wesnoth-tiles: gpl html5 module.

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kutaka

wesnoth-tiles: gpl html5 module.

Post by kutaka »

Hello!

I'm developing a html5 module for displaying wesnoth map graphics. It is called wesnoth-tiles. It is available on github, with GPL license.

https://github.com/kichooo/wesnoth-tiles

It is still under development, although most of the core terrains area already in. Currently it is not yet really usable, because of long calculating time for bigger maps, but resolving that is the goal of incoming work iterations. I'm very serious with that module, as I plan to use it myself once it's done.

For lazy, here's a screenshot. If somebody is interested in using that, just let me know!

edit: repositioned image.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: wesnoth-tiles: gpl html5 module.

Post by ancestral »

Interesting.

This may be a better implementation — with transitions! — than my Wesnoth-Canvas project. I’m very excited to try this out.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Hey, this looks really good :)

So let me mention an idea to you that I think I mentioned to ancestral once maybe a year ago in regards to wesnoth-canvas:

Sometimes if you want to study a map or maintain a map through several versions, it's helpful to be able to take a "diff" of two different versions of a map. But if you just use the diff program it's not particularly easy to read. If we had like a "visual diff" tool which will take two (presumably similar) maps and somehow highlight the changed hexes I think that would be potentially extremely useful.

Mega bonus points if you can just point it to the url of a map file in a github repo and have it automatically able to compare different versions of that file at different revisions -- you can get "raw" map files directly from github urls formed like so: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wesno ... _Clash.map

I'm not sure right now how to get a similarly "raw" listing of the history of a file:, but I think it might be possible... https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... _Clash.map

There are many campaigns and add-ons that are hosted on git repos, besides the main game.
kutaka

Post by kutaka »

Hey, I''ve seen WesnothCanvas before I started my own version. Idea of remaking the transitions drawing algorithm is really appealing, I alse tried to do that, but failed. In the end I coded it almost like original WML. I must say that this task was much more challenging than I expected. ;) As I said, component is not yet production ready, I hope to achieve that status in incoming months.

iceiceice: that could be one possible use of that wesnoth-tiles component. Unfortunately, I did not port everything - I left out caves, bridges, lava, roads and probably more. I ported original Wesnoth drawing system in about 90% - I have tiles rotating messed up (because if different coordinations system) and I feel like vertical layering is also somehow different than original - or buggy. Also Image Builders are somewhat of my own design - probably wrong. That makes some of the Wesnoth terrains hard to implement. Still, simply maps like Isar's Cross could be compared.
kutaka

Post by kutaka »

Just posting here to let you know that work hasn't been stopped and has been progressing nicely.

Today I released version 1.0.0 : github.com/kichooo/wesnoth-tiles.

Lately added - wesnoth style cursor, few more tree sprites, fog, void tiles and really heavy optimization (also heavy lifting is done by separate thread, to save ui from hanging. Library is not really meant to be used by total newbies, so if somebody is pretty new to web gamedev, he better wait for angular-wesnoth-tiles - directive I am planning to prepare.

What I hope to achieve is a base library for people who would like to experiment with creation of hex based games. I believe that it is really hard to make something decently looking without wasting hundreds (thousands?) of hours on drawing rules and sprites.

I will post here when the angular directive is ready, I will maybe create some simple hex game on my own!

I am also thinking about throwing unit sprites in, I'm just not sure if it is really needed.