how lively this community is?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Violet-n-red

how lively this community is?

Post by Violet-n-red »

how many regular visitor are here on the forums?
are people on IRC channel link to which i've seen omewhere here respond often or do they just happen to have Wesnoth tab open for times when they have absolutely nothing else to do (like in many other channels on some servers)?
what are the usual places here to hang out and dicuss, say, mainline campaign missions (campaign feedback looks like a place requiring relatively formal and well structurized respones)?
does everybody simply talk in game on official server and don't bother with anything else?
how strict moderation here is? i've used to forums where temporary or permanent bans are delivered only in cases of abuse and threatening.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: how lively this community is?

Post by Iris »

Hi, and welcome to the forums!
Violet-n-red wrote:how many regular visitor are here on the forums?
I don’t handle numbers for this, but I’d say it’s somewhere around two dozens or so nowadays. We’ve seen better times.
Violet-n-red wrote:are people on IRC channel link to which i've seen omewhere here respond often or do they just happen to have Wesnoth tab open for times when they have absolutely nothing else to do (like in many other channels on some servers)?
It varies. I generally try to answer any questions I can in both #wesnoth and #wesnoth-dev, and so do most other devs who are around at any given time. Most talk nowadays takes place in #wesnoth-dev since no-one ever bothers to start a conversation in the users channel.
Violet-n-red wrote:what are the usual places here to hang out and dicuss, say, mainline campaign missions (campaign feedback looks like a place requiring relatively formal and well structurized respones)?
If you don’t like the Feedback forums’ style, we have threads for all mainline campaigns in the Mainline subforum of the Scenario & Campaign Development section.
Violet-n-red wrote:how strict moderation here is? i've used to forums where temporary or permanent bans are delivered only in cases of abuse and threatening.
We don’t dispense bans in the forums without a good reason, so our current ban rate is somewhere between 0 and 1 bans/year — not counting automated spam bots, that is. Truly permanent bans are also exceedingly rare. So you need not worry about this kind of thing as long as you read the Posting Guidelines.
Violet-n-red wrote:does everybody simply talk in game on official server and don't bother with anything else?
The MP servers’ code of conduct discourages excessive talk in the main lobby, probably because things would get a bit messy if everybody talked different languages at the same time. I believe most conversation in the servers takes place via whispers or in-game for that reason. I can’t say for sure since I’m not part of the MP crowd, though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Violet-n-red

Post by Violet-n-red »

thanks for the replies!
shadowm wrote:If you don’t like the Feedback forums’ style, we have threads for all mainline campaigns in the Mainline subforum of the Scenario & Campaign Development section.
i don't dilike it, it just looks like a place to collect organized feedback, rather than caually dicuss how, say, a bunch of combatans managed to stand agains imposible odds and emerge victorious in some scenarios.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I have wesnoth IRC open mainly to ask and answer questions, usually related to WML.

About discussing campaigns I cant really suggest anything, for multiplayer communication part is easier. (Observers chat most often for me). In forums I did discover that I learned nothing from responses to my addons mainline-like feedback forms, so I encourage free format discussion now. Admittedly as all my content is intended for multiplayer, I get most feedback by observing games and chatting with players, not from forums.

The aim of moderation is to support friendly working atmosphere here, not to punish users. Bans happen only when there truly is no other way.

In game chat is quite common in multiplayer, but I dont really know what campaign players do.

Also, Moved from Website to Users' Forum.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

shadowm wrote:I don’t handle numbers for this, but I’d say it’s somewhere around two dozens or so nowadays. We’ve seen better times.
It doesn't take that many new contributors to breath liveliness into the community. Just sayin', in case there are any slightly demoralized lurkers reading these posts...
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

shadowm wrote:
Violet-n-red wrote:how many regular visitor are here on the forums?
I don’t handle numbers for this, but I’d say it’s somewhere around two dozens or so nowadays. We’ve seen better times.
I can name 10 or so open source games out of the top of my head that have a less active community. Wesnoth is by far the largest one I know, in all of the categories code complexity and size (with wml/lua), addon number and variety, player community and number of (only active or doesn't matter) developers.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Anonymissimus wrote: I can name 10 or so open source games out of the top of my head that have a less active community. Wesnoth is by far the largest one I know, in all of the categories code complexity and size (with wml/lua), addon number and variety, player community and number of (only active or doesn't matter) developers.
Yes, I don't know a single open-source game that has a larger community either.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Anonymissimus wrote:number of (only active or doesn't matter) developers.
Aren't there only a couple active c++ developers at the moment though?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code