SlyVenom's Frankenportraits...

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SlyVenom

SlyVenom's Frankenportraits...

Post by SlyVenom »

I made theese to go with Affably Evil (for my own enjoyment) but if anyone else can use them, or make suggestions/criticisms to improve them.
Affably Evil Frankenportraits
Last edited by SlyVenom on November 25th, 2015, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyVenom

Re: SlyVenom's Frankenportraits...

Post by SlyVenom »

Here is the first of the ones I'm working on for A New Order (for my own amusement) as I really like the Akladians as a substitute for Half-Orcs.
Already had to fix the file, as I initially had him incorrectly holding a spear instead of a sword...
Protector, Shieldguard, Pikinier, Homeguard & Fastfoot
profile_protector.png
profile_protector.png (291.34 KiB) Viewed 9130 times
profile_shieldguard.png
profile_shieldguard.png (222.56 KiB) Viewed 9130 times
profile_pikinier.png
profile_pikinier.png (247.81 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
profile_homeguard.png
profile_homeguard.png (225.95 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
profile_fastfoot.png
profile_fastfoot.png (177.99 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
It's not perfect, but I'm happy enough with the Pikinier
Added the Homeguard & Fastfoot.
Last edited by SlyVenom on November 26th, 2015, 5:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Did you seriously create portraits by cutting up and joining other peopel's potraits? if so, I'm trully impressed.
As portraits I can't say much because I don't know that much about portraits and I've fallen behind on the newer versions of Wesnoth and don't have all the new campaigns, etc.
As franks, you seem to have done well since I can't see any major areas of discontinutiy and sudden changes in tone, colour, etc. I might change my opinion if I were familiar with the portraits you used and saw something like a massive resemblence, etc. But so far I'd say well done.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
SlyVenom

Post by SlyVenom »

Thank you, that is exactly what I did, hopefully they can be of some use to others.

The last three for a New Order (none of them have much gametime so I may have cut corners...)
Buffin, Gauri & Luc
The Three NPC's
buffin.png
buffin.png (250.38 KiB) Viewed 8955 times
gauri.png
gauri.png (232.78 KiB) Viewed 9054 times
luc.png
luc.png (177.02 KiB) Viewed 9054 times
Had to fix Buffin...
Last edited by SlyVenom on December 2nd, 2015, 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
SlyVenom

Post by SlyVenom »

Here are a few I did for Legend of the Invincibles (for my own amusement)
Delenia, Stormrider, Krux II & Vritra
Delenia.png
Delenia.png (194.75 KiB) Viewed 8717 times
Stormrider.png
Stormrider.png (349.14 KiB) Viewed 9007 times
Krux.png
Krux.png (165.51 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
Vritra.png
Vritra.png (301.23 KiB) Viewed 7660 times
Fixed Delania and tried to make Krux (The Second) younger looking.
Added Vritra.
Last edited by SlyVenom on December 22nd, 2015, 5:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Uhh, I made frankenstain portrait from Helicrom half year ago for main hero of my campaign (I thought that Helicrom is not very known character), and you putted helicrom-frankenstaining to almost industrial scale :shock: :)
Now after you made Efraim from Helicrom and since LotI is quite popular, I am afraid that the uniqueness of my campaign's main character would be spoiled highly.

Heh, I also going to make a silver mage with head of footpad for my hero, and you made it already for Luc. But for me he is too fat for my young hero. I am going to remove fat from his abdomen :lol:

In general, not bad work, Delenia looks best.
Last edited by Aldarisvet on December 4th, 2015, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Aldarisved wrote:Now after you made Efraim from Helicrom and since LotI is quite popular, I am afraid that the uniqueness of my campaign's main character would be spoiled highly.
Don't worry, I am not intending to use that frankenportrait. Both orginal portraits of Efraim were hand-made by a graduated artist and no frankenpotrait with differing incident light angles and styles of body parts can compare to them.

I am considering the possibility of using the frankenportrait for Acantha for Delly, but that would force me to change her sprite, so it makes me a bit reluctant...
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

I appreciate and recognize SlyVenom's talent and contributions. As to the LotI-frankenstines:
His Stormrider looks undoubtedly better.
Delly too (maybe her head is a little bit too far back). I just wonder about the color of her clothing: tanning leather totally black was not easy in medieval times, and usually only shoes/boots were made in black leather. Indigo was a very expensive natural coloring agent... It could be darkened with soot, ferrous sulfate, ale, urine... eventually it was dark brown – perhaps a more suitable color for her outfit.
As to her current sprite: if SlyVenom painted her belly and had her proudly show it off... ;)
Krux posture looks very good, but he is still a young, innocent man... The new, hatched-faced adolescent doesn't look likely to run away when seduced by a lightly clad lady...
Now, Efraim is unique. His original portrait appears a little stiff, but face, expression and hairstyle are more appealing IMO. And he has green eyes. (Also, there is his Doppelganger, the very young, exploitable and misguided Phillip...)
Just my two cents, for what they are worth.
SlyVenom

Post by SlyVenom »

Thanks for the kind words. I don't want anyone to feel obligated to use these, I just wanted to share.
Also I do actually like Efraim's first portrait, if all the other portraits would have been done in that style for LotI, I wouldn't have even slapped together my frankensprites, but the artwork differs enough to be a major distraction to me.

Some quick and dirty replacement story photos for affably evil
imprisoned.jpg
hanging-revolt.jpg
hanging.jpg
forest-chat.jpg
capture.jpg
Last edited by SlyVenom on December 20th, 2015, 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Chewan wrote:I just wonder about the color of her clothing: tanning leather totally black was not easy in medieval times, and usually only shoes/boots were made in black leather. Indigo was a very expensive natural coloring agent...
Well (as told in Affably Evil), Delly happened to have a friend with unlimited monetary resources. It was never revealed for how long did he have contact with her. She could have also stolen that valuable heirloom from someone's home. So it could be explained.
Chewan wrote:Krux posture looks very good, but he is still a young, innocent man... The new, hatched-faced adolescent doesn't look likely to run away when seduced by a lightly clad lady...
Well, he saw a lightly clad beautiful young maiden every day. He was supposed to flee because he deduced from her highly suspicious behaviour and odd accent that something bad was going on, as in many memories his parents told him.
SlyVenom wrote:but the artwork differs enough to be a major distraction to me.
I will try to avoid sarcasm, though I am quite tempted to use it. I admit that my abilities to create portaits is no wonder, it's rather improvisation in necessity. I did try to make frankenportraits, but the differences in style, incident angles and scales were too large to cope with. Photoshopped images are easy to recognise exactly because someone's head pasted to another picture is very visible. That's why I had to draw things myself. Using Blender made the pictures better, but more different, I picked it because it saved time. You managed to do frankenstein it pretty good at times. In most cases the differences are very visible, though. So instead of pictures differing from other pictures, you have style and illumination differences on a single picture.
SlyVenom

Post by SlyVenom »

Lethalia (this one was a challenge) and Lilith (Re-uploaded as somehow I missed the double wings...)
Lethalia & Lilith
Lethalia.png
Lethalia.png (275.88 KiB) Viewed 8712 times
Lilith.png
Lilith.png (297.24 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
I edited the abomination some more, and I think it can pass as not a 3d render perhaps
Abomination
abomination.png
abomination.png (184.62 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
Last edited by SlyVenom on December 22nd, 2015, 5:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
SlyVenom

Post by SlyVenom »

Not a Franken, more like a recolor to add a Snow Hunter for Legends of the Invincibles.
Snow Hunter
snowhunter.png
snowhunter.png (103.92 KiB) Viewed 8296 times
Here is my take on the assassin from Swamplings (for my own amusement).
Goblin Assassin
assassin.png
assassin.png (186.43 KiB) Viewed 8569 times
Here is my Take on the Dwarf Guard from the Ooze Mini-Campaign
Dwarf Guard
olddwarf-guard.png
olddwarf-guard.png (230.97 KiB) Viewed 8471 times
Last edited by SlyVenom on December 19th, 2015, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyVenom

Post by SlyVenom »

Quick question, would it be helpful/wanted if I showcased the original portraits alongside the frankenportraits?
The rest of the quick and dirty story images for Affably Evil
rafting.jpg
party.jpg
krux-fowleri-kiss-later.jpg
krux-fowleri-kiss.jpg
imprisoned-rescue.jpg
Last edited by SlyVenom on December 20th, 2015, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

original portraits: Maybe just the titles of the sources – in recognition of the original artists?

I never noticed that the BfW-fencer is not wearing breeches but some kind of tunic...
Still, your Efraims are not dual wielding (a particular style of swordsmanship, not of notable advantage), and personally, I like his original face and the braids of young Efraim better, the more doubtful look on his face later in life would be surely justified, though. The distinctive veins on the back of his hand indicate his revitalization, but the coloring differs from the healthy complexion.

IMO, you have done a good job on Lethalia, she matches my idea of her, at least at a later point of her undead life...
At any rate, it shows some of the very extensive equipment (one wonders how her thin and small wings support the weight... OK, magic).

Lilith looks good. Dear me, she really focused on her biceps...

Swampling Clammy
:D … but those big goblin ears (covered with mosquito bites) in view would blow his cover!

olddwarf-guard – I don't know the original portrait, but with such a gleaming bald pate I'd wear a helmet.

Let there be no misunderstanding:
Evidently, this is no expert opinion. Unskilled in creating attractive graphics myself, I'm just interested in your work. Thanks!
SlyVenom

Post by SlyVenom »

Redid Efraim again, I re-added the original Efraim face/head for both Efraims, and I am much happier with the results.
I also gave him dual-swords
Efraim & Undead Efraim
Efraim.png
Efraim.png (206.64 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
Efraim-later.png
Efraim-later.png (241.53 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
Here is my take on Marilyn from Affably Evil...
Marilyn
Marilyn.png
Marilyn.png (178.09 KiB) Viewed 8050 times