The Golden Age

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ForestDragon

Re: The Golden Age (WIP era)

Post by ForestDragon »

0.1.6 is out
made a female version of elvish civilian (yes, that's what everyone been waiting for, for some time, if you are interested, it's in my art thread too), replaced shadowm.'s civilian sprite with Celtic Minstrel's,added elvish Treewalker branch (from Druidsiege, and of course i nerfed the unit a bit)
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

0.1.7 is out! changes:minor elvish civilian graphic tweaks, lvl4 Death Lord,nerfed Glavier damage (24-2>22-2),Elvish Pikeman branch,fixed undead recruit list, death baron has submerge

i would REALLY like some feedback, not necessarily major things, like some units being OP, but also minor balance stuff: minor stat adjustments,faction VS faction balance and just commenting about anything about my era.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

0.1.8 is out! sorry for the delay, you know, real life and stuff (fairly little spare time), ok so here is the stuff i added:
Khalifate faction (those guys really deserve more attention from UMC creators than they have (i mean as, like protagonists, OoA has a pretty nice focus on those guys)) might need balancing (but i think they are ok for now, well except that they have liminal 6-3 archer backstab which costs 18g :shock: :lol:, hey, at least he is liminal, and i take that stuff into consideration), a crab unit (i like adding misc monsters, just because! :) )and please, comment, ok? to me minor critique is a lot politer, cuz if you aren't responding, i feel like my work is being ignored, best regards, ForestDragon (P.S. take as an example DeCoolest_Cat's critique, it's not insulting or criticizing, but rather plain helpful, man, one of his posts even helped me fix a gigantic mistake i made (using advancefroms, thats the stuff every era avoids)).
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

*removed*
Last edited by ForestDragon on May 14th, 2016, 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey :)
Please don't take this wrong, but i think you might be a little bit overestimating your add on here. Feedback generally is really scarce in wesnoth, especially for umc. Many authors have maintained their add-ons for years without receiving Feedback.
Every Add-On author knows the struggle and is happy about feedback but asking for it repeatedly in your Forum Topic won't change this. People also give more feedback to campaigns AFAIK. Look on the server, there a tons of eras of which half has never seen any reviews. If you want feedback your stuff needs to be really really really good or show a lot of visible Bugs. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean your Content is bad, it just means that it isn't super exciting for players so most of them who tried it won't even Post anything. There's also that not many people have a forum account or even know about the forum.
Best regards,
Paulomat4 :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

ok, sorry, i am just kind of impatient, you know.
oh,and while doing my everyday stuff, i accidentally came up with an Elvish Noble description:

Armed with a sword, faerie magic and the skills they honed since childhood, elvish nobles are reckless, adventurous, while properly educated youths. Those who manage to win in quite a few battles are even promoted to second-class lords.

basically they are similiar to Kaleh from UtBS. comment appreciated
EDIT: now without 'by elvish standards', since it is really confusing because it's difficult to understand what it means, it can mean about education, or their age
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

decided to come up with a few more descriptions for units in my era:
Orcish Peon:
Militiaman:
once again, comment is welcome
ForestDragon

Re: TGA Update notification

Post by ForestDragon »

0.1.9 is out!
added naga hunter melee anim, removed steadfast from giant crab, orcish peon (lvl 0, i made the unit file all myself, and the description too),new militiaman description (cuz the old one was way too similiar to peasant's), Ealim (khalifate Scholar),Glavier bob anim, new Glavier portrait, new elvish pikeman portrait,lvl0 dwarf anims
it's pretty easy to make your era (add-on) unique, if you are an artist (not necessarily from skratch, i prefer recoloring, frankensteining and animating)
IPS

Post by IPS »

Well, some feedback of balance to the era, comenting most relevant cases at the era.

1.- About elvish pikemen, I like the idea of bonus units and so, but I'm not right at making them stronger ofensively than mainline units which in default they were made to complete a rol, talking about human pikemen. It's known that elves are physicaly weaker than humans are but at being more agile. I don't see any reasson at all why this pikeman has to be 11-3 while human pikeman is 10-3, apart that lv3 deals as much damage as human Halberd but in 4 strikes which looks much more ok but ... dealing more damage at the 2nd atack which is blade. Another point that he's welding an armor that is better than halberd is (60% physical resistances vs 40% at human halberd) which this armor looks better and in real life would weight more. Other than that, Sylvan concept looks fine. To compesate all this you can lower the required xp of elvish pikeman to lv3 and maybe the costs of lv2 and lv3.

2.- Dwarvish Flame Thrower line is ridicously overpowered. They're so much better than thunderguard even at base damage and for balance terms fire atack type is much better atack type than pierce is. Sugesting to make their lv2 14-2 or 9-3 in order to don't overshine thunderguards. Lv3 seems to be more balanced than lv2 is, but probably 15-3 or 21-2 would been working better for him.

3.- Skeleton Rider looks a way too expensive, he would be worth if it does cost at least 19g, but bonus units being too cost ineficent will be ignored by most people. Other choice you could consider to undead faction is giving a whole patch of ghost at lv2 and above to give it a 3rd option which specializes at ranged and maybe a lv1 of shadow with skirmisher/backstab.

Noticing as well that Lich at here caps just at lv3, not at lv5 as said in the era.

4.- Orcish Berserker is being extremely overpowered at overperforming by a lot the ulfseker at all damage, defense and equivalent physical resistances. I see no reasson of his early resistances or brutal damage, but you have to review that unit in order to make him more match to ulfseker by lowering this orc cost efficiency; apart of that, looks good that orcs can finally have a decent line breaker which work for the current turn. But this line lv1 and lv2 needs nerfs.

5.- Orcish Shaman looks weak compared to witch doctor. Witch doctor can heal, have jinx which he and other orcs can use as well as a bonus arcane ranged magical weapon, so I would sugest to buff Orcish Shaman by stronger stats or by giving him a new aura. Maybe you could fix this by giving the 2nd magical arcane atack to shaman line instead of witchdoctors.

6.- Just curious, I don't find any lv1 origin to Skiya, apart of that, anything looks fine at Khalifate.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I don't see any reasson at all why this pikeman has to be 11-3 while human pikeman is 10-3
That may be in part because the elvish pikeman is taken from my campaign and is more designed as a hero unit and thus not balanced at all.

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

@IPS: valid point
1.yep i'll make lvl2 10-3, and lvl3 blade 19-2, and about res. , you are mistaken, elvish halberdier only has 20% phys., so that's weaker than human (done), and maybe i should also make it, so that pikeman line won't get dexterous trait (well, that's unless advanced from Fighter)
2.of course!, i'll nerf him to lvl2 9=3 and lvl3 14-3, by the way, fun fact: in IftU, he has 16-3 damage :shock: :shock: , yeah, i ain't kidding, i had to nerf him to 12-3 first. EDIT: i think 14-2 and 21-2 are also promising candidates, plus, i decided to give them a 1/3 splash to compensate for the nerf a bit
3.yeah, i myself was a bit bugged by that, oh and 19g will do perfectly, and about optional lines, i like the idea :D , maybe copy those riders from Archaic Era, don't you think?
->necromancer->arch necromancer
and about lich, i planned it to be like:adept->sorcerer->lich->ancient lich-->lich lord
4.i guess 4-4 lvl1 and 7-4 and poor defence will do fine
5.going to do something about it...
6.it's because there wasn't a lvl1 version for him in the first place, he was supposed to be advancable from Jundi (monawish already filled that spot, so maybe i'll make him advancable from Zarif (lvl1 Monawish))
@Paulomat4:no i didn't copy it from your add-on, i copied it from Era of More Units (because it has anims, and unlike your pikeman, is more elvish)
Last edited by ForestDragon on May 14th, 2016, 8:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

@Paulomat4:no i didn't copy it from your add-on, i copied it from Era of More Units (because it has anims, and unlike your pikeman, is more elvish)
Sry, my mistake :)

IPS

Post by IPS »

ForestDragon wrote:3.yeah, i myself was a bit bugged by that, oh and 19g will do perfectly, and about optional lines, i like the idea :D , maybe copy those riders from Archaic Era, don't you think?
Sounds fine if you take some balance considerations. Despair riders are considerably cheaper than horsemen, but their damage is 7-2 (cold charge). From balance it's know that cold is very superior than Pierce as atack type, so in order to make that particular unit more balanced againist default factions like drakes, you can do some or all of this:

1.- 7-2 cold againist drakes is somehow high, around 18-2 or 20-2 againist drakes. But to nerf these againist drakes we can just make him 4-3 (12-3 when charging drakes at 0% ToD) which is a nerf considering that charging units has to do massive amounts of damage in a strike in order to take less retaliation. This point is mostly to be less compared that a simple 'copy' of loyalist horsemen and to make it more different than Dark Adepts which have 2 strikes as well.
note: No, 8-3 againist normal units when charging isn't low at all considering it's cold and mele, which is an alternative way to do cold damage than dark adept, with the diference this is mele, also he doesn't need to be more cost efficent than normal units consdering horsemen would been considebly superior but at being much more expensive (see 2.-) and is an ofensive counter of units like Heavy Infantries which have lower defenses than normal). Remember he's still a scout role unit.
2.- Raising his costs, he doesn't own that many resistances than loyalist horsemen, he moves 1 less tile, no traits, but he has 40% over moats and some other adventages like not being poisonable. Minimum recomended price is 19g or higher.
3.- Removing 60% forest defense at him, he's mean to be more 'spectral' than an elf lol.
4.- Would sugest a 20% resistance to blade/impact instead of the standard 10% to fit better his small nerfs on damage. Also as well no bonus pierce resistance due sounds logic that when charging, spears tend to be more dangerous weapons than clubs or swords are ... even if you're spectral! and about fire/cold/arcane you can try something like this: 40% to cold, 10% to fire and -10% to arcane.

Also, you can mantain these resistanes to all its level up. At lv2 it's known that those rider gains a spear mele atack as bonus, you can mantain that weapon damage exactly intact as well making a soft but considerable upgarade to his charges to 6-3 cold charge (around a 50% damage improvement, similar ratio of upgarade than horsemen to Knights).

About the no lv3 one but with ranged... you can try making its mele something like 5-3 or 4-4 but mantaining those skulls which are strong artillery. But considering it into 5-4 impact (marskman) because skulls can hurt, but 7-3 looks ... what, a skull hurting more than a well aimed arrow from elf? mmm.... people tend to forgive realistic details at making those stats, apart that skulls aren't good proyectiles due aren't very air dynamic. You can also mind of 5-5 but with no marskman as an aditional weapon or as unique ranged weapon.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IPS@: valid point, but i am not sure how exactly to use those despair riders, either fromlvl1 to max, or as optional lvl2-3 advancement
by the way, about a charging unit, i had an idea like this: (7-2 melee pierce, and a 5-3 impact to finish off stuff, lvl1), basically, he isn't as deadly as a horseman, but has better survivability due to his skeleton-like resistance, cost will be, i don't know, 21 or 22, i think.well, your might be an ok one too
EDIT: i guess your idea is convincing enough to me
EDIT2:i think in the next update, i'll be more focusing on undead
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

0.1.10 is out! yeah, got back to my era once again, changelog over here:
nerfed quite a few things,improved TGA RPG, added TGA Minimalist (lvl1 leaders, lvl0 recruits,Black Rider line,a few tweaks to khalifate, added lesser splash to flamethrower line (don't worry, i nerfed the damage beforehand), added Gyrocopter line)