Spearman Female

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SausageRolls

Spearman Female

Post by SausageRolls »

Hi this is my first forum post and i'm doingit because i've seen the new loyalistpictures and they look great but i can't help feeling that the spearman looks a tad outdated with hisless 'shinieness' so I fiddled with his colors very slightly to shine him up a bit. What i'd like to know is is their any point in me doing this?

Something more likely tohave a point though is a female spearman i'm working on would this have a chace if it was any good?
EDIT: Current Female Spearman or Spearwoman.
Attachments
spearman.png
spearman.png (2.21 KiB) Viewed 7754 times
Elvish_Hunter

Re: Spearman Female

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Welcome to the forums. :)
At the top of Art Contributions forum, there is this announcement that clearly states that our baseframes are pretty much finished. Besides, both the baseframe update and the female spearman topics were already discussed here and here.
Nevertheless, a female Spearman may be useful for UMC (but there may be the problem of not having female Javelineers, Swordswomen, Royal Guards, Pikewomen and Halberdiers), this is why I moved this thread to the Art Workshop.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Alright then:
  • Colors; You say that you have tweaked his "shinierism" a bit, but I don't really see it...
    (it seems to have the same colors as mainline one)
  • In fact, it should not be too shiny. Spearman is cheapest, universal, multiurpose cannon fodder, staple and spine of army of Wesnoth. Nothing says "just another expendable footsoldier" like spearman. They're ordinary like... Like something oridnary. ;) Their armor should not shine. It's a cheap breastplate/scale mail they bought themselves from what little pay (only 14gp for a battle? :mrgreen: ) they get. Higher levels are more shiny, because they are veterans, the elite. They are supposed to look shinier (and better) than 1st levels.
  • As for actaul differences: It seems that you have just removed skirt of armor (quite ironically) and put some dark pixels around breastplate area. Really, that is not enough to say that he is she.
Even worse, I can't think of any improvement within current spearman design. Hair would be covered by helmet (assuming that women soldiers would like to keep their hair long under helmets, but that's just acceptable break from reality), they would wear pants because that would be practical, they would use the same set of cheap armor as men (they don't have enough cash to ask platesmith for custom one...)In fact, possibly any other unit would be easier to be remade as female (bowmen and fencers use just light clothes, officers and cavalry have custom stylised plate armors and show more face, the same applies to spearman advancements...)
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Shinobody wrote:Even worse, I can't think of any improvement within current spearman design. Hair would be covered by helmet (assuming that women soldiers would like to keep their hair long under helmets, but that's just acceptable break from reality), they would wear pants because that would be practical, they would use the same set of cheap armor as men (they don't have enough cash to ask platesmith for custom one...)In fact, possibly any other unit would be easier to be remade as female (bowmen and fencers use just light clothes, officers and cavalry have custom stylised plate armors and show more face, the same applies to spearman advancements...)
Female = slimmer waist, broader hips, more prominent chest

Male= broader waist, slimmer hips, less prominent chest

And actually, if the hair is long enough, some of it would most likely show at the base of the helmet.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Depends on the military's policy. I know women in the army here can have long hair, but must tie it in some way that doesn't go below the ears (or something like that). And anyway, not every unit needs to have a female variant. I thought the loyalist military not having females was a thematic feature (I liked it, for what it's worth).
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Picka79

Post by Picka79 »

I read your advice and I tried to apply them :
spearman+female.png
spearman+female.png (1.21 KiB) Viewed 6245 times
OmnisScio

Post by OmnisScio »

I'm betting there are a lot of female spearman frame 1 out there, but the spearman has no less than 53 frames, a daunting task.
Picka79

Post by Picka79 »

It is feasible, but long... :whistle:
First, it's necessary to know if you like this frame, and if they will be useful. 53 useless frames, it's a waste of time.
OmnisScio

Post by OmnisScio »

I personally like it and would use it if the full set was made.