Image Create add-on tool

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

enclave

Image Create add-on tool

Post by enclave »

Today I will upload new add-on called "Image Create".

This is helpful if you are creating your own image, from a mix of other images.. Or just want to modify the color of original mainline images or play with functions described here: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ImagePathFunctionWML.
I would recommend it if you are making your own era, map-pack or whatever else and you want to make new special units but so that other players would not require add-on to play it. You may change colors of units, rotate them, apply other images on top of the image.. making layers of images.. and so may create new specific units or anything else, with just using mainline core/campaign images.

Use it to modify and create your images, test them real-time. Just select "Image Create" as an era when you host Local Game.
Read http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ImagePathFunctionWML for list of available commands.

If you ever tried "Image loading tester" add-on, "Image Create" 1st version is based on it, the difference is that you don't have 1 very long line, but many shorter lines, where you can copy/paste/modify image code a lot easier.

The next version will be a lot more user-friendly if I don't abandon the project half-way.

Please post your ideas, comments, suggestions, feedback, requests, bugs.. anything here! Enjoy!
Dugi

Re: Image Create add-on tool

Post by Dugi »

In what does it differ from the 'Image Loading Tester' add-on that is already on the 1.12 server?
enclave

Post by enclave »

At the moment not much, download it and try (1.12).

The main difference is that you don't have 1 line like this: terrain/water/coast-tile.png~BLIT(units/human-peasants/peasant.png~CS(-50,-50,-50)~CROP(16,0,32,62),18,5)~FL(horiz)~BLIT(projectiles/hatchet-2.png~CROP(20,20,30,30),35,5)~BLIT(projectiles/hatchet-2.png~CROP(20,20,30,30)~ROTATE(270),15,0)~BLIT(projectiles/hatchet-2.png~CROP(20,20,30,30)~ROTATE(180),2,15)~BLIT(projectiles/hatchet-2.png~CROP(20,20,30,30)~ROTATE(90),12,35)"

but up to around 12 lines.. which makes it easier to read, copy/paste things and modify them and actually find them and actually see what the code is.. Like:
Spoiler:
I didn't modify your code much, it is all based on your work.
The next version will be from scratch and will completely differ. The main difference I hope to make is to make it a lot more user friendly than it is now.. Things like CROP could take a lot less time.. Your idea of making such thing as add-on is trully great!
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

It's maybe worth it to mention that in wesnoth 1.13, you can ask the game to make a .png file for your image path generated image. So that if you want to use an image you made this way on a website, or in some other project, you can do it. 8)
enclave

Post by enclave »

and it will not require add-on then?
When is 1.13 becoming stable?
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

It won't require an add-on but it will require you to use the command-line. You can see the release announcement about "--render-image" option.

Sorry, I'm not planning to make a GUI interface for it but maybe someone else will.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Thx iceiceice, you always very helpful ;)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The next version will be from scratch and will completely differ. The main difference I hope to make is to make it a lot more user friendly than it is now..
Got it. I was wondering if you were reinventing the wheel, but it seems that you're upgrading upon it. If you want, I can upload it as a new version of Image Loading Tester with you as first author.
enclave

Post by enclave »

Dugi wrote: If you want, I can upload it as a new version of Image Loading Tester with you as first author.
If you really find that multiple lines were an upgrade from your version and that my version 1.0.2 is more convenient and less confusing than yours, then I don't mind at all. Feel free to do it.

However in my personal opinion there is no need to do it yet, until I finish the project.
At the moment both add-ons can be found by searching "image loading tester" which will give options to users who are looking for such tools.. They can try them both, I think my current version in a way may be more confusing in comparison to your 1 line version..

Keeping them separate will give me more flexibility with uploading upgrades as soon as anything new is done.

Maybe when I finish project I could add right-click option for your 1 line version "Create Image (Dugi, shadowm 1 Line Version)" and then if you like you could upload it with your Image Loading Tester name, since it is that name is mentioned everywhere in help files for WML of wesnoth.

The current state of my version is far from perfection yet. But I have a massive plan for what it may become in future and I'm working on it.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I just think that having two add-ons that do the same thing is just confusing. Let's see how will it be when you're done.
enclave

Post by enclave »

it should be fully ready in a week.. i hope so.

It would still be easier if I was able to modify it as soon as I make any updates to my version.. I don't see how it is possible to do if I don't have your password.

i plan to add animation testing/creating at some point.. of course this will take longer..

knowing myself, my ideas will never run out.. so i will stop updating it only when I put wesnoth on the shelf (have my usual break from wesnoth)..

Except for updates I find it better to be separate version because yours is "stable" and mine may have bugs in every update..

PS. Dugi, have you found the answer to why can not use callbacks for sliders? I'm very interested to know this one.. very interested..