Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Feedback for the mainline campaign Descent into Darkness.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

czarkoff

Re: Scenario Review: DiD 3 - A Haunting in Winter

Post by czarkoff »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.12.2.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I absolutely loved that rogue shadow. I'd probably add some dialogues between enemy leaders and player's approaching army. On "easy" Darken Volk could actually mention the weaknesses of opposing forces or even give some advice.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None, although I guess the rogue shadow would cause some problems if it was to rebel in worse circumstances.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7, and probably 2 without rogue shadow.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I'd give dwarfs substantially more gold, so that I'd actually have to recruit and fight after killing outlaws.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.
Attachments
03.gz
(28.43 KiB) Downloaded 685 times
shadow12

Post by shadow12 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Med. Wesnoth 1.10.5, iOS 1.0.4 ver
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 8
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? A little vague. It said to clear the cave of the enemy, so I literally killed them all. It should say kill both enemy leaders.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? very interesting story!
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? killing Trolls. They are strong. It took 3-4 ghosts per troll. Recruited 5 ghosts, one rebelled, one got killed by a dwarf, two leveled up to wraiths.
Bats were not very beneficial in this one. 2 Ghouls took care of the bandits, 3 ghosts took care of the trolls.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 9. The ghost rebell was a fun twist. Right next to my 2 necromancers, of all places! I love having ghosts on my side!!! They are so fast and wraiths become invisible at night.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? none, good as is!
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? no
Sometimes life unexpectedly throws a Troll or a nasty Queen Naga in your path.
Entengelaende

Post by Entengelaende »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? Hard, 1.12.6
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 6
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Okay
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? Taking out the dwarf leader
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 8
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? None
(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario? No
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Challenging, Version 1.12.6

3, the sentinel in the beginning is somewhat of a toughie and the first wave of bandits takes a bit of thinking, after that, it's a piece of cake since the dwarves just charge into the swamp one by one.

Pretty clear, although you might want to specify that the objective is to kill the leaders, not necessarily all enemies.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Very interesting and well-written. I was confused at the beginning, since the wording of the text before the scenario starts, about the two necromancers travelling, lead me to believe it would be a scenario about the two of them... well, travelling, in autumn. But no biggie, just some confusion.

The part about the Ghost's rebellion was pretty interesting as well.

Overcoming the first few enemies with just level one units in an area with limited mobility for my mages.

9. Slaughtering dwarves trying to cross a swamp has been one of the most rewarding and fun experiences I have ever had in Wesnoth.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Nothing really comes to mind, except maybe teach the dwarf to send his troops in pairs or something like that.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

I once lost Darken because I exposed him too much, nothing else.
Attachments
DiD-A_Haunting_in_Winter_replay.gz
(36.8 KiB) Downloaded 678 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Challenging, Version 1.14.1

4, dealing with the Bandits is the though part. Afterwards there are just straggler dwarfs. (Also keeping the ghosts close until one of them rebelled.)

Clear.

I enjoyed it.

Defeating the bandits with my mages being my only good damage dealers and tanks.

9. That swamp was very bad news for the dwarves. xD

Add a sleeping dwarf to some (maybe random?) village who wakes up when you take it.

Dead Mage while tanking.
Attachments
DiD-A Haunting in Winter replay.gz
(25.86 KiB) Downloaded 578 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Normal

- Clear

- Good. I like it how it shows that a real necromancer would be in control of his ghostly units, indicating they aren't that immediately obedient. Though I wonder why dwarves and bandits are allied?

- Getting across the swamp with non-flying units

- I think that there should be more than one rebellious ghost

- None
ElvishMystical0

Post by ElvishMystical0 »

Content Feedback wrote: March 11th, 2008, 8:23 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Versions 1.10, 1.12 and 1.14 medium and hard.
This depends. To get through the scenario and meet the objectives it's a 3. But to get a number of Wraiths and Shadows for the next scenario it's a 6.
They were clear enough.
It was okay.
Levelling up Ghosts. The Outlaws are tougher opponents than Dwarves when it comes to Ghosts.
I'd give it a 6 because you have to figure out positioning and sharing out your XP. The rebel ghost was a nice touch as well.
I can't think of anything.
No.
Mawmoocn

Post by Mawmoocn »

1.12.6, Hard, Bat and loyal units only gameplay

Not sure, I killed all enemy units before I killed their leaders. If the goal is to kill all enemy units or to kill enemy leaders to finish the scenario, I can’t say for certain.

I didn’t use ghosts so maybe my teacher got mad? Great! he’ll corrupt Malin anyway...

Keeping bats alive.

Make his teacher mad if I didn’t follow instructions?

Trying to kill both leaders using his teacher. I nearly run out of turns. I restarted when I lacked turns.
Keeping bat casualties to a minimum, range opponents has high chance to kill bats.
Mawmoocn

Post by Mawmoocn »

1.14.8 (1.14.7), Hard, Bats and loyal units

Unlimited turns, no comment.

Clear

No comment

Soloing with Malin and Troll hero killing Malin.

My opinions are biased, read with caution.
Spoiler:

No comment

Troll hero killing Malin.

Scorpions killing his teacher!
Spoiler:

DiD-A Haunting in Winter replay.gz
(20.84 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.6, Summoner (Challenging)

6, because Mud Crawlers pack quite a punch.

Clear enough, although of course not that clear. :D It's a puzzle scenario after all.

Interesting. ^^

Clearing out the Mud Crawlers and then dealing with the horde of wolves.

-

Scenario stats:
Spoiler:
Attachments
DiD-A Haunting in Winter replay 20201114-203507.gz
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Dyrcona

Post by Dyrcona »

Wesnoth 1.16.1 Normal diffitulty

10. I think it is bugged on this release.

I can't recruit ghosts. I'm on turn 61 and I can't find anyway out of the dungeion. I've not seen any dwarves, thugs or whatever, just rats, mudcrawlers, ogres, and a scorpion.

They seemed clear, but this scenario is impossible.

Who cares if you can't play it?

See #2.

I have no idea.

Fix it on 1.16.

Well, I cant seem to progress on the campaign because of #2, so there you go.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Dyrcona wrote: January 5th, 2022, 2:19 pm (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Wesnoth 1.16.1 Normal diffitulty

10. I think it is bugged on this release.

I can't recruit ghosts. I'm on turn 61 and I can't find anyway out of the dungeion. I've not seen any dwarves, thugs or whatever, just rats, mudcrawlers, ogres, and a scorpion.

They seemed clear, but this scenario is impossible.

Who cares if you can't play it?

See #2.

I have no idea.

Fix it on 1.16.

Well, I cant seem to progress on the campaign because of #2, so there you go.
It is not bugged. The ghost phase has been reworked to trigger in a moveto event. You move to the edge of the deep water and start the ghost part. You have to defeat the ghost and when you do, you gain a loyal special ghost and complete the scenario.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Dyrcona

Post by Dyrcona »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: January 5th, 2022, 3:17 pm It is not bugged. The ghost phase has been reworked to trigger in a moveto event. You move to the edge of the deep water and start the ghost part. You have to defeat the ghost and when you do, you gain a loyal special ghost and complete the scenario.
Yes, thanks for the reply. I just figured it out and came back here to reply to myself. I feel kind of dumb 'cause it should have been obvious. Oh well, I got a Necrophage, Revenant, and Deathblade in addition to the Ghost out of it. :lol:
revolting_peasant

Post by revolting_peasant »

The scenario name should be changed. The "winter" part is barely a factor, except for a couple of hexes; and while there is a ghost at the end, it is not haunting anywhere/anyone.

I like the "reflection pool" scene.

There are things I didn't get, such as what to do with the remains of the merman and the scorpion - if anything _can_ be done with them; and whether the rats can be controlled.

Finally, it's problematic that one can farm the rats to give Ghouls/Ghasts more and more HP.
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

1.16.6 Summoner (Challenging)
7. Those mudcrawlers are no joke!
Pretty vague, but I see that this is intended as a more RPG-ish exploration scenario, so that makes sense.
The scene with the ghost is great, some heavy foreshadowing and character development for Malin.
I was disappointed with the dialogue around the ogres. In the last scenario, the dialogue around the goblins emphasized the moral ambiguity of killing them and encouraged the player to sympathize with them by showing their fear and helplessness. Here, the ogres are portrayed as totally mindless and pointlessly violent, there is no cause for sympathy and no moral conflict. I think it would fit more with the tone of the campaign if they were also portrayed in a more sympathetic light and Malin had to again struggle with some kind of moral dilemma before or after killing them. The easiest way to do that would be to emphasize their age. lvl 1 ogres are called 'young ogres', but the lore doesn't specify exactly how young. You could add some dialogue where Darken reveals to Malin (perhaps after he's already killed them) that these are basically ogre toddlers squabbling in their nursery, they are just physically already adult human-sized. Then the lvl 2 ogre could be portrayed as their mother who is still very unintelligent (as an ogre), but smart enough to be horrified to see her own children's bones attacking her.
Mudcrawlers! They wrecked my skeletons HARD, and I had to really micromanage my units to kill them without massive casualties.
8. I like the occasional unusual scenario like this with a small number of units and a 'puzzle' quality. Figuring out the mudcrawlers was very challenging. I would have preferred a FEW more hints to the puzzles, though, as I ended up spending a LOT of time just aimlessly wandering over every single hex trying to trigger SOMETHING.
In particular, for the mudcrawler spawn puzzle, you have to get the trident, then set the trees on fire, THEN use the fire to turn off the spawn point. In rewatching the replay, I see that there is a brief hint about mudcrawlers being weak to fire, so that makes sense. The trident stands out. But I had to stumble on the trees by pure chance, after dozens of turns of wandering around aimlessly. A forest also doesn't make much biological sense in a cave with no sunlight anyway. I think it would be better to maybe replace them with a wose whose corpse would leave behind a 'wood pile', much like the scorpion leaves behind poison. That's another tough impact-using enemy to threaten your skeletons, though, so really any version of a woodpile, abandoned building, or other flammable substance, would work. You might also make the forest hex one of those spots where daylight shines into the cave, which would both explain why trees are able to grow in only that particular spot and visually highlight it for the player.
Also the changes to ogre-related dialogue mentioned above.
Also perhaps some kind of visual cue or piece of dialogue to encourage you to have Malin step into the water, as opposed to triggering it like I did by just having him walk over every single hex of the map waiting for something to happen.
Getting all my skeletons killed by mudcrawlers!
Attachments
DiD-A Haunting in Winter replay 20230109-010520.gz
(29.55 KiB) Downloaded 62 times