Failure to launch 1.11.16

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
rmj

Failure to launch 1.11.16

Post by rmj »

Window xp

Everything seems to be working at first. The main screen appears and the music comes on. I then choose a campaign and the opening narrative and opening dialogs appear, but when it is time to make the first move, a window error screen comes up saying that there is a problem and the program will be shut down. The music is sort of a reverb--a rapid repetition of perhaps a half second of the score. This occurs for every campaign I tried (about 5).
rmj
rmj

Re: Failure to launch 1.11.16

Post by rmj »

Are the latest releases compatible with Windows XP?
rmj
rmj

Post by rmj »

Same exact problem with 1.11.17.

What's up?
rmj
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I'm pretty sure Wesnoth is supposed to be compatible. I can't help you much because I don't have Windows, but at this point, nobody can really help you. We would need more information. What is the problem that Windows says it has? Try running from a command prompt to see if any errors pop up. Try running with "wesnoth --nosound". I don't think you can move with the keyboard, but see if you can recruit, select a unit, and end your turn with it. Move the configuration and cache directories somewhere else and let Wesnoth rebuild them. (Those directories are listed when you run from a command prompt.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You might also want to try installing to a clean alternate location just in case.
beetlenaut wrote:Try running from a command prompt to see if any errors pop up.
Since Wesnoth is built as a GUI application on Windows and doesn’t allocate its own console, this won’t really show anything at all. Players are supposed to check the stderr.txt file instead, which is located in Wesnoth’s installation directory.

As for Windows XP support in general... I don’t think we’ll explicitly drop it ourselves, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the libraries we depend upon ceases to work correctly or at all on XP at some point. You know, considering the desktop versions are not even supported by Microsoft anymore.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Post by loonycyborg »

Well, I tried booting from my winxp partition and running 1.11.18. Campaigns start and allow me to make moves without crashing. Tried Heir to The Throne and the Hammer of Thursagan.
"meh." - zookeeper