[mainline/UMC] Manual advancing and different AMLA system

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Spirit_of_Currents

[mainline/UMC] Manual advancing and different AMLA system

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

There are two problems: 1. If you have a unit very close to advancing, the AI usually ignores it. RIPLIB. 2. Max-level units are too useless.

Here is the solution: Disable auto-advancing and let the player advance a unit with enough XP whenever (s)he wants during his/her turn. Change the default AMLA to give just full healing and not extra HP and make the next AMLAs require as much XP as the first one.

Edit: Perhaps the player should only be able to advance units when (s)he's not yet moved or attacked with any unit (or those units (s)he wants to advance) during that turn. Perhaps a unit would be too powerful if it could advance just after suffering a strong counterattack.
Last edited by Spirit_of_Currents on April 18th, 2015, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are very much electrochemical currents in my brain.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: [mainline/UMC] Manual advancing and different AMLA syste

Post by Ravana »

Main reason to get amla in the first place if for heal. 3hp from leveling is negligible, unless current max xp is less than 6.

So against removing xp increase.
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote:There are two problems: 1. If you have a unit very close to advancing, the AI usually ignores it. RIPLIB. 2. Max-level units are too useless.

Here is the solution: Disable auto-advancing and let the player advance a unit with enough XP whenever (s)he wants during his/her turn. Change the default AMLA to give just full healing and not extra HP and make the next AMLAs require as much XP as the first one.
The AI mostly but not completely ignores units close to advancing. This is of course because in the short term, you have to waste one or two attacks because after that the defending unit advances and heals. And the AI does not plan in the long term so this situation often persists across many terms, and makes for invincible defenders. There are a few cases where the AI can get three attacks in one turn, and tries to at least severely weaken the newly advanced unit.

I think this should be fixed in the long run by improving the AI. It is not a problem of the game mechanics.

Custom AMLAs create overpowered units. You should level up other units instead. ;-)
I think custom AMLAs are good for special heroes in campaigns but should not be used too much, and should not be commonplace.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

1. the AI is... [censored] to simply put.
2. Agree.

Code: Select all

For MP If amla was configured to differ on amla'ing unit's level, it could have been a lot better:
Level   L1/L2/L3/L4
HP    +  2   4    6   8
dam* + 0   1    1   2
*all attacks
XP increase per level
Level   L1/L2/L3/L4
 in%     10  15 20 25  of the value 
Free healing: Full-Hp on Level 1 and 2, Half-Hp on 3 and 4.
also tweak the length of exp bars to
L1: down to 45 from 50
L2: down to 65 from 75
L3: down to 135 from 150
L4: down to 230 from 250 
If thats not enough tweaking then check certain traits that give boni per level can be got to function with every levelup instead only when actually leveling (i didnt check if this is so but...)
As for singleplayer, who cares do whatever you like.
Implementor37

Post by Implementor37 »

Eagle_11 that idea is implemented quite nicely in Lord Knightmare's The Legend Begins (not sure if its a War of Legends or a TLB thing though...). The Ethereal Orbs gain +1 damage per AMLA--so even though they are a max-level of 1, they are quite useful over time. Honestly, I like the idea, but i think it is better as a specific unit ability (such as dmg_amla) which enables this AMLA for certain units. Here's another thought: what if the intelligent trait was used to give access to this AMLA (intelligent units would be continued learners). That would make intelligent units much more valuable in campaigns (currently i avoid giving them xp), and could be balanced with a partial (say 3/4 or something) heal instead of a full heal. I'd have to check, but this would probably be a good idea for a [modification]--especially since (if i understood the 1.13 announcement correctly) single-player campaigns in upcoming versions will be able to use [modification]s and alternate [era]s.
Author of End of the Legion, available now on the 1.12 and 1.13 servers!
Supporter of the addition of the Aragwaithi into mainline.