Blymurkla asks scenario & campaign development questions

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blymurkla

Blymurkla asks scenario & campaign development questions

Post by Blymurkla »

As can be deducted from my two previous threads, I'm sort of developing a campaign of my own. I assume a lot of new people have come here, stated their grand intentions - and failed (although, I suppose a few grew in to regulars and superb campaign writers). I'm not going to do that. The chance of me actually finishing a campaign anyone would enjoy playing is slim, but I'll enjoy the process whatever the end result.

What I am going to do is start this thread to ask various development questions (most probably relating to WML coding) that will arise. Yes, I know, I should - and will - consult the wiki first whenever I run into problems but nevertheless that won't always suffice. Most questions will probably rather be minor, therefore I feel it is preferable to gather them all in one - this - thread rather than cluttering the forums with several threads of 1-3 posts each. This, however, leads to my first two questions:

- Is this a good idea?

- Is this thread posted in the right place?

For good measure, I'll ask a question that is less meta.

-In my campaign's first scenario, I moved the leader keys from the [side] tag into a [unit] tag under that side, adding no_leader=yes to the side as I was getting an error when starting about creating a unit in an empty field. Now, having my leader in a unit tag worked fine for that scenario but I am no longer getting a recall list in the next scenario. Do I need to have a leader specified already in side to get a recall list, or is there a workaround (or something else I'm doing wrong?)? I moved the leader to the unit tag because I want to change leader during and between scenarios and figured it would be easier if each leader-candidate had her own unit tag. Might be wrong on that one, though.
Dugi

Re: Blymurkla asks scenario & campaign development questions

Post by Dugi »

Is starting writing a campaign a good idea. Hell yeah. But it takes many hours of time, and sometimes it can be very boring (such as copying some coordinates from map to code), so you have to be sure that you'll keep with it until the end.

Now about your problem:
The side has to have a leader or the attribute no_leader=yes. If there is a leader, his unit attributes and subtags have to be defined together with side attributes inside the [side] tag. He does not have to be able to recruit. You can also add another unit to the side that can recruit.

It's not very logical, but the simplest most basic side has a leader that stands on a keep and recruits and the shortest code to write everything about that is the mix the leader's properties with the side's properties.
Blymurkla

Post by Blymurkla »

Dugi wrote:Is starting writing a campaign a good idea. Hell yeah. But it takes many hours of time, and sometimes it can be very boring (such as copying some coordinates from map to code), so you have to be sure that you'll keep with it until the end.
I was rather taking about if starting this thread was a good idea or not =)
Dugi wrote:Now about your problem:
The side has to have a leader or the attribute no_leader=yes. If there is a leader, his unit attributes and subtags have to be defined together with side attributes inside the [side] tag. He does not have to be able to recruit. You can also add another unit to the side that can recruit.

It's not very logical, but the simplest most basic side has a leader that stands on a keep and recruits and the shortest code to write everything about that is the mix the leader's properties with the side's properties.
Hm. I'm currently going with no_leader=yes (and a unit who has canrecruit=yes) but I believe this is hindering me from recalling veterans at the following scenario. Don't understand why, and was wondering why. But you sort of gave me a solution that might work - having a leader defined in [side] who doesn’t recruit. That might work. Thanks!
Blymurkla

Post by Blymurkla »

Hm. After studying the list of subforms, I thought maybe this thread would be more at home in the WML Workshop.Oh, well, that's up to the moderators.

I'm writing end-scenario events and ran into a problem I have trouble getting around. I need at least two ways to end the scenario with a victory - one depending on an event having been fired already and one in case that event haven't been fired. I don't now how to accomplice that.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Blymurkla wrote:I'm writing end-scenario events and ran into a problem I have trouble getting around. I need at least two ways to end the scenario with a victory - one depending on an event having been fired already and one in case that event haven't been fired. I don't now how to accomplice that.
Well, probably easiest is to set a variable in the event, and then when later you need to determine whether that event was fired, use an [if] to check the value of that variable. For example HttT scenario 3 has a very basic system like that (the received_mages variable).
Blymurkla

Post by Blymurkla »

zookeeper wrote:
Blymurkla wrote:I'm writing end-scenario events and ran into a problem I have trouble getting around. I need at least two ways to end the scenario with a victory - one depending on an event having been fired already and one in case that event haven't been fired. I don't now how to accomplice that.
Well, probably easiest is to set a variable in the event, and then when later you need to determine whether that event was fired, use an [if] to check the value of that variable. For example HttT scenario 3 has a very basic system like that (the received_mages variable).
Thanks, I'll check that out and see if I can use something similar.