[DIY] making html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shadow_Walker

Re: [DIY] making html5 wesnoth-themed roguelike

Post by Shadow_Walker »

optimother wrote:
[x] Accessible by trapdoor from the surface, take stairs to climb back to the sun (white dots on minimap, same as shops)
Why is it the same? White color on minimap is also snow, lava and enemies are indistinguishable too. Why not make them different?
Point taken. Now stairs and monoliths will be purple, shops - white, lava - pink, snow - light gray. Monoliths will grant random aura upon activation.
optimother wrote:I would prefer map covered with some kind of fog initially (like no monsters at all, real estate as a white dot), but since you've discovered something you'd be able to tell for sure what it is.
Hmm.. I do not have a clear understanding on how to implement fog of war. Tried to take it on once, but it turned out to be too complex for a quick feature.
optimother wrote:Since we have underground now, maybe add undead heroes too? I'd like to grow dark adept into mature necromancer raising corpses :) Or vampire draining enemies blood, but suffering of sunlight
Well.. It is a great idea for an sequel or spin-off, but at this time it will require too many changes in practically all game concepts, so setting this aside for now.
optimother wrote:Bug: potion dropped on staircase is not taken when you step on it, only get to the ground
Feature request: shift-click buys/sells 5 items (scroll, armor, supporters :))
Feature request: warn about aura expiration.
Feature request with implementation: a key for auto-attack
Aura expiration - that could be done in two ways (or a combination of): first, I can make aura more transparent with time, creating "fade off" effect with time. Second, I can make aura rotation slower until a full stop reached at about expiration time. Text notification about "x turns left until aura expires" is an easy, but a kinda atmosphere-destructive way to implement such effect, imho.

Auto-attack - I recall that you implemented it already, right? Do you have a patch for 0.89a? Procedure of patch application is much easier than git repository browsing and figuring out all dependencies on my own. Same request for buying/selling 5 items at a time..
optimother

Post by optimother »

Shadow_Walker wrote:Point taken. Now stairs and monoliths will be purple, shops - white, lava - pink, snow - light gray. Monoliths will grant random aura upon activation.
Much better, thanks!
Hmm.. I do not have a clear understanding on how to implement fog of war. Tried to take it on once, but it turned out to be too complex for a quick feature.
Simplest I can think of is to create a player-seen copy of map, initially populated with terrain (maybe, if you prefer exploration-style it will should be all blank at the start), and when player sees something (in the daylight you see twice as much as in the night) it is saved to his map. When he doesn't see something it's not changing, so monster may have already moved, but since you don't see it, on your map it is standing where you saw it. What do you think?
Well.. It is a great idea for an sequel or spin-off, but at this time it will require too many changes in practically all game concepts, so setting this aside for now.
Ehh.. If you were using git I could have implemented it keeping up with your current changes, because to merge your changes now it's essentially redo it by myself.
Aura expiration - that could be done in two ways (or a combination of): first, I can make aura more transparent with time
That'd be perfect, I think. Unobtrusive and perfectly noticeable. Start fading when it have 100 turns left, so that you start worrying about it only when it's time to.
Auto-attack - I recall that you implemented it already, right? Do you have a patch for 0.89a? Procedure of patch application is much easier than git repository browsing and figuring out all dependencies on my own. Same request for buying/selling 5 items at a time..
I'll check latest sources later, but I hope it will remain more or less the same: https://github.com/optimouser/wessense/ ... 6fce7340be . I think it should be Math.min(player.range, player.sight_range), because without it you can shoot straight into the dark like a sniper :)

Also I've done many cleanups and rewrite that you often refer to, do you need it or just discard that?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Shadow_Walker wrote:I asked pixelmind about his beautiful dragon, which is missing attack/defense sprites, but did not get any ETA on remaining poses, unfortunately.
That's not completely correct. It's true that the new version only has the baseframe available, but the old version is fully animated, and was first used (and is still used, by the way) in A Rough Life.
I'm attaching the frames for your convenience. :)
Attachments
dragons.zip
(717 KiB) Downloaded 670 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

optimother wrote:
I'll check latest sources later, but I hope it will remain more or less the same: https://github.com/optimouser/wessense/ ... 6fce7340be . I think it should be Math.min(player.range, player.sight_range), because without it you can shoot straight into the dark like a sniper :)
Also I've done many cleanups and rewrite that you often refer to, do you need it or just discard that?
Ahem, I was asking for a patch, because I don't want to search for missing functions myself. Highlighted code in your git reference contains function which I don't have in my version. Many cleanups - same thing.I will gladly accept a 100% complete patch, which just needs to be inspected and applied to latest published version. Reference to git requiring me to scan external repository for all missing bits manually - no, thanks :)
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:
Shadow_Walker wrote:I asked pixelmind about his beautiful dragon, which is missing attack/defense sprites, but did not get any ETA on remaining poses, unfortunately.
That's not completely correct. It's true that the new version only has the baseframe available, but the old version is fully animated, and was first used (and is still used, by the way) in A Rough Life.
I'm attaching the frames for your convenience. :)
Very promising dragon, thank you! It looks different from the final version, but having "not so scaly" dragon is much better than having no dragon at all. :)

I wish it could be more detailed and dangerous, though. More like this one (commercial homm dragon):
optimother

Post by optimother »

Try starting as dwarven thunderer, hard/avg/avg/hordes, seed = 0.36745059909299016 :)
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

optimother wrote:Try starting as dwarven thunderer, hard/avg/avg/hordes, seed = 0.36745059909299016 :)
Nice :)
Flaming Sword right there, no guards.

BTW, do you still see game lock-ups? I played quite a few games, and I had none :(
Either I am not selecting same game options as you guys, or my screen resolution is optimized for non-freezing play, or..
I just can't get a single freeze to debug it.

Teaser for 0.90a (don't worry, red dragon will be there too):
"Poor Bilbo!" (c)
optimother

Post by optimother »

One more weird thing: start as elvish archer, hard/avg/avg/hordes, seed = 0.32043554191477597. go right/down/right/down, kill tusker, go into the forest some right/some up, kill bottommost highwayman, and then kill super thief to the right of sword. congratulations, game over.
Shadow_Walker wrote:Teaser for 0.90a (don't worry, red dragon will be there too):
"Poor Bilbo!" (c)
I hope it will not be surrounded with level 0 goblins? :) Do you have any plans to increase monster level as game progresses? For example, starting spot has level 0/1 monsters, the further from spot - level increases, so if you walked very far and reached level 20, there is almost no level 0. Or generate some kind of monster terrain, where mountains are high level groups, and waters are level 0? Or just increase moster's hp and attack every morning.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

I find that purple dragon cool 8)
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

W.Essense v0.90a released:
http://www.wessense.org/

[x] Dragons added:
- Three mighty Dragons inhabit Island
- Dragons are huge and deadly - be warned
- Dragons guard gold. Lots of gold!

[x] Aura - expiration indication implemented:
- bright initially, starts fading down in 100 turns before the expiration
- aura rotation speed slows down every turn within 100 turns of expiration

[x] Monoliths improved:
- now can be found in Caves too
- unclaimed Monoliths grant random aura upon claiming if player does not have an aura already
- monoliths (both claimed and unclaimed) recharge player's existing aura when visited

[x] Spell scrolls could now be sold at 50% discount, instead of -1 gold
[x] Occupied Castle expanded to accomodate for treasure chests
[x] Touch-friendly auto-attack implemented, turns off when health drops to <config_value>% of health (see "Options")
[x] Game tuning options are now listed in "options" menu - for replay purposes (see "Options")
[x] Minimap changes: snow is gray, lava is pink, entrances and monoliths are purple now
[x] Unit rendering order fixed, now it is strictly top-to-bottom ordered
[x] debug/cheat codes added - when nothing else helps, we do ctrl+c, then type in magic word or two.

Bundles:
Linux64: http://wessense.org/binaries/wessense-0 ... x64.tar.gz
Mac: http://wessense.org/binaries/wessense-0.90a-mac.zip
Win: http://wessense.org/binaries/wessense-0.90a-win.zip
optimother

Post by optimother »

Is it me so lucky, or quests now located closely to the ship?
Difficulty: Hard, Map: Average, Resources: Average, Monsters: Hordes, Animation: Fastest, Seed: 0.21539295325055718
Shadow_Walker wrote: [x] Touch-friendly auto-attack implemented, turns off when health drops to <config_value>% of health (see "Options")
I suppose you don't play your game, because this auto attack interpretation is just a bad joke. Well, it is of course fun if you start at level 43, you just walk and don't care who was killed, especially in underground you can't even know whats killed, but in real game it's a great source of frustration for weak fighters. The idea was not to make a button that doesn't work when you click on it (try yourself having auto-attack disabled, come to a nice spot for shooting and click on it. nothing happens) and helps you die more often (when you need urgent action but instead fired something unimportant), but that gives you an option not to rub touchpad like crazy hunting evading troll from you hiding in forest. I've implemented it, showed it in action, sent to you, and yet you invent it your own way.

Sure it's perfectly ok to decline something others propose and do it your way, just wondering why not to say that upfront?
Shadow_Walker wrote: Ahem, I was asking for a patch, because I don't want to search for missing functions myself. Highlighted code in your git reference contains function which I don't have in my version. Many cleanups - same thing.I will gladly accept a 100% complete patch, which just needs to be inspected and applied to latest published version. Reference to git requiring me to scan external repository for all missing bits manually - no, thanks :)
What's the function is missing? Here is the commit I pointed applies perfectly automatically on your latest 0.90a:

Code: Select all

curl https://github.com/optimouser/wessense/commit/fbb45f740f575374186e166517afc96fce7340be.patch | patch -p1
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  1053    0  1053    0     0    339      0 --:--:--  0:00:03 --:--:--   420
patching file js/GAME.js
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1125 with fuzz 2 (offset 205 lines).
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

2Optimother:
Your patch has/calls the following function, which is missing from v0.89a / v.090a:
GAME.player.tryAttack
which leads to an obvious game break. While it is easy to check GAME.player source and extract that function in addition to the git-highlighted one, your patch should have included it to be usable.

Yep, I do play this game myself. I do *not* like your implementation of auto-attack, that's true. I have not seen anyone supporting your way to do it either. Feel free to have it in your private version, or send me a *complete* patch, implementing this functionality as a complimentary option. I also went through your other modifications listed in git - sorry, they have to be discussed first, in majority of cases.

"...in underground you can't even know whats killed.." - use Light aura to reduce darkness in Caves, everything is perfectly visible. Yes, it is hard to stay alive in Caves, but hey, it was announced for seasoned characters, not 1-15 lvl heros.
optimother

Post by optimother »

Shadow_Walker wrote:2Optimother:
Your patch has/calls the following function, which is missing from v0.89a / v.090a:
GAME.player.tryAttack
which leads to an obvious game break. While it is easy to check GAME.player source and extract that function in addition to the git-highlighted one, your patch should have included it to be usable.

Yep, I do play this game myself. I do *not* like your implementation of auto-attack, that's true. I have not seen anyone supporting your way to do it either. Feel free to have it in your private version, or send me a *complete* patch, implementing this functionality as a complimentary option. I also went through your other modifications listed in git - sorry, they have to be discussed first, in majority of cases.
Ok now it's clear and I'm happy :) We have a different visions on what makes game interesting, I don't insist you do it my way, just report my thoughts and you do whatever you want with that feedback.
"...in underground you can't even know whats killed.." - use Light aura to reduce darkness in Caves, everything is perfectly visible. Yes, it is hard to stay alive in Caves, but hey, it was announced for seasoned characters, not 1-15 lvl heros.
You kill something, not get killed. Btw, if playing without cheats, I'd like to have an opportunity to invest the gold grabbed in underground into something more or less persistent (hp/attack) because super dark matriarch can put down even very high level hero in a single long distance shot and you end up with nothing at all.
Shadow_Walker

Post by Shadow_Walker »

optimother wrote: I'd like to have an opportunity to invest the gold grabbed in underground into something more or less persistent (hp/attack) because super dark matriarch can put down even very high level hero in a single long distance shot and you end up with nothing at all.
But.. There are weapons shops, where you can buy hp, attack and armor, right? You can pump up all characteristics of your hero..
optimother

Post by optimother »

Shadow_Walker wrote: But.. There are weapons shops, where you can buy hp, attack and armor, right? You can pump up all characteristics of your hero..
Hm, I've never run across them in the underground. Btw, as a level 9 thunderer with 1x23 ranged attack and holy aura I stepped down to the underground and cleared it entirely. Especially after level 20 you just unreachable to almost anyone except some dragon which required some meteors. But as a level 26 rugue somewhat around 6x40 ranged attack (probably with light aura) I died there like crazy. Where's the justice? :)