Chaoz Battle of the Wizards (new Scenario)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gwledig

Chaoz Battle of the Wizards (new Scenario)

Post by Gwledig »

I am announcing a small scenario which I have uploaded to the addon server on the current stable (but not yet the development server), this is based on Julian Gollop's "Chaos" series of games from the 1980s where you have a wizard in several corners of a map which can summon monsters and cast spells, this is in fact one of the oldest turn based computer games and a source of Wesnoth itself.

In this scenario you get a "Wizard" located someplace on the map, you are fighting other wizards, you can right-click your wizard to summon a range of monsters and cast offensive spells like "Magic Missile" or "Convert Foe", some of the "modifying" spells have a percentage failure possibility. The spells and units use Wesnoth core types and are not particularly drawn from Chaos, but tries to preserve the original feel of the older game.

There is no levelling up for units and the stats are very different than normal Wesnoth, the units are partly based on my other scenario I maintain, Conquest+ (e.g. the "Magus" unit).

The maps available include a few basic 6 player maps and modified versions of the auto generated maps that come with Wesnoth, castles don't feature much because they are not used to summon units. The random maps hopefully add the option for more varied game options & expansibility.

A nice feature of this scenario is that it just uses normal maps which can be made in the map editor, but needs a valid scenario file with the map path added, any of the "normal" (not random map generator) scenario files shown in the Chaoz pack can be re-used to make such as new map, I would recommend changing the ID/name and description if anyone wants to make such a new map for Chaoz, you can PM me or post to this thread.

At this stage there's no development thread for "Chaoz" on the multiplayer forum thread so maybe if you have comments post them here or PM me, you can download the latest version "Chaoz" on the addon server.
chaoz2.PNG
chaoz3.PNG
Chaoz battle of the wizards.PNG
Gwledig

Re: Chaoz Battle of the Wizards (new Scenario)

Post by Gwledig »

Various updates to this small scenario: (v. 0.2)

Fixed issue with missing wizard type, if you spawn as a random wizard (Elder Mage) it didn't work due to typo, and you spawned as a Master of Arms, this is fixed

Replace castle and keep tiles in random maps with grass, this is because keep is not used and may be confusing but also because victory conditions rely on having at least one unit with canrecruit=yes (otherwise weird things seem to happen)

Added many new spells, including effect spells on the wizard and general area effect spells on monsters i.e. healing

Nerfed quite a few things, archer bows and most wizard missile spells are reduced in damage.
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

version 0.3

A few small updates such as lower % chances for disintegrate, turn to stone and convert enemy, these were looking OP...
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

version 0.4,0.5

Added clearer victory conditions on turn 1, if all your wizards die (main and summoned apprentices), you loose you need to kill all enemy wizards (main and apprentices) to win.

Added teleport ability.

Various small tweaks to unit stats for balance..
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

version 0.6

Added "Isar's cross" map to the pack
Fixed new spell to add +15 hp to all monsters
Updated victory conditions
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

version="0.7"

Added more core Wesnoth maps to the pack and tweaked random maps
Fixed cavalry sounds so they don't play racial e.g. human sound as well as horse sound when cav unit is selected
Renamed all maps so the map name appears more visible in map selection list in multiplayer screen list
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

version="0.8"

Added a new intro portrait (Wose)
Using missiles by wizard, archer or dragon or summoning monsters costs 1 movement point, you can't summon if movement is 0
RemoteBomb

Post by RemoteBomb »

Played this for the first time just now: downloaded it from the add-on server, started it in single player (less than a turn) just to make sure it worked, then got some people for a 4 player game on Isar's Cross. It was fun and confusing and kind of crazy. No bugs found. We got into a tug of war over a dragon with control foe XD. The screen tint and turn countdown is a bit aggravating. Also, you can hear the sound effects for other players spells which is a bit of an information leak. (The "O he just summoned a vampire" laugh is especially distinctive.)

I will probably play/host this some more this week if I have time. Hope to see it get some love.

First part of the replay attached if you are interested. I stayed until the end a few turns later, but since I was defeated I guess that ended the replay early. Its obvious how it was gonna go from there anyway. (To be clear, I was purple because it is my favorite color. And I did make clear in the game's title that it wasn't normal Isar's Cross.)
Attachments
Chaoz_(4p_Isar's_Cross),_Right-Click_wizard_to_summoncast_spells-Auto-Save7.gz
(180.88 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Thanks for the feedback Remotebomb also check out Lazersquad another mini scenario im working on at the mo based on old squad games, also inspired by same game author of Chaos, Jullian Gollop, it's a testament to his genius we are still playing games based on his designs from the 80s (including Wesnoth itself!) You can see info on Lazersquad in its own thread in the forums.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Chaos version "1.0"

Fixed objective screens to show full details when using Menu > Scenario Objectives
decreased auto income from 10 to 5
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Chaoz 1.1

When units are summoned they now have 0 moves on turn they are recruited.
Gwledig

Chaoz Battle of the Wizards is now on 1.12.10 server

Post by Gwledig »

Chaoz is now available on the new 1.12.0 server. Please PM me (Gwledig) or post to the Chaoz thread.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Chaoz 1.2

Missing elvish rider icon fixed for "Light" mages.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

chaoz version="1.3"

Added instruction how to view the Random maps in the game lobby setup in opening screen & in-game Scenario Objectives:

- To make the 'Random' maps available in the game lobby, change 'Game Type' to 'Random Maps'
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Slight fix to ensure defeat condition (dead of all your wizards) results in loss of the side/ defeat.