server for now, and at least half of them unfinished for sure. And 50 is not an infinity.

Please explain your postion more clearly otherwise it looks like "because the sun rises in the East I cannot accede to this request". Hmm. Possibly it looks even more like "because the sun rises in the West I cannot accede to this request".
You are asking me to allow anyone and everyone to post polls with enough options to fill up several pages of content that people will have to sift through, with the very real possibility that this new limit will eventually be deemed insufficient as well. This is not an approach I am comfortable with.

Also, it would be great if you could tone down the passive-aggressiveness in your posts. Demanding things from me or any of the other volunteers running this site (or the OSS project proper, for that matter) isn’t going to get you places faster.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

shadowm wrote: You are asking me to allow anyone and everyone to post polls with enough options to fill up several pages of content that people will have to sift through, with the very real possibility that this new limit will eventually be deemed insufficient as well. This is not an approach I am comfortable with.
Well, I am not asking it for everyone. Could you please make a temprorary exception for just one vote? Later, when we would be ready for the vote.
shadowm wrote: Also, it would be great if you could tone down the passive-aggressiveness in your posts. Demanding things from me or any of the other volunteers running this site (or the OSS project proper, for that matter) isn’t going to get you places faster.
I am not demanding anything, I am asking. But you called my question wierd and I found that your answer is wierd :D
What I really want is a constructive work to be done. If devs simple agaisnt that idea with that UMC Pack or even against vote about UMC, why dont they say it directly asap so we will not waste a time for nothing. But you can understand us - if there is no possibility to vote openly and using official forum's means, we cant go further, so your answer looks like indirect mockery under the whole idea. If there are only forum admin's issues about future of the poll as an instrument, then as I wrote above, I respectfully ask to make us temporary exception just for one vote.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I am also not entirely sure why this is the "weirdest question anyone’s ever asked".
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

shevegen wrote:I am also not entirely sure why this is the "weirdest question anyone’s ever asked".
I already explained this. See my previous post, first paragraph.
Aldarisvet wrote:What I really want is a constructive work to be done. If devs simple agaisnt that idea with that UMC Pack or even against vote about UMC, why dont they say it directly asap so we will not waste a time for nothing.
I told you in my PM that I am not acting on behalf of the dev team, and granting everyone the ability to create polls was simply a long overdue task which I wanted done as part of a larger update. Nothing of what I am saying should be construed as the developers’ opinion. I do have my own opinions on the matter but they certainly did not influence my decision to reject your request. I am merely worried about setting a precedent for more future exceptions concerning not just the poll system.

Also, at no point did I exclude or forbid the option of using an external poll service that could potentially allow you to obtain a much more fine-grained tally than what the n-selection system has to offer, or even reach that 90% of the player base that does not use the forums.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

shadowm wrote: I am merely worried about setting a precedent for more future exceptions concerning not just the poll system.
Well, such scrupulousness seems strange to me, obviously it would be convinient to use forum poll for so important thing (as I see it), but at least your position is clear for me finally, so thank you.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

shadowm wrote:granting everyone the ability to create polls
Thank you for having done this now, hopefully it'll help us. ;)
shadowm wrote:reach that 90% of the player base that does not use the forums.
Should we try to reach them? My suggestion above was met with some criticism, but I still think 'we' could (temporarily) modify the server's greeting message in the mp lobby. What do you think?
I have a cunning plan.