Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Genesis

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi,

There is a problem:
Attachments
genesis-shot.jpg
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

The issue has been fixed. You should be able to download it now.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

So I've recently downloaded this campaign to play a new one for a change, and so far I am really enjoying it; playing with faeries turned out to be quite cool (never thought that dryads could be so deadly, in IftU/AtS they always felt quite frail, though in those campaigns I had to fight those nasty shaxthal), and the scenarios are well balanced overall.
The custom graphics are an eyecandy, and the White City in particular was impressive. Also, the fact that we could wander about entering optional scenarios was really interesting.
Story-wise, I liked to meet the age when the Guardians ruled at large - and, specially, to meet the Guardians themselves. The only thing puzzling me a little is the inhabitants we've seen until 'Impetus'; I might be missing something from the IftU/AtS lore, but who are those humans, and most importantly, where is the civilization that built the shaxthal? Did they come before or after the time period of Genesis?
Now, above all else, I'm really enjoying the three main heroines (+1 for the all-female main cast, that's not something we see often), specially Yumi (she's such a kuudere :P )and Aryel (yeah, I know she doesn't like humans, but she's badass and funny at times). Also, their dynamic is quite interesting, imo: there's Yumi with her childish, shy and often cute demeanor; Aryel, the hothead with a big heart; and Esther, who is pretty much the 'big sis' of the trio. Compared to the usual main Wesnoth cast of 'old wise mage', 'loyal honourable knight', 'brave noble hero', 'stalwart loyal defender', 'irresponsible (dark) mage' etc, that's really original.
Also, for some reason the way that the three of them interact, together with how expressive they are (as when you describe their reactions and gestures in the space that's usually reserved for dialogue), makes me imagine them in anime... I don't know if that was intentional, but I liked it; I can even picture them doing typical anime faces :P

That all said, I have a few criticisms too:
- The eternally spamming, random units (as seen in various scenarios). That seems to have been inspired by IftU/AtS; and just like in those campaigns, I hated that. It's really annoying when you finally get rid of the last demon in sight, only to see another 5 popping all over the place, sometimes near badly wounded units. In 'The Crypt' that was specially annoying; personally I'd have preferred to fight one or two enemy leaders who keep recruiting a couple of demons at every turn, but who can be gotten rid of for good.
- I know I'm the last one to be criticizing you for this (you see, I've made some pretty unnecessarily nasty scenarios myself in my campaigns :oops: ) but the use of the FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT macro in 'Impetus' is sadistic. The objective specifically says that we should kill the enemy leaders, but before the arrival of the demons, out of 10 attacks on a single enemy general, none landed - and to make matters worse, the generals could and did attack me :augh: I guessed that you had used that macro, so I simply removed my units to a safe place (I nearly lost two Eventide Dancers to those generals, mind you) and waited until an event was triggered; but players who know less of coding might be really frustrated by that. Then the demons came, and what was just sadistic became a true violation of human rights: basically, we were faced with a powerful berserker leader who could hardly be hit. Luckily, FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT is no match for the power of debug, so I just shift+k'ed all of the enemy demons. Had I not done that, I would have lost many a lvl 3 unit trying to do just what you told me to: kill the enemy leader.

Well, sorry for the lengthy feedback (I write essays almost every week at university, must be becoming automatic for me :P ). Overall, I'm really enjoying your campaign, and will be waiting for the following scenarios; luckily my vacations are close now :D
PS.: I don't mean to tell you what you should do, but please, just don't give us a final boss like Zhangor, not unless we have an army with us :lol:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

revansurik:

Out of curiosity, what difficulty setting did you play on? After a ton of playtesting, it was suggested to me that both the easy and normal difficulties were pretty reasonable and not too hard to deal with. Hard is pretty crazy, though...

Also, I'm going to fix up Impetus so that that macro doesn't have to get used.

Aaaaanddd...
Spoiler:
matsjoyce:

Fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

nemaara wrote:revansurik:

Out of curiosity, what difficulty setting did you play on? After a ton of playtesting, it was suggested to me that both the easy and normal difficulties were pretty reasonable and not too hard to deal with. Hard is pretty crazy, though...
I was playing on Normal, but it's not that it was hard; rather, fighting those constantly spamming enemy units was just a pain :-)
Also, I'm going to fix up Impetus so that that macro doesn't have to get used.
^_^
Aaaaanddd...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Version 0.0.7 is released.

This release a new scenario and a few minor bugfixes (no fixes on Impetus yet, sorry). Note that this version hasn't been playtested by anyone besides me, so it may contain a few more bugs than the other releases. The difficulty is also not completely tweaked yet so please let me know if you think this scenario is too easy/too hard.
Last edited by nemaara on November 22nd, 2015, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

I played the latest scenario (there was only one, frozen-skies albeit with two objectives). It worked fine. I didn't come across any bugs.
Last edited by sreesreearul on May 19th, 2016, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

sreesreearul wrote:I played the latest scenario (there was only one, frozen-skies albeit with two objectives). It was worked fine. I didn't come across any bugs.
Um, what? There should have been three scenarios and not just one. As far as I can tell, the code doesn't indicate anything that would let you skip straight to Frozen Skies from Impetus. Could you post saves of your "Impetus" and "Frozen Skies" scenarios?
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

nemaara wrote:
Um, what? There should have been three scenarios and not just one. As far as I can tell, the code doesn't indicate anything that would let you skip straight to Frozen Skies from Impetus. Could you post saves of your "Impetus" and "Frozen Skies" scenarios?
The release dated October 5th or 6th had Blackout and Incubus. I did play them then. Do have the saves. So naturally started with Frozen Skies I suppose.

Sorry for the confusion.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Oh, okay. Sorry, school's been driving me nuts so I might not have kept track of things well.
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

version 0.0.8 release.

No new content, but an important bug related to Yumi's and Esther's abilities came to my attention. This should now be fixed in this version. Please upgrade asap.
secrety

Post by secrety »

Would you please help me solving the puzzle in the crypt? :roll:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Was the "important" bug the one that allowed Yumi to get tremendous amounts of XP? If so, then no. I am not upgrading. I got Yumi to a goddess-like status.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

secrety:
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare: I have no idea what I'm doing wrong... I'll try to fix it once more. If you know of a way that I can completely reset a unit's maximum experience, that would be helpful. Otherwise for the time being, I guess you might have to use debug.
dracostar

Post by dracostar »

I'm struggling on the first puzzle still, I was thinking of something like
Spoiler: