Servers?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Greyr

Servers?

Post by Greyr »

Hey all, sad to see development has indefinitely halted...

But happy to see the servers are still being hosted! I have no idea how any of that stuff works, honestly, so I was wondering if they will continue to stay up and running or is the final nail in the coffin going to happen?
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Servers?

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not sure where you heard that, but development hasn't stopped. In fact there a new stable version coming in a couple days.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It's the announcement on the front page. I makes it look like everything is in panic "everything is about to immediately collapse" mode.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Greyr

Post by Greyr »

The home page literally says 'this ship is sinking', that's some pretty dramatic (and maybe misleading?) verbiage. In any case, it's good to hear that there is SOME progress being made, however small.

Also, I was online today and saw more players than I ever have. That's a good thing, maybe not directly productive, but good.
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It looks to me like the announcement worked, and things are better now. The developers' mailing list is very active anyway. A lot of new features and old bugs are being worked on.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Maybe it is time for a follow-up announcement?
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Velensk wrote:It's the announcement on the front page. I makes it look like everything is in panic "everything is about to immediately collapse" mode.
Indeed, it unfortunately paints an overly-pessimistic picture :(
Benignity

Post by Benignity »

Well, there is the fact that there are only six guys working on a new version. So even though it's a bit overstated, progress is a bit labile. And all those features are made by so few guys that I'm worried about them becoming overworked. I really hope their call for help was answered.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

beetlenaut wrote:It looks to me like the announcement worked, and things are better now. The developers' mailing list is very active anyway. A lot of new features and old bugs are being worked on.
The developers mailing list is very not active, actually, but it has never been a reliable measurement of raw development activity anyway; for that you should look at IRC instead.

For most intents and purposes, the announcement remains a correct representation of the current state as of this writing.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.