Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Post by revansurik »

Sorry folks, but this bug will have to wait a bit, as I'm full of university work right now, and I simply can't find the cause of the bug. It's not that the macro is missing, it's there, letter by letter; I tried changing the macro's name, to no avail; I've tried removing that bit of code, and the game just invented another missing macro (which wasn't actually missing, as it was also there); I've tried removing two units which I had created after finishing gameplay of the new arc... It must be some missing bracket or the like somewhere in the code, but quite frankly, I don't have either the time or the mood to search for it right now.

I'll even place the macro here, so that you can see that it does exist; if someone finds a mistake which I haven't seen before, please tell me; I may ask for aid in the WML forum later, but first I need to locate where the bug is, because the game's error message can't even do that. Frankly, this campaign will definitely be my last, I'm sick of these ninja bugs :augh:

Just to remind, I changed the macro from ABILITY_LIFE_FORCE to ABILITY_LIFE_STRENGTH

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_LIFE_STRENGTH
    [regenerate]
        value=24
        id=life_force
        name= _ "life force"
        description= _ "This unit draws upon the power of Nature, thus recovering its strength and 24 hp. Effects of poisoning are nullified as well."
        affect_self=yes
        poison=cured
    [/regenerate]
#enddef

#define SPECIAL_NOTES_LIFE_STRENGTH
_"This unit draws upon the power of Nature, thus recovering its strength and 24 hp. Effects of poisoning are nullified as well."#enddef
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Fixed it.
Issue was with the following definition. Note that I too replaced LIFE_FORCE with LIFE_STRENGHT

#define SPECIAL_NOTES_RADIANCE
    _"This unit is possessed by the Brilliant Flame; consequently, it illuminates the surrounding area, making lawful units fight 30% better. Also, the Flame replenishes the unit's own strength, regenerating it in 10 hp."
. #endde

#################################################################### SELF-AFFECTING ABILITIES ################################################################

#define ABILITY_LIFE_STRENGTH 
But then there will arise another bug '{MISSILE_FRAME_VOLCANIC_EXPLOSION} missing at blah/blah/blah/ Queen in the air . And that definitely is missing. I replaced VOLCANIC with ETHERIA, which actually is for Galdra and the game loaded. Yet to play. Will let you know if there is any other issue.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

:mrgreen:

Man, I owe you one; I was really stressed because of that problem, I was so anxious to publish the new arc only for a stupid bug like that spoil it... The Volcanic Explosion is for one of the units which I removed ;-)
Anyway, now the campaign should work as expected. Have fun with the new arc, and sorry for the rant, I was really annoyed at that bug, you know ^^

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
dracostar

Post by dracostar »

Hey, sorry, but I updated to the latest version, and found a bug saying 'MISSILE_FRAME_DG_SECOND_MUZZLE_FLARE_HIT_SOUTH' is missing and the campaign refused to start again :oops:
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

*sigh* Ok, what exactly does the error say? Like, the file and the line (it'll appear as a number) in which the macro is missing?
Also, just to make sure, you're playing this campaign in 1.11, aren't you?

;-)
dracostar

Post by dracostar »

Okay so the error is 'MISSILE_FRAME_DG_SECOND_MUZZLE_FLARE_HIT_SOUTH' is missing at ~add-ons/Aria_of_the_Dragon_Slayer/units/miscelanea/Flagship.cfg:102 included from ~add-ons/Aria_of_the_Dragon_Slayer/_main.cfg:117"
I'm sorry I know you have a lot of work on your plate, just wanted you to know the issue
Edit: BTW I'm running the latest version of the campaign on 1.11.6
Last edited by dracostar on October 4th, 2014, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corvus94

Post by Corvus94 »

That's odd, the campaign is working fine for me (I'm running it on 1.11.9). Speaking of which... wow, you've done some amazing work on this arc. The convergence of loose ends and disparate story elements is reminding me very favorably of After the Storm's concluding scenarios. It really is a shame that this is going to be your last campaign, though your reasons for that decision are quite understandable. But, enough gushing, on to the comments!

Dawn of Another Day: This one includes a healthy dose of unintentional humor; the Wesnothian flagship has a preference for recruiting Orcish units. Given the terrain, they're about as effective as... well... drowning orcs :lol:
Beyond that, I enjoyed the overall design of the map. The naval battle was a fun departure from the norm, and the placement of Arajunnan plateaus to provide cover for encircling groups was a nice touch.

Clash of Powers: Unfortunately, the ending of this scenario didn't work for me. After
Spoiler:
, she just stands there and refuses to attack. I tried attacking her, both in and out of Dragonslayer mode, but that doesn't seem to trigger anything either. If/when
Spoiler:
, the scenario doesn't end and no one acknowledges it, though she does lose an extra 10-16 hp on top of the damage done to her. Eventually, I had to use the debug console to finish the scenario.
Other than that, this map was very well done. My only complaint is that the difficulty can vary widely depending on whether you go east or south, and the map's too large for it to be practical to scout each route beforehand.

Dead World: The cameos were a welcome surprise, the fight in the maw was tense and challenging, and the final twist was perfectly executed.
Spoiler:
appearance as a lost soul was my favorite thing about the scenario; it was a genuinely shocking and poignant moment that contrasts well with Wesnoth's usual tone. It seems obvious that you intended this scenario to be a highlight of the campaign, and you succeeded. There are a few nitpicks that deserve mention, though. The first part of the scenario, before entering the maw, is pretty tedious from a gameplay perspective - it basically consists of you moving a huge army halfway across the map with no appreciable resistance (Lord Jerkface's retinue is paltry compared to your own forces). Though it might be impractical to implement, I think this scenario could take a page from Delfador's Memoirs (never thought I'd say that) by having you assemble an army as you progress through the scenario. Maybe
Spoiler:
could enslave the souls that she kills or something? Also, the final encounter is somewhat unfair. By then, there will almost certainly be no gold remaining to recruit a decent screening force, without which the hero units suffer from "paladin vs. walking corpse" syndrome - enemy attacks, hero kills enemy, next enemy attacks, and so on until the hero is overwhelmed in a single turn. I was able to wiggle out of it by getting the lost souls to converge and then bombing them with Ryujin Tenshou, but I barely had enough time to pull it off. Speaking of which, the turn limit once again seems to be extremely tight. That's not necessarily bad in this instance, since the story explains it and there's no gold carryover, but it does limit your options in the final encounter.

And that concludes my comments for the Dreamland arc. It'll be interesting to see how you plan to top this one. Until then, thanks for pressing on despite those borderline Sisyphean bugs. The end product is definitely worth it :mrgreen:
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Dawn of Another Day: Eh, the orcs were not supposed to be there, though... :shock:

Clash of Powers: So she's still refusing to fight? :annoyed: I thought I had solved that already... However, when Tenma died from counter-attack, the ending occurred normally...

Dead World: Well, yes, I wanted that scenario to stand out; I also wanted to give it an Underworld feeling - because, no offence intended, the Land of the Dead from Delfador's Memoirs was a bit... meh :whistle: I'm glad that I managed to make it as I wished :-)
And that concludes my comments for the Dreamland arc. It'll be interesting to see how you plan to top this one. Until then, thanks for pressing on despite those borderline Sisyphean bugs. The end product is definitely worth it :mrgreen:
I won't leave this campaign unfinished, don't worry :-D Besides, I always have the players to help me solve those bugs ^_^

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Hi again folks! No, this is not a release of the last part of the campaign, sorry ;-) I want to make it a worthy finale, so I'm planning well each scenario. On the other hand, I used some free time to replay the whole campaign, and I found a great deal of bugs and other undesirable things; I've also made some alterations to portraits and all.
BTW, I tried to upload it to the 1.12 server, but I got the same error as when I tried to upload War of the Jewel there (illegal character in the name of a folder or a file); I haven't been able to find the cause of that error yet, so it will take a little while until I upload it there.

And here goes the changelog for version 0.3.4:

Changelog V. 0.3.4

- Scenarios:
    - Dawn of a New Day: Some changes to dialogue and to soundtrack
	- Tenma versus Aetheryon: Some changes to dialogue
	- Underground War: Fixed bug which caused Shwarzel to recruit Shadows
	- Cold Mountains: Slight changes to dialogue
	- Fire Storm Rising: Slight changes to dialogue
	- The King-in-the-Woods: Slight changes to dialogue
    - Friendly Fire: Corrected repeated 'Death of Valerya' lose condition
	- Siege of Shek'harya: Increased allies' gold; some changes to dialogue
	- Frosty Shores: Changes to map (added villages) and to dialogue
	- The Earth's Mouth: Corrected bug which switched Derceto's and Tallin IV's starting places; slight changes to dialogue
	- The Key to the Past: Added Wraith and Shadow to Aetheryon's recruit list
	- Rekindling of a Flame: Some changes to cinematics and soundtrack
	- Fires of Hatred: Some changes to soundtrack
	- Crimson Caves: Added 'find Algil' objective
	- The Seer's Prophecy: Some corrections to dialogue
	- Dawn of Another Day: Tenma and her friends are no longer moved automatically to keep inside the city; replaced Cornelya's hero icon with leader icon
    - Clash of Powers: Corrected bug which caused Galdra to die
- Miscelanea:
    - Decreased bonus given by Nature Master ability
	- Some changes to intro texts

- Units:
    - Fixed Donar's missing hero icon
	- Fixed missing icons of Dragon-Slayer's attacks

- Artwork
    - Changes to the portraits of Valerya, Aetheryon, Ankhmare, Dragana and An-Usrukhar
- WML:
    - When a hero unit dies by the Life Consumer special, death event is triggered

;-)
rantoni34

Post by rantoni34 »

@revansurik Hello, I just want to tell you "good work". And I just want to ask you, if Olokun's uranometria and akhenaten really aren't working or is it just a bug??? Because I've learned both of them but they just keep being 'inactive' even under normal weather (unlike the usual stormy weather with no sun and stars, as you cleverly [cunningly??] put in most of the scenario ;) ).
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

rantoni34 wrote:@revansurik Hello, I just want to tell you "good work". And I just want to ask you, if Olokun's uranometria and akhenaten really aren't working or is it just a bug??? Because I've learned both of them but they just keep being 'inactive' even under normal weather (unlike the usual stormy weather with no sun and stars, as you cleverly [cunningly??] put in most of the scenario ;) ).
Thanks! ^_^
Well, they should be working... Perhaps I mispelled something when defining the time of day the ability should be activated; I use the Two Suns' schedule in AotDS, it has lots of IDs... :hmm:

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Folks, I'm sending this message to say that, unfortunately, the final part of this campaign will be delayed. I've had some dire problems in RL, and I'll take some time to recover from them. Don't worry, though, the final part will be released; I've actually finished the writing part, all that's left now is coding and map/unit drawing. I just can't guarantee it will be released before the end of this year.
Apologies to those who are waiting for this final part, but I really need to take a break and recover from what happened.

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

I hope whether it is health or something else that things get better for you soon.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

And so, after almost two months and a delay caused by an unexpected bug...

Part IX is out!!!

March of Kings, the final part of Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and of the entire Dragon Trilogy, is finally out and ready for play! :-D
Well, it's been a long work - I started writing the plot for this campaign in February -, but it was fun to me, and I hope it's been fun for all of you as well ^_^
Again I apologize for the delay; I finished the writing in early November, but, on the very same day I finished it, my father passed away, and so for a few weeks I was in no state of mind to write the scenarios and draw the maps; when making a story, I like to be calm and at ease, so that it may end up as good as it can be. Only in early December did I resumed working on the last part, by which time I was already a lot better.
Speaking of which, I've really enjoyed makings these campaigns in the last two years; but next year, I'll have to change my priorities, a I'll start looking for another job, and as I want to dedicate myself to another writing project of mine. With these two goals in mind, I won't have time for making new campaigns. But I'll certainly be maintaining the ones I've made - and, if someone wants to make a campaign based on any of the characters of the Dragon Trilogy, he/she will have my support, should they ask for it ^_^
One thing I must say about this release is that it may be a bit lacking in terms of artwork (some animations missing, etc); I really had little time these last weeks, specially as the day of my travel came closer. I hope it doesn't spoil the fun in playing the finale of this long series. But, when I come back, I will correct any bug or missing thing ;-)
That said, have fun with March of Kings - hopefully without any bug spoiling it! ^_^

Changelog V. 0.4.0
- Scenarios:
    - Scenarios 39 to 51 completed
- Units:
    - Removed wargs

- Artwork
    - Changes to the portraits of Maat'Karian units
- WML:
    - When a hero unit dies by the Life Consumer special, death event is triggered

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Where do I find it? I just checked the add on server for 1.11.13 and it's not there.

Sorry about your loss. I lost my mother in 2012 and father in 2013 so I do know how you must have felt.