Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Is there any way I can restore Tenma's slow weapon special for her vines attack without replaying the entire campaign (up to the point you have coded) again?

I'm mainly playing for story purposes (Awesome plot so far :D )
In the Earth's Core, the ending is severely broken. Aelvar damages Kenshiro who is in the middle of the map and the scenario is kinda like an all-you-can-eat buffet for Lava Behemoths, Lava Giants, Fire Ghosts, Galis and Agnis.
The Aquatic Body issue is related to the War of Legends era; I thought Knightmare had solved this bug already, do you have the latest version of that era?
I have fixed the issues with the regenerative abilities and rebalanced the elementals in WoL. Try the latest version.

I am very intrigued with the Sogen Faction (although incomplete). Well done :D !
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Is there any way I can restore Tenma's slow weapon special for her vines attack without replaying the entire campaign (up to the point you have coded) again?

I'm mainly playing for story purposes (Awesome plot so far :D )
In the Earth's Core, the ending is severely broken. Aelvar damages Kenshiro who is in the middle of the map and the scenario is kinda like an all-you-can-eat buffet for Lava Behemoths, Lava Giants, Fire Ghosts, Galis and Agnis.
The Aquatic Body issue is related to the War of Legends era; I thought Knightmare had solved this bug already, do you have the latest version of that era?
I have fixed the issues with the regenerative abilities and rebalanced the elementals in WoL. Try the latest version.

I am very intrigued with the Sogen Faction (although incomplete). Well done :D !
If you didn't have the version which solved the problem with Tenma's slow special, then no, you'd have to replay the campaign from start. Sorry for that :-(
I'm glad that you're enjoying the plot! :-)
As for the ending of Earth's Core, well, yeah, I know it looks weird; I tried to solve it by explaining that Aelvar's mace can send shockwaves: I imagined these shockwaves causing rubble to fall on Kenshiro, but maybe I should affect surrounding units to make it look more realistic...
BTW, you did manage to play the campaign normally, right? marecki was unable to play it after downloading the last version, and I still haven't managed to even understand what was happening with him... :hmm:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

revansurik wrote: BTW, you did manage to play the campaign normally, right? marecki was unable to play it after downloading the last version, and I still haven't managed to even understand what was happening with him... :hmm:
At first the campaign didn't load due to an obsolete folder path in your _main.cfg file.

Fixed that, got screwed on the first scenario at EASY difficulty (experiemental elemental units against Spearman Spam :augh: ), got angry :evil: and debugged my way through most levels :mrgreen: .
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
revansurik wrote: BTW, you did manage to play the campaign normally, right? marecki was unable to play it after downloading the last version, and I still haven't managed to even understand what was happening with him... :hmm:
At first the campaign didn't load due to an obsolete folder path in your _main.cfg file.

Fixed that, got screwed on the first scenario at EASY difficulty (experiemental elemental units against Spearman Spam :augh: ), got angry :evil: and debugged my way through most levels :mrgreen: .
Air and Earth Spirits can crush spearmen with some ease, I think; send the Air Spirits to get villages, in trios or even duos they can, at the very least, reduce a bunch of spearmen's HP to near 0. A couple Earth Spirits are enough to deal with a smal group of spearmen, and archers flee from Fire Elementals like the plague ;-)

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, it's been a while since the last upload; I've been busy with exams and work, affected by writer's block and planning a new project, so development of the new arc was slower than I expected, but, at long last, the new stage in Tenma's journey is ready: Ancient Realms! :-P
After the catastrophe at the Heart Mountains in the Far North, Tenma and her friends, led across the ocean by Derceto, reach the city of New Maat'Kare. However, even amongst the people she led as Myra the young girl won't have peace; memories from her past life will return as she returns to the fateful continent of Netjer-Ta, as well as one of the legends who fought in those ancient days... and, while Tenma strives to fulfill her destiny as the Dragon-Slayer, Prince Aetheryon makes a discovery that may alter the course of events...

Changelog for version 0.2.0:

Code: Select all

Changelog V. 0.2.0

- Scenarios:
    - Ancient Realms arc (scenarios 27 to 34) completed

- WML:
    - When a hero unit dies by the Life Consumer special, death event is triggered

;-)
Corvus94

Post by Corvus94 »

Hi revansurik,

I just finished the latest arc, and it's looking beautiful so far. I do have some comments to make, but overall the campaign is coming along well.

The True Elementals are, as a whole, well-tuned and interesting to play. The one exception is the Air Spirit line. I realize that lore requires the new units to be exceptionally powerful, but the Air Spirits are basically B2 bombers transplanted into Wesnoth. They combine the best characteristics of scouting/harassment units (high movement, skirmisher, regeneration to allow independent operation) with excellent resistances to common damage types, versatile damage types of their own, and attacks on par with similarly-levelled mages. Even their modest health and weakness to fire are mitigated by their whirlwind attack, which allows them to engage ranged units via indirect fire and thus completely avoid damage while attacking. I actually limited myself to recruiting/recalling no more than two per scenario to avoid making things too easy. Taking the Gali as an example, I think it would be reasonable to reduce the lightning attack from 10-4 to 8-4 and the whirlwind attack from 9-4 to either 5-4 or 10-2. This should not only fix the balance issues, but solidify their role as harassment units, allowing the Fire Spirit and Sylph lines to maintain their usefulness as a principle aerial assault force. The proposed nerf to the whirlwind attack may seem harsh, but the damage has to be multiplied by the number of units it hits. In my opinion, it really shouldn't be a viable attack to use against a single enemy, otherwise you essentially have a unit that can attack up to six times per turn, doing respectable damage each time and only taking one round of retaliating hits.

Well, that rant's out of the way, so I'll give my thoughts on a few individual scenarios.

Siege of Shek'harya: Even with the extra gold you've given the southern drake leader, I had to intervene rather hastily to prevent her from dying. I feel like the southern front will be almost impossible to balance - too little gold for the drake and your flying elementals will have to go Benny Hill to save her, too much and she'll probably take out the main leader before the player does, with the difference between the two determined entirely by the RNG. Maybe it would be better to intervene more directly, like giving her very strong bodyguards, having her retreat if her health gets too low, or simply making her static and unhittable. By the way, this is a tactically beautiful scenario. I loved having the opportunity to make significant use of the water spirits, and since we're going to Arajunna next, I'm hoping there will be many more.

Stomy Shores: Given how heavily guarded the fort was stated to be, this one wasn't much of a fight. It could be because I positioned fast units just outside the outlying leaders' vision range to take them out as soon as we were detected, but I feel like that's a pretty natural thing to do in any case. I decided to send most of my forces to sneak around the mountains and attack the port from behind, but my allies had already won the battle by the time I got there. Maybe you could give the enemies reinforcements once the courtyard is penetrated or something?

Legacy of the First: Having the orcs defect if Bogor kills their leader was a pretty cool concept. Unfortunately, all the orcish/goblin leaders were dead before I got anywhere near them, and I was advancing about as fast as possible along the route I took (fighting down the east shore). I debugged the scenario afterward, and noticed that the minotaurs and undead have obscene amounts of gold. If you gave the orcs the advantage, or at least made things relatively even, players may have a better chance to experience this mechanic.

Key to the Past: The turn limit seemed very tight on this one. I completed it with four turns to spare, an oddity since I usually finished scenarios in this campaign pretty early. I think part of it is that the setting requires very conservative play in order to keep a tenable position (I figured correctly that an army of nightmares would materialize out of the unwalkable void to try and encircle me). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as turn limits are a rather underutilized source of challenge in Wesnoth, but I wanted to let you know in case this instance was unintentional. After all, there doesn't seem to be a reason why Prince Aetheryon would be in any particular hurry here.

Crimson Caves: The runic trap dialogue is helpful the first time it comes up, but Ankhmare probably shouldn't repeat the warning every time an allied unit blunders into one.

The Seer's Prophecy: Wow, Ramoses seriously gets wrecked in this one. I said earlier that I generally used only two units from the air spirit line per scenario, but the tactical situation was too delicious to ignore. On my first turn, I recalled a whole castle full of Galis, and sent them on a beeline for the unwalkable areas surrounding the central platforms, where they would be essentially invulnerable. The only elementals fast enough to hinder them would have been the Djinns, but they were (rightly) too frightened to engage. After slaughtering the couple of shadows and nightgaunts Wesir sent after them, I positioned six Galis to disable the statues simultaneously and had the rest hunt down the sparsely-concentrated Maat'Karian soldiers. Once that was accomplished, they were able to dominate the walkways between the central platforms, keeping reinforcements from moving freely so that the rest of my army could advance inward. Even with the supernovae's opposition, this battle was over in short order. I think this illustrates the ludicrousness of the Galis more than anything else, but it might be a good idea to put fire guardians or spectres on Wesir's regular recruit list, otherwise that void is entirely free game. The other thing about this scenario is the ambiguity of the objectives. I assumed that I was supposed to use Tenma's Ryujin Tenshou to kill Wesir just like the Windsong lich, thus proving her power to Ramoses. It obviously didn't work, and I ended up floundering around for a few turns before deciding to try just walking her up to the guy. I don't think that leaving the objective ambiguous adds much to the story/drama, and it's rather frustrating to fight an obviously won battle without knowing how to end it, so it might be better to just tell the player everything straight away.

I have to apologize, that was a bit longer-winded than I originally intended. All in all, this is looking to be a very memorable campaign, and I'll be looking forward to the release of the next installment.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Air Spirits - Well, I have plans on modifying them a little, and also giving some tweaks to other units etc, but only after I finish the campaign, when I'll also upload it to the new server; right now, I only have enough free time to write the story and make the scenarios ;-)

Siege of Shek'harya - I've also got some complaints on the defencelessness of both the elvish and the Baryag sides; it's a scenario I'll definitely have to give some more work...

Frosty (not Stormy ;-) ) Shores - Castelfrost was supposed to be guarded by many veteran units, but at the same time have a weakened defence, since most of Aelvar's army was away. But I'll find a way to prevent the player from killing the enemy leaders before they even recruited...

Legacy of the First - I thought I was the only one who couldn't get to the orcish/goblin leaders before the minotaurs did... :-P

Key to the Past - In fact, I had noticed that when I played it myself, seems like I forgot to increase turn limit... :oops:

Crimson Caves - He, actually I just got lazy on that one, I didn't find a way to trigger his message only once at first, and so I left it for later and ended forgetting about it, my bad :-P

The Seer's Prophecy - I trusted the Fire Ghosts to be a scourge on the Galis... :doh: I think I'll place some Lava Behemoths and Fire Ghosts guarding Ramoses instead of Medjay...
About the objectives: at first, the player was supposed to fight and wear out New Maat'Kare's forces; after Tenma's transformation, objectives change to 'move Tenma next to Ramoses'; there was never anything telling the player to kill him... Though, of course, if the Galis made the scenario so easy, player can become confused about the objectives...

And don't mind about the long feedback, I love detailed reviews on my campaigns ^_^ ^Next arc, Dreamland, will have 4 scenarios only, so it should be completed soon enough - the only thing that might delay it is a mechanism I want to implement, but which I'm not sure whether it will work...
Expect to discover some the most crucial revelations in the whole campaign in Dreamland - and, also, to discover more about the past of the High Dragons and the Avatars. ;-)

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Version 0.3.0 is out, with the four scenarios of the Dreamland arc! :-D
After becoming the prophesied Dragon-Slayer, Tenma and her friends leave Maat'Kare for the continent of Arajunna, to learn more about the possible relationship between the sword of Akashia and the mysterious ruins in the Deva Mountains. However, on their way she'll be faced by an opponent who may prove herself a match even for the Dragon-Slayer, and enter into realms unknown to learn lost secrets of a distant past...

Code: Select all

Version 0.3.0
------------------

- Scenario
      - Scenarios 35 to 38 completed

;-)
Corvus94

Post by Corvus94 »

An update? For us? How wonderful! :D

Unfortunately I'm having a spot of trouble playing it. Both loading previous saves and restarting the campaign result in the error
"Macro/file 'SPECIAL_NOTES_RADIANCE' is missing at ~add-ons/Aria_of_the_Dragon_Slayer/units/irdya-kings/Queen_in_the_Air.cfg:20 included from ~add-ons/Aria_of_the_Dragon_Slayer/_main.cfg:115"

I'm running it on Wesnoth 1.11.9, Mac OS X v10.8.2. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the campaign, as well as running it on different versions of Wesnoth 1.11. Any advice?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Corvus94 wrote:An update? For us? How wonderful! :D

Unfortunately I'm having a spot of trouble playing it. Both loading previous saves and restarting the campaign result in the error
"Macro/file 'SPECIAL_NOTES_RADIANCE' is missing at ~add-ons/Aria_of_the_Dragon_Slayer/units/irdya-kings/Queen_in_the_Air.cfg:20 included from ~add-ons/Aria_of_the_Dragon_Slayer/_main.cfg:115"

I'm running it on Wesnoth 1.11.9, Mac OS X v10.8.2. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the campaign, as well as running it on different versions of Wesnoth 1.11. Any advice?
Ah, sorry, I created an unit with an ability and forgot to write the code of the ability itself '-.-
I've uploaded a new version - 0.3.1 - with the correction for this bug, it should work normally now :-)

;-)
Corvus94

Post by Corvus94 »

Thanks for the quick fix. :)
Now I'm getting a similar error, though, this time for the Dragonslayer unit's Life Force ability.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Corvus94 wrote:Thanks for the quick fix. :)
Now I'm getting a similar error, though, this time for the Dragonslayer unit's Life Force ability.
Um, try replaying "Dawn of Another Day I"... The Life Force ability is just fine, it's not missing like Radiance; when I played Dawn of Another Day, I had a problem with the heroes not being recalled, but when I replayed the prologue (dialogue-only), this bug disappeared... :hmm:

;-)
Corvus94

Post by Corvus94 »

So far I've tried replaying from Dawn of Another Day I, Dawn of Another Day II, The Seer's Prophecy, and the beginning, deleting and reinstalling the campaign before each attempt. I'm still getting the "'ABILITY_LIFE_FORCE' is missing" error every time. Could it have something to do with me winning The Seer's Prophecy before Tenma transforms? If so, I can't imagine why the error would persist on a clean restart of the campaign...
dracostar

Post by dracostar »

I am also getting that error, except I haven't started the campaign, and when I try to load the first scenario that error message comes up.
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

I too came across the same error when loaded after replacing the testplay version with the one from server.