War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lecram92

Re: War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews

Post by lecram92 »

What happened at the end of War of Jewel? I just started Part III, but we are not continuing the heroes from part II?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Blazing Hatred is very difficult, I lost half of my precious djinns and lava giants here. Enemies have a huge advantage in numbers, unit quality and damage output. Washraha are just obnoxious and tough to crack, while juggernauts deal immense damage. But my only problem with this scenario is actually of economic nature. There is no turn limit, so no early finish bonus (unlike what it says, btw you should remove that line of text from the info box in all no-limit scenarios, such as this and Dark Eclipse). To survive and win, one has to recruit a lot, both heavy hitters and fodder. This means going heavily into the red, but then it's suddenly over and you start the next scenario with minimum gold. Consider adding a turn limit, not long (it's over soon either way :)), but just enough to reward killing those 55 units quickly.
Well, that scenario is supposed to be difficult; when I played it, I used water elementals (some of lvl 2 and 3 from past scenarios) on the swampy and water terrains a lot; ghosts, wraiths and spectres are deadly against the Washraha, who have no arcane or fire unit, and also against the giants, who are vulnerable to cold attacks. However, I do acknowledge that establishing no turn limit may have been a mistake...
Cradle of Darkness: There is little point heading north, better to kill purple as soon as he appears and then make a stand in the forest. With flyers and chomi on the player's side, fighting in the woods is preferable, since enemies have reduced mobility. Bait humans out with 70% def chomi, zombify them with Mahyus' ultimate, while other heroes deal with skeletons. Trying to reach the mountain only risks losses and extends the battle, which means less carryover for the next mission.
Well, moving northwards is mostly due to storyline reasons, since that's the direction they're going; that's why I didn't make moving to the mountain a victory condition. But I also thought that defending from the mountain would be easier than staying in the southern part of the peninsula facing enemies from both sides - but, at scenario 26, player has got to have a strong army anyway :-)
What happened at the end of War of Jewel? I just started Part III, but we are not continuing the heroes from part II?
What, did you start 'From Darkness' and no hero appeared?
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

Atenak's and Nyx's advancement gets screwed up at some point, purple AMLA changes back to blue as if indicating lvl4 advancement, but they never level up or gain hit points (Atenak is stuck at 53hp, Nyx at 69hp).

Faun Soldier advancing to Captain loses 1 movement point, but Lord (lvl3) regains 6 movement. This looks like an omission (I think it breaks Wesnoth advancement rules?).

Toxic plants (the woodlander unit) have typical Loyalist names, like Owaen. 8)

Folk of the Forest is a welcome change of pace, chill and easy. Allies do all the work for you, in my game they even killed the orc and gryphon leaders.

Rain of Light: Allies are incredible on this map, the first wave of Aegaion's horde was eliminated rather efficiently by fauns and carapaces, I could barely get a hit in. The second wave was all mine though. The only wtf moment was Amphyon - I didn't notice "explosive" in this description and almost lost a hero because of that (charge + explosive = lots of pain).
There seems to be an odd interaction between Mahyus' and Akhen's recall lists. Not sure if bug, or a Wesnoth thing. At the start of this scenario, with Akhen moving toward the keep, I thought I'd tidy up Mahyus' recall list by deleting all the souless and walking dead. While doing so, every now and then I would get a warning ("this unit is high level/close to level up, do you still want to dismiss it?"). Later I noticed some of my veterans had disappeared from Akhen's recall list, as if removing recalls from one had affected the other list.

Raging Thunder: When Argatyr appears, objectives correctly change to "kill Argatyr," but upon breaking the dam, objectives switch back to "withstand the dwarves for 8 turns."
Killing Argatyr...ugh. It's practically impossible to ironman this the way it is suggested. Not only do I have to attack with Sigdral (who almost dies to counterattack alone), but I have to use the "single" attack, so if I miss it's reloadville. That's not good design. Basically Argatyr has to die the turn he's attacked by Sigdral (otherwise she just dies next turn to his banhammer), but that's impossible considering how the allies crowd the place (orcs and Vestri's dwarves surround Argatyr, but mostly refrain from attacking). So I used snake charmers. He may have "plot armor" and Shiny Hammer of Significant Asskicking +6, but he's not immune to poison. :twisted: Since he'd already murdered some orcs, I just had to trigger his first AMLA first by feeding him cannon fodder and then poisoned him. Me so clever. But it's infuriating I have to go to such lengths, you're not making it easy to ironman this campaign...
How about it's enough for Sigdral to stand next to Argatyr to strip him of his protection?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Atenak's and Nyx's advancement gets screwed up at some point, purple AMLA changes back to blue as if indicating lvl4 advancement, but they never level up or gain hit points (Atenak is stuck at 53hp, Nyx at 69hp).

Faun Soldier advancing to Captain loses 1 movement point, but Lord (lvl3) regains 6 movement. This looks like an omission (I think it breaks Wesnoth advancement rules?).

Toxic plants (the woodlander unit) have typical Loyalist names, like Owaen. 8)
I'm already aware of the problem with Nyx and Atenak; but the problem with the fauns and the plants is something I hadn't noticed before :-P
Raging Thunder: When Argatyr appears, objectives correctly change to "kill Argatyr," but upon breaking the dam, objectives switch back to "withstand the dwarves for 8 turns."
Killing Argatyr...ugh. It's practically impossible to ironman this the way it is suggested. Not only do I have to attack with Sigdral (who almost dies to counterattack alone), but I have to use the "single" attack, so if I miss it's reloadville. Sorry, that's just bad design. Basically Argatyr has to die the turn he's attacked by Sigdral (otherwise she just dies next turn to his banhammer), but that's impossible considering how the allies crowd the place (orcs and Vestri's dwarves surround Argatyr, but mostly refrain from attacking). So I used snake charmers. He may have "plot armor" and Shiny Hammer of Significant Asskicking +6, but he's not immune to poison. :twisted: Since he's already murdered some orcs, I just had to trigger his first AMLA first by feeding him cannon fodder and then poisoned him. Me so clever. But it's infuriating I have to go to such lengths, you're not making it easy to ironman this campaign...
How about it's enough for Sigdral to stand next to Argatyr to strip him of his protection?
Maybe I should let the Sowilo Rune attack break his armour's spell, then (on the grounds that the sun, at least in Norse mythology, badly affects the dwarves) and warn the player that he/she might need to kill him in 1 turn...
As for making the campaig hard... Well, I thought that, with all the Supeme Spells, Merwe's Inspire and Nyx's equally strong melee and ranged attacks, scenarios had to be more challenging than usual... :hmm:

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
lecram92

Post by lecram92 »

Yeah I started 'From Darkness" and they did appear. I'm just wondering what happened to the heroes from part II, and why they aren't in the beginning of part III. Are they gonna appear at all in part III?
And btw, you are awesome for making these! These are awesome campaigns! keep making amazing campaigns man! I'm looking forward to it! :D :D :D
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

lecram92 wrote:Yeah I started 'From Darkness" and they did appear. I'm just wondering what happened to the heroes from part II, and why they aren't in the beginning of part III. Are they gonna appear at all in part III?
And btw, you are awesome for making these! These are awesome campaigns! keep making amazing campaigns man! I'm looking forward to it! :D :D :D
Thanks very much! :-D
About the heroes not appearing: if you mean heroes such as Yukia, Affalon and Olufemi, they won't be appearing in Part III ;-)

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

I was finally able to play some more and finish it.

Fiery Souls is a pretty cool (or rather hot!) fight, but seems to have rather low early finish bonus. I started out with around 460g, spent very little (recruited only wisps and orbs) and won quickly, but still started the next scenario with 500g (I would expect 600-700g). It doesn't matter in the long run of course, just thought I'd mention it because, seriously, I have so few bugs to report...

Fires of Defiance is probably the easiest mission in the whole campaign - win in nine turns and I dragged it out to maximize experience gain, no losses. But I understand it has to be this way, because of the unusual defeat condition.

Crimson Earth doesn't end if Merwe dies, possibly leading to all sorts of bugs later.

Master of Four Lights: The (not so) final battle is crazy big, which is how it should be. :) It is also quite easy, but I'm fine with that - this is the scenario when the player goes all out with the forces gathered throughout the campaign. That said, the false dawn spell and 1000 gold for both dwarves and wargs truly make it a cakewalk - 30 steelclads could probably destroy all enemies without any help from Akhen & Co. You might want to reduce ally starting gold a bit here. The duel against Menon is an interesting test how many high-level elementals the player has available, although I suppose it's still winnable with kobold spam. I recalled so many stone titans and behemoths that it was overkill... In the (this time for realz) final fight, the apparitions never attack Menon or Akhen (something to look into?), so it's just a matter of walking up to Svarballli.

Overall, another incredible display on your part - fantastic story, multitude of new units and unusual encounters. Thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable campaign. And now I can immediately pick up the last part of the trilogy!
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

marecki wrote:I was finally able to play some more and finish it.

Fiery Souls is a pretty cool (or rather hot!) fight, but seems to have rather low early finish bonus. I started out with around 460g, spent very little (recruited only wisps and orbs) and won quickly, but still started the next scenario with 500g (I would expect 600-700g). It doesn't matter in the long run of course, just thought I'd mention it because, seriously, I have so few bugs to report...

Fires of Defiance is probably the easiest mission in the whole campaign - win in nine turns and I dragged it out to maximize experience gain, no losses. But I understand it has to be this way, because of the unusual defeat condition.

Crimson Earth doesn't end if Merwe dies, possibly leading to all sorts of bugs later.

Master of Four Lights: The (not so) final battle is crazy big, which is how it should be. :) It is also quite easy, but I'm fine with that - this is the scenario when the player goes all out with the forces gathered throughout the campaign. That said, the false dawn spell and 1000 gold for both dwarves and wargs truly make it a cakewalk - 30 steelclads could probably destroy all enemies without any help from Akhen & Co. You might want to reduce ally starting gold a bit here. The duel against Menon is an interesting test how many high-level elementals the player has available, although I suppose it's still winnable with kobold spam. I recalled so many stone titans and behemoths that it was overkill... In the (this time for realz) final fight, the apparitions never attack Menon or Akhen (something to look into?), so it's just a matter of walking up to Svarballli.

Overall, another incredible display on your part - fantastic story, multitude of new units and unusual encounters. Thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable campaign. And now I can immediately pick up the last part of the trilogy!
Crimson Earth: She should die, as her death event is in a macro together with the other heroes' deaths; I might have forgotten to place the macro there, thiugh...

Master of Four Lights: I gave that side so much gold for the case Romlur died in the previous scenario; besides, I had in mind that some of the enemies also get stronger with the Sacred Dawn, while the wargs actually get weakened by it. As for the Soul Manifestations not attacking Menon and Akhen, that's probably because they're so strong, but I can correct that by changing Svarballi's side's AI...
I'm glad you enjoyed this campaign! ^_^ Aria of the Dragon-Slayer has only its first 19 scenarios, but this week I'll have more time to develop the next arc (because in AotDS I'm working not with parts, but with arcs), so it should be done by the middle of June ;-)

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

And so I'm releasing version 0.2.0 - don't worry, you didn't miss 0.1.8 and the like, I just made a little jump in the counting because I made many little changes ;-)
I was going to upload it to the 1.12 server, but an error ocurred; probably that's because I'm using this troublesome Windows 8, but tomorrow I'll be able to use my PC and its Windows XP, so I ask those players from the 1.12 branch to wait just a little bit more ;-)
And so here goes the changelog:

Code: Select all

-Scenarios:
  - In scenarios where killed Skironian units are revived, they won't become enemy zombies if they're killed by the Nefthys Hepet
  - Spark of Violence: Erynia now only withdraws if her HP is reduced to 0
  - Foundation Stone: missing objectives corrected
  - Dark Eclipse: some changes to map
  - True Darkness: dwarves remain with the player even after Gomatol leaves the battlefield
  - Ancient Fire: reduced enemies' starting gold a bit; Mahyus may now recruit anywhere inside the circle of fire; corrected mistake which might be causing Affalon to avoid recruiting; player actually gets defeated if Mahyus is exposed before the right time
  - Blazing Hatred: reduced enemies' starting gold and income a bit
  - Cradle of Darkness: some changes to dialogue

- Units:
  - Decreased attacking power of Washrahan units a bit
  - Faun Lord now has 5 movement points
  - Corrected the bug in Nyx' and Atenak's AMLA which prevented them from advancing at certain height
  - Sigdral's Ansuz attack changed to 25-2; slight changes to her resistances
  - Transformed Argatyr's race changed to undead

;-)
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Some quick comments on bugs and semi bugs for 0.2.0

13_The_Shadows_Within_Part_II.cfg... I advanced one of my units too far south and when the event to reveal Vindalf being killed triggered, they were blocked off from the rest and disappeared. I could just reload from a previous turn but perhaps all units should not be allowed to go past where the blockage occurs?

14_Frozen_Earth_b.cfg I won accidentally when one of my Thunderbirds went to the top of the map. But only the main characters should trigger a win?

16_Burning_Ice.cfg The first time you summon a wisp, your team-mates wonder why you can summon a true elemental. Perhaps the remarks only trigger i) after Myra tells you of your power and ii) when you actually summon a non-wisp

Some of the dialogue takes place out of order if you don't trigger the events in the expected way, but i'm not sure there's a good way to solve that.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

In Ancient Fire, Affalon's name is sometimes spelled as Afalon. This causes the unit name to not match the defeat condition. Possibly other side effects.
-Voltaire
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Two more quick comments:

In immortal fire, I noted that Stygia keeps receiving reinforcements (i.e. 650 gold) even if the portal has been destroyed. But the dialogue seems to hint that the portal

Also, it seems that aquatic body (water elemental regeneration in water) doesn't seem to work. Not sure if this is a campaign problem or the era, or just a change in coding terrain.
-Voltaire
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

blacjack, thanks for pointing out the bugs, and sorry for taking so long to answer; the problem with the aquatic body ability is something related to the era War of Legends; do you use its latest version? If not, you should post about this bug in that era's topic.
BTW, I n ow realise I still haven't uploaded this campaign to the 1.12 server yet... :doh:

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok started but will not be able to finish mission 1 tonight.(short of sleep this week and need to get some shortly) The units are interesting but Hashira well someone needs to tell her she is supposed to be one of the good guys. I just got her rather ruthless order as regards the blue side.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:but Hashira well someone needs to tell her she is supposed to be one of the good guys.
Is she? ;-)

;-)