The Third Wesnoth Challenge: Mountain Lake

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

The Third Wesnoth Challenge: Mountain Lake

Post by Dave »

I bring you the third Wesnoth Challenge, with thanks to jzaun for providing the scenario.

---

This scenario takes place 84 years before the birth of Konrad.

The lake atop mount Eregonor was known for its beauty and tranquility. The lone mountain was nestled among the forests of the North-Elves, and many Elves lived in the mountains. The peace was disturbed only occasionally, by rumors of an evil creature that lived in the lake.

But one day, an Orcish Warlord made a determined attack against the mountain. Capturing it, he ravaged and pillaged the villages of the mountain.

The Elves responded by sending two emerging Elvish Heroes: Kalenz and Glatrid, to wrest control of the mountain from the Orcs, and restore it to the peace it once enjoyed.

---

This challenge must be played using version 0.6.99.x. It'll be a good opportunity for some testing.

It is expected to be of medium difficulty.

There will be no ranking of games this time round, just try to win, and then compare tactics with others!

http://www.wesnoth.org/files/challenge3.cfg

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

Hi!

I have just played this challenge. It took 16minutes gaming time.(in Turbo mode)
Im ashamed of I have lost 2 units(elvish fighter and shaman).

I have used my tactics with I have played since the version 0.4.
So for healing I have many shamans(1/3 of my units), and for fight I have Fighters with a smack of Archers.

Here is the replay:
http://195.70.46.92/egyeb/3verseny.wsn

(For the extension is .wsn, as WeSNoth ;))

Cheers,
Khiraly
telly

Post by telly »

I don't think healers and archers are cost effective for small maps like this. Better just to buy piles of fighters. I brought archers though hehe.
Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

telly wrote:I don't think healers and archers are cost effective for small maps like this.
Who know that this is a small maps?
When I have started the map I didnt know that this is a small plan with one enemie ....

I have forgotten to write that I have finished with 75 GOLD in 22th turn.
Feldegast

Post by Feldegast »

I don't understand why someone would recruit only six units, don't spend all gold, and then move all eight units including Kalenz into unexplored territory without knowing what could be waiting there. How did you know there are only few villages?

-----

It was clear that the map is small if you watch the upper right of the game's display.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Easy, really. Finished in 15 minutes. I can't believe how many leveled units I had at the end. 2 heroes and a marksman. I guess that the enemy lvl 2 units and my terrain usage helped.

Did the Wishing Well ever do anything??? Oh, and "threwout" should be "throughout"- I thought that that had been fixed.
Jaramir

Post by Jaramir »

Finished! :D

it wasn't that hard.. but (as usual) i've got no unit to level up.. i think it's the way i play that dosen't takes units to XPing..
Halfling Power!!
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

made it in 15 turns, I'm a waster, don't care if level 1 units die or if I'm low on cash

A bit easy for being medium.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I died the first time I played because I overextended myself and started losing on my north and west fronts. I had brought out kalenz for added firepower since there aren't enough towns to really let you buy any units for the few several turns or so. My mistake was taking too long to get him back to the base, I discovered that while he took 5 turns to cross the mountains, the orc units could cross them much easier and he got massacred.

Playing it a second time, I did much better. I am proud of getting a variety of level 2 units including a elvish hero, captain and outrider. My one dumb move was losing a elvish shaman needlessly. Starting with a level 3 hero was interesting; having one super strong unit taught you how to protect your other weaker units and essentially fight a one man battle. I found this tank to be very useful, mostly to soak attacks and weaken enemies so my level 1 units could finish them off. It made the level a lot more interesting. thanks!

I'm attaching my second replay in case anyone is interested. Though small, this was a fun map (I especially like the hidden villages). Thanks Dave!
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

hidden villages? hmm, guess I didn't explore the map close enough.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

quartex wrote:Thanks Dave!
Glad you enjoyed the game! Do remember though, it was jzaun who designed the map and scenario concept. He is certainly a better map designer than me -- I'm generally better off just using random maps than drawying my own! ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming