Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xara

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.2.1 [SP Campaign for 1.12.0]

Post by Xara »

Yes, it's fixed in v0.2.6.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Very Nice!

I liked the campaign. I played on medium, and since I didn't know what I was doing the number of retries seemed appropriate. It was the first time ever I played the Khalifate. Now maybe another ~100 games and I can remember those unit names and what they're good for. ;)

I believe Sulfur made changes on what units can be recruited; if the campaign is supposed to be an introduction to this faction, one idea might be to make the 'original' units recruitable. (I used Naffats but wouldn't know if they are regular members of the Khalifate.)

By and large I liked everything, (story, dialog, art, maps...), so I'll just mention three things:

Pearl of the Desert: Oh boy.
Spoiler:
The Wose
Spoiler:
The End
Spoiler:
Looking forward to the next version of this!
I have a cunning plan.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the Pearl of the Desert:
Remember that both Ilriel and Dawoud are able to recruit. So you can both defend the north and move Ilriel south at the same time. Try to send Ilriel to Ridwan as soon as possible and let Dawoud recruit from the north, that should do fine.

Regarding the end:
I'll keep the end as it is now. Personally I like the dilemma and the dilemma is pretty much the core of the last scenario. Other than that you are probably right, I did not work out the details of why you'll be fighting Nuvdael/Dawoud. The main idea is, that there is a law in the lands of the khalifate which includes that no foreign army may enter the desert realms and if a foreign army decides to do so nonetheless, it has to be fought back by the united forces of the khalids (Dawouds talks few lines about it, but that's it. I'll think about ways on how to improve that). Maybe this isn't the best idea at all, but it should do its job.
Feel free to propose other ideas on how to handle it, though. This one is definetely not carved in stone. The dilemma on the other hand is, yet there are still some things I want to improve about it.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Thanks for the reply.
Sulfur wrote:Remember that both Ilriel and Dawoud are able to recruit. ...
Oh gosh, sure. I definitely should remember that. :lol:

I frequently 'lost' him among all those other units I wasn't used to...
I have a cunning plan.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.3 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.12.0

Post by Kwandulin »

I've uploaded Oath of Allegiance v.0.3 which fixes some minor bugs and adds portraits for Ridwan, Uthman and a different one for Ibn Khazul. The signposts now show directions and I've made rather big changes to scenario 4 ("Beware of the duneworms, avoid camping in the wild."). I've also changed the winged circlet; it now gives a pretty useful bonus. The campaign now has a new icon. I'm looking forward to reading your feedback!

You might also want to check out the first entry of this thread, as I have tried to make an adequate presentation (especially for those who have not yet tried the campaign).

Enjoy!
Xara

Post by Xara »

Spoiler:
By the way, I like your codes. They look exact and clear. It helps me with WML learning. Thanks.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Scenario 1: The art is taken from kSeth, who isn't around anymore, unfortunately. As I am not able to make portraits of such quality, I need to rely on portraits of other guys. At the moment I've got no better portrait at hand. The p4_2.png in the linked thread does not fit either, I guess.

Scenario 2: Karim, the tabib from scenario one, is able to understand the elvish language. He translates what Ilriel is saying. This does not show, though, as it would bloat the dialogues up. I'll try to find a solution for that; probably putting Karim next to Dawoud and giving a small hint that Karim translates (until Ilriel grasps the language of the khalifate humans).

Scenario 3: My personal experience on this is, that it's actually quite hard to defeat Narfi on medium or difficult and the player is likely to lose several of his units. So the player needs his full force -including Dawoud- to bring Narfi down and that will cost him several turns as well as a lot of gold. I think it is appropiate to show the player that trading future gold and units for Narfi's death is actually worth it.
The winged circlet was primarily designed for Ilriel, because she needs a lot of experience to advance and you'll need an Elvish Enchantress sooner or later.

Scenario 4: The suggestion with the distances between the places is good. I'll take a look at other campaigns and try to adapt.
The underground level was meant to be a shortcut where you can avoid the enemy bandits. But I guess I put too many monsters down there. In the next version I'll lower the amounts of enemies, put them into specific places (now they are spawned randomly), give them the guardian status and let them just defend certain places (did you find the shortbow?).

Scenario 5 & 6: Thanks for the hints, I'll try to improve the dialogues.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I've uploaded the new experimental version v.0.4.0 of Oath of Allegiance to the add-on server that is accessible from the Wesnoth 1.13.0 development release.

The experimental version offers new features:
  1. far-reaching improvements of the dialogues
  2. changed and continued the storyline (up to 8 scenarios at the moment)
  3. overall (map) changes to most scenarios
  4. increased difficulty, most notably in scenario 3, 5 and 6
  5. added new terrain: cliffs (still there are some aspects I want to improve about them)
  6. added several new unit types, e.g. the Calik, Eskiya and Okcu
  7. AI improvement, most notably at scenario 3
  8. Ilriel and Dawoud are now unique unit types
  9. added more roleplay elements, most notably the possible AMLA advancements of Dawoud and Ilriel
  10. thickened the plot and added more optional (and hidden) places of interest
  11. several portrait changes
  12. added new soundtracks by West
  13. added several animations (e.g. this by Zoomo)
Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.4 [SP Khalifate Campaign for 1.12.0

Post by Aldarisvet »

Hi.
Recently I had a time to play some UMC campaigns, and I started with yours. I played it not for fun, but to learn some ideas and experience from other authors, so I would not be very enthusiastic in my assessment but impartial and objective.

First about storyline. I can say it is average, not very impressive/intriguing, but not boring of course. Can not say I was eager to finish each level asap to know what will happen with main heroes further (I can say this about The Rough Life campaign, really intriguing storyline there, though that campaign have other disadvantages). However, I would say that eastern/arabian сharm is well reflected in your campaign. Huge addition to it makes decent eastern-motives music. Also it is obviously huge work was done with sprites and animations - even bob animation was made to new units (but I am unsure It is advantage because if you have 10 enemy units on screen trembling themselves, thats not looks good).

Bugs.
Iriel have some problems with ensnare animation. If she misses 3 times stright, it looks like nothing happened, was not attack at all. Something should be done with miss animation.
At Ruins of Kthar level the dayline is always Dungeon despite it is obvious surface were action takes place.
Scenario name for level with wyverns saves game with name of next scenario - Siege of Kesh.

Now about most important - about tactics.
I played it at Hard. Version I downloaded of 30 May.
First three scenarios are really easy and tactically have nothing intresting. The only thing I want to mention - at second level we have to face with level3 trolls, and they easely could kill any unit with one attack if they get luck (and moreover 2 of them can kill one unit). For me it is too early for level3 units there. I would prefer much more level2 trolls instead so I could rotate wounded units. And this situations provokes me using save and load in case level3 troll kills my units with luck.

Then goes the level The Pearl of Desert.
Well, it is MUCH more hard. It does not demand much thinking too, cause you have just only to defend line, and have healers at back. But well, so huge masses of enemies compared nothing similar on previous levels really astounding. I lost most of my leveled up units this level while was repelling siege, but after AI lost all attacking units he still continue to recruit lot of units, and with my few units survived after siege was not so easy to finish enemy (all the time I even not have time to retake all villages). Overally - this is good scenario, but you better make levels with same difficulty. I do not like Idea (I read about it it here in the forum) that every 4-5 levels there should be some easy levels for making leveled up units and making army and then one hard exhausting level to lose it all. Of course, If I knew that level 4 will be so hard, I would try to be more prepeared.

Then the level Face to Face. Well it would be obviously easy level too (supposed relax after hard previous level), but I send Elf lord hero far north to get buckler and it was not suitable for him. Well, shame on me, I said, elf is not wearing buckler. Then I tried to send Dawoud, it was not suitable to him. Then I reloaded, losing many of my time and send Tabib there. Still was not suitable. Well, that makes me angry. Sould be some hint for whom to send here, because road is really long and you have to fight all that time. So I did not reload second time and just finished enemy and damn that buckler. Also the level was a bit harder for me because I started to grow Shides from Elvish Shamans this level. Almost no use from them at this level, but later they really rocks.

Then goes 2 talk only levels (khm, not very impressed, and dragon questions could be more intresting and not about digits, I was lasy to count exactly but was able to guess all answers from 1st time just by overrall comprehension cause I know the way it is counted), then the level with skeletons which was totally easy. Not only you have Naffats to recruit, but also with elf druids skeletons were absolutely helpless.

Well, then goes level Ruins of Kthar.
That level goes after level with dungeon with -400 gold at the end, cause there are no villages at dungeon. So you inevitable get minimum starting gold - 220 gold enough to recall only 11 units. Also you have 4 good heroes - 15 units totally. Versus nundred of units
And these all versus astounding flow of enemies from 6 directions, with these damned Vasi attacking 9-4. (and some of them even attacking 9-6) and attacking more if them wounded.
Wow, that look like really impossible. Obviously you dont even tested this level, not at hard, but even at all, becasue if you would, you would see the bug with dayline.

I tried to defend castle 2-3 times and that was not impossible to defend castle in any way - just not enough units to blocking passages or hold. No chance at all.
Then I started to think. This is the only level were I had to think actually and the only level from which I get fun, however Idea I got obviously was not designed by the author. And I get an idea - to leave castle, attack myself to one direstion, so I get chance not to face all 6 enemies at same time when they come to center, but to deal with them one after another, also blocking passage behind me.
That forests between passages was perfect way to delay enemies with elves.
I killed 64 units losing 0 and actually won the map during that 20 turns. But disadvantage of that strategy is that I lost control over villages and castle.So next level I started with minimum gold again.

Next level with wyverns was easy but funny.
However this level is obvious tomato surprise - if I knew I need many mudafi/rakish, I would get more to get all 6 wyvern riders. I had only 2 rakish and was able to upgrade 1 more and used others 3 for poison. Good idea with that raiders/poison still, poison was very useful too.

And last level - I was not able to finish it. Too many enemies and not enough gold. I killed almost all that Mighwar great army but then goes too much support. You make really gigantic-armies-mainia level however tactically I see nothing complex on it - just need to hold front line. Well, may be if I very carefully refinished level with wyverns to get more gold I would able to finish last level. Still abandoning castle in level Ruins of Kthar devastated my money flow obviously. I decide that last levels of this camapign is too raw for I make so much efforts (I really do not have much free time) so I started to research other campagns.

Here are replays.
Attachments
OA-Face_to_Face_with_the_S..._replay.gz
(49.53 KiB) Downloaded 384 times
OA-The_Pearl_of_the_Desert_replay.gz
(57.86 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
OA-A_Whisper_in_the_Sands_replay.gz
(41.64 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
OA-Peril_replay.gz
(32.29 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
OA-Drought_replay.gz
(26.78 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Last edited by Aldarisvet on June 10th, 2015, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here 3 more replays. Siege of Kesh is actually a replay about level with Wyverns, I wrote about this bug.
And Ruins of Kthar replay I really proud of.
Possibly you should use this tactical idea as idea of the level with hints in dialogs.
Because as I guess, idea of this level was just sitting on the castle and blocking all 6 passages. It is easy if you have 30 units, but it would be really boring.
Attachments
OA-The_Siege_of_Kesh_replay.gz
(57.51 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
OA-Ruins_of_Kthar_replay.gz
(66.84 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
OA-Three_Kings_replay.gz
(50.36 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Just started. I would streamline the dialogs. There is a lot of talking by the southerners, which is a bit boring to read. Valuable information gets lost that way. Just get rid of monologs. Replace with dialogs. About easy and tutorial: Easy and tutorial is not the same. You could ask the player if hints are welcome or not. Or make a 4th option: Easy with hints.
Xalzar

Re: Oath of Allegiance 0.1.1 [SP Campaign for 1.12.0]

Post by Xalzar »

I have only made a quick play of this campaign but I can say that's quite good. Obviously it's still in development, but I like in particular:
1) the credible story (except some points) and the unique atmosphere;
2) the maps, better than most of the mainline campaigns;
3) the unique units (lots of them);
4) the intent behind this campaign.
Kwandulin wrote: While writing the campaign, i decided to stick to the geography of the southern lands.
I see, you have also used the TSG map for the first scenario. I really liked the few hints at the cities of he South in the Geography page of the wiki, and I appreciate the fact that you were inspired by them.
But, how do you reconcile the official maps with your campaign? I highlight what is perhaps the biggest problem: the desert does not reach the coast, so where exactly is Serrul? :hmm:
To solve this perhaps you'd want to look at the map presented in the first post of this topic: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38187
Because if you stop at the official maps the coast is entirely occupied by mountains.

I have got a problem also with climate, but in this case the troubles are more in TSG I think...
In your first map, set in the eastern borders of Southwood, you use arid grass, and soon the group of protagonists finds itself in fairly hot and arid landscapes (I am talking about the first scenarios, ofc after then they are quite far from the starting point).
A pity that if we look at TSG, we find out that in winter it is quite normal to have snow in the lands south of Westin. :augh:

About dialogues:
I agree that the initial pseudo-persian (?) monologues are quite frustrating, since we lose all what they are saying. But OTHO I like that expedient, so I cannot give you a suggestion for that.
I find not so credible that Khalifas were watching Ilriel for long time so far from their city and without elves noticing, and I find their manners quite rude, for people trying to have a help with their ill chief. They really should try asking before menacing to exterminate (*insert Dalek voice*) all the elves, even "women and children".
Something else with dialogues and story raised in me some questions, but again I have had only a quick look, I should look into the files to have a complete idea about that (and again, maybe for you it's now too early to refine the story)

I say nothing about gameplay because as I said I ran through the campaign, concerning mostly about the storyline.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

general: Elvish Forest Spirit unit description is just wrong

"A wispher in the Sands"
i dont think you have to rescue the soldiers in the middle, rather you recruit them
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Xalzar wrote:But, how do you reconcile the official maps with your campaign? I highlight what is perhaps the biggest problem: the desert does not reach the coast, so where exactly is Serrul? :hmm:
Yes, that definitely poses a problem for the campaign. I am not sure wether the bigmap is carved in stone or not, especially the geographical areas that do not have their own bigmap. If we get a bigmap of the southern lands sometime in the future, I'll request if the desert could be slightly enlarged to the south/southeast. The map I've attached shows how I imagine the southlands based on the campaign. Other than that I am currently trying to avoid the mentioned problem by not showing a map at all (except in the first scenario, that doesn't show most of the southern lands anyway).
southernlands.png
Xalzar wrote:In your first map, set in the eastern borders of Southwood, you use arid grass, and soon the group of protagonists finds itself in fairly hot and arid landscapes (I am talking about the first scenarios, ofc after then they are quite far from the starting point).
I agree with you that there is a harsh cut between the grass lands and the desert lands. I imagined that the Mountains of Peril are a natural barrier between those climates.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Done playing it. I needed more than the 36 turns for the last szenario. 2 more to be precise. Would recommend at least 40. Beating the turnlimit is not really an entertaining challenge in my opinion.

I did like the easter eggs. The skeleton with the leadership flute was really hard to spot. I did not find a wose? The teleportation crater was hard too. Maybe get rid of the "not for teleportation"- craters?

In 3 kings (underground) the move to area could be bigger or marked.

The wyvern riders make nice tanks. However they are the slowest units the player has. Maybe speed them up? Even 8 MP would be ok since the movetype is not so great. Funny that the firststrike halberd becomes a marksman lance.

I did not like the horse units very much. No good movement and limited hitpoints together with horse vulnerability. Was that discussed somewhere?

The ambusher with the bow backstab had a wrong unit description.

About the liminal thingy: I would consider a light-liminal and a dark-liminal version
Numbers should be as follows:

----------lim-----li-lim-----da-lim
night___-25%?___-25%____0%
twilight___0%___+25%__+25%
day____-25%?_____0%__-25%

Has there ever been a discussion about this liminal thingy?

I like the bunch of unique units. However I would asume that makes it harder to get into mainline.

Oh, the hero needs more amla option. Maybe leadership/range weapon/better defence? At least he needs standard amla at the end. The elf-hero amla was enough for me.

Some nice storyline after victory would be cool.

Would be awesome if the art department is picking this up.