Battle for Wesnoth on Steam

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

HaydenRead

Battle for Wesnoth on Steam

Post by HaydenRead »

Hi all,
I was just wondering what users views are on getting Battle for Wesnoth onto Steam.
Doing some research, it seems that it has been attempted in the past, but was then abandoned.

I am willing to do the work to try and get this game onto Steam if people think it is a good idea.
vultraz
Developer

Re: Battle for Wesnoth on Steam

Post by vultraz »

The general consensus is that we do want to put Wesnoth on Steam. There are a few internal matters that have to be resolved first, though, which we're currently working on.

Outside of those, the major sticking point is that Steam Greenlight submissions require a game trailer, and we don't have anyone to make a new one (the one we currently have was made in 2010 and no longer reflects the state of the game). I'm considering issuing an open call for trailer submissions soon, but if you know someone who could help with making a new trailer that would be invaluable.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
--cy

Post by --cy »

Turuk was working on one in June 2014. Just saying.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Unfortunately, Turuk vanished shortly thereafter and hasn't been around for any significant length of time since. If he completed his effort, we never received it. :(
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

vultraz wrote:The general consensus is that we do want to put Wesnoth on Steam. There are a few internal matters that have to be resolved first, though, which we're currently working on.

Outside of those, the major sticking point is that Steam Greenlight submissions require a game trailer, and we don't have anyone to make a new one (the one we currently have was made in 2010 and no longer reflects the state of the game). I'm considering issuing an open call for trailer submissions soon, but if you know someone who could help with making a new trailer that would be invaluable.

Any updates on this yet? I would love to see Wesnoth on Steam
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

No updates yet. We still need that trailer. Once we get that, we can move ahead.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Is anybody working on a trailer, now that Turuk seems to have vanished again?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I was working on one back in the day, and I’d like to take a second crack at it. (I even installed Wesnoth on Linux in Parallels just to do so, to record with that version.)

Give me a week… but if someone else wants to — as they may be able to do a much better job than me — then may the best trailer win!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
bproberts

Post by bproberts »

There is an older official trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3P39lppcH4

It still looks reasonably current to me, I don't see why it can't be used.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Admittedly, there are 7 factions now though. Besides, it's already been this long, waiting another couple days for ancestral makes little difference at this point.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Can I just ask what programs one can use to make trailers for wesnoth?
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Any standard screencapture software like Fraps or the built-in functionality with the Windows 10 Xbox app to capture the footage, and any video editing software capable of producing an HD video for youtube.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Hey team!

I hope to have a version ready for your scrutiny and criticism by late Wednesday.

Thanks!

Edit: Taking a bit longer than expected. Here is a draft without captured video. I will likely need another week.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

ancestral wrote:Hey team!

I hope to have a version ready for your scrutiny and criticism by late Wednesday.

Thanks!

Edit: Taking a bit longer than expected. Here is a draft without captured video. I will likely need another week.
I think it would probably be a good idea for the text to be on the top of the screen, rather than the bottom, as it tends to overlap the text in the in-game messages. Also maybe add a couple extra seconds before switching to the next piece of text, since at least a couple of them I barely had time to read.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Just saw the draft. Looking good :) Besides seconding Pent's suggestion, I don't really have any critique. A few of the transitions seemed a bit slow, but that will probably change in the final product.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!