Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Whoa... new HTTT portraits

Post by turin »

If you haven't noticed, there are new portraits for HttT in CVS. They look like they were done by Jetryl, although i'm not sure. But anyway, they're F**king awesome! Delfador I at first thought had been ripped from a professional game.

Kalenz is kind of strange, but all the others are great.

Just thought i'd call your attention to this. :D
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Whoa... new HTTT portraits

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:Kalenz is kind of strange, but all the others are great.
Kalenz is the only one I like...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

I don't like Kalenz' portrait too much because it doesn't look as finished as the others

The Konrad will take some adjustment to get used to, but overall it's really well done. I'm not a big fan of the spiky hair, even if it's not exactly anime style (thank goodness).

Lisar looks great. I don't know about the bare midriff, though. Wesnoth isn't Acapulco.

And then there's Delfador. I think this could be the crown jewel. The hand holding the staff looks a tiny bit too small (you could say the same for Konrad).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Whoa... new HTTT portraits

Post by freim »

turin wrote:Kalenz is kind of strange, but all the others are great.
Agree. The others are great, while Kalenz look a bit unpolished compared to the others. Delfador is suberb!

My only complaint is that overall their hands are to small, it makes them look like children.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Huh? It appears I'm either [censored] or the links to the actual pictures are hidden somewhere... :?:

EDIT: found them. nevermind.

And they look a lot better than the current ones.

Why is Li'sar so sad, though? The others too don't look excactly happy...
Last edited by Ankka on January 24th, 2005, 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

There's a reason Kalenz is a bit unpolished compared to the rest - it's because his portrait is a hack - it was shaded using a completely different method than normal, and was done off of just the top half of the picture.

Why? Given that it is better than what it replaced, I didn't want to hold the others back. His will be joining them in quality soon, but I wasn't terribly concerned because all of these are an interim solution.

" :shock: huh?"

Yes - I've worked my ass off on this, and though the attached picture is not finished, we will have full-size pictures for HttT, once the code gets written. Hopefully, the full-size pictures will be shown in the help section, and the first speaking dialog when you encounter the character (though the speech dialog will need a bit of a redesign, it is worth doing since any artist who makes a full portrait will need the redesign).

:D I've been waiting for this, for a long time. I'm glad my skills have finally caught up with my intentions, somewhat.

(I should thank God for his mercy, in that practice, an astronomical amount in this case, actually does result in a noticeable improvement in skill. Because there are people for whom a great deal of practice does *nothing*. Weep for them, if ever you do for anything.)
Last edited by Jetrel on July 16th, 2005, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

Oooh, those do look a lot better! I would agree that Konrad's hand looks a bit small though. Also, I'm guessing the one for Asheviere hasn't been redone?
Ankka wrote:Why is Li'sar so sad, though? The others too don't look excactly happy...
I don't tend to think of happiness and war as going together, so it works for me... especially considering the tragic events some of these characters have had to deal with.
scott

Post by scott »

Determined would be a better facial expression. I would say she fares pretty well as far as war goes.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Ok... you guys are right. On second look she doesn't look so sad...

But I agree with the people, the hands are too small.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Li'sar and Delfador look amazing Jetryl! The rest are good, but not quite as jaw dropping. Still awesome work.

About Li'sar, I really love the above full body image. The detail on her sword and white skirt/shawl/cloth are really beautiful and it is too bad that they get cut off in the portrait. I realize that a really narrow tall image would look bad as a portrait. But perhaps when Li'sar first introduces herself we can use the full body portrait, to show her in her full glory, and then use the head shot for the rest of her conversation. It would be sad if we never got to see the work you did on her white cloth and sword in the game.
scott

Post by scott »

Ankka wrote:Ok... you guys are right. On second look she doesn't look so sad...

But I agree with the people, the hands are too small.
I think she looks sad... but should look determined

edit: ...and cold. How about some shivering?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Elvish_Pillager

And where's lisar_angry?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Full size li'sar is good, but I don't agree with the thong-as-armor deal going on here. She should at least have thigh pads; if you have someone slashing at your exposed thigh with a sword, you will be crippled very quickly. Her lack of a shield makes this even more imperative.
Elvish Pillager wrote:And where's lisar_angry?
gone. This was explained (or at least mentioned) in the CVS log, IIRC.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I do like these. A nitpicky detail that is not worth changing. Her head seems awfully big, which could either be the hair, or maybe just that she is from Wesnoth...

You have definately improved quite a bit since you first posted... :)
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:Full size li'sar is good, but I don't agree with the thong-as-armor deal going on here. She should at least have thigh pads; if you have someone slashing at your exposed thigh with a sword, you will be crippled very quickly. Her lack of a shield makes this even more imperative.
That's why she takes +30% damage from Blade.