New poacher art?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sylar

New poacher art?

Post by Sylar »

I've made alternative graphics for poacher unit line, from poacher through trapper to the huntsman finally. I wonder if these pictures are that good so You can turn them into the mainline instead of the old ones :D
Here are they:
Image poacher
Image trapper
Image the huntsman

I've made all the basic animations also (I mean attack and defending in both types), based mostly on the loyalists archer unit, but I don't know how to put all these pictures to gif animation with different times of single sprite duration, so I just dropped it to the folder with right documentation so You can download and use it instantly from the attachment.

So, what do You think?

PS: I have'nt painted Ranger becouse I think that unit have nothing to change in graphics- it's just ideal as it is now.
Attachments
huntsman.zip
Set of animations and cfg. files for poacher, trapper and the huntsman
(244.67 KiB) Downloaded 614 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: New poacher art?

Post by Turuk »

Sylar wrote:So what do you think?
I think they look to be very well done, and can certainly be considered as a possible replacement, though someone from the art director side of the house would have to offer an actual expert opinion on the sprites/animations.

While the Ranger might not need work, the issue I see is that these three units flow as far as design and particularly color, and then Ranger seems to break that pattern.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Sylar wrote:So, what do You think?
They look like viable replacements for the present mainline ones. However, I concur with Turok's remark about the Ranger being out of the general pattern. Perhaps you can make a similar one for the Ranger and given your current capability, I'm sure you can achieve that with little or no effort :) .
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

There was also this: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... er#p560648

But these look pretty good to me, the current poacher is visually odd.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Those look pretty good to me too, but I think they are too dark. You should probably use the values from the mainline assassin for the cloak, and lighten the hair/hood as well.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Agreed on the darkness. Poachers have always seemed to be the wild frontier hunter type, not really the night-time criminal sort. Their overall appearance would probably be more like a footpad or thug's than a thief's. Black is great for hiding at night, but there are better colors for hiding in the wild while hunting. Even the Huntsman and Ranger don't wear black, so it really makes the mainline Trapper the odd one out. Otherwise, these sprites look pretty good, but there doesn't really seem to be a whole lot of change in appearance to differentiate the different levels of the unit. They seem to all be in essentially the same pose (especially the legs) and basically the same height and uniform, other than slight changes.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Sylar

Post by Sylar »

Glad to see so many replies in such a short time :)
I've noticed that many of you don't like the colours that I've used, so I decided that this is the first point that need to be explained to continue my work on that unit's tree.
I've made a collage with some varieties in the poacher's colours and I hope that the right ones are somewhere in that picture ;)
First from the top-left is the one with no changes. To the right from him we have Assassin's clothes colour, then Dark Adpet's clothes colour, then the original Poacher colour and the last one is from Ranger's colours.
In fact, I haven't used all the palette tones, because my units have usually 3 tones when normally there were about 5 tones but I've readed somewhere that if you are'nt shure, it's better to use less tones.
And is that true, that hood is also too dark? I thought it is right colour for the leather elements but I may be wrong.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, there seems to be something very wrong with their leg/hip anatomy, most notably on the trapper:
Attachments
sylartrapperlegs.png
sylartrapperlegs.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 8328 times
Sylar

Post by Sylar »

zookeeper wrote:Well, there seems to be something very wrong with their leg/hip anatomy
Sorry, but I don't get it. Maybe I'm just to weak in pixelart to notice that. In fact, many of the default units has that legs posture, e. g. skeleton units. It would be nice if You would say exactly, what is the point.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sylar wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Well, there seems to be something very wrong with their leg/hip anatomy
Sorry, but I don't get it. Maybe I'm just to weak in pixelart to notice that. In fact, many of the default units has that legs posture, e. g. skeleton units. It would be nice if You would say exactly, what is the point.
I think it's the fact that his both lower legs are completely vertical. It's a very unnatural way to stand if your feet are so much apart. I checked some mainline units for reference, such as Bowman, Spearman, Skeleton, Halberdier and current Trapper, and I think they all more clearly depict either lower leg (or both) to be at an angle.

I tried a quick crude edit to move the other foot outwards a bit to make the pose more natural, and I think it worked well enough although many details would need further adjustment:
Attachments
sylartrapperlegsedit.png
sylartrapperlegsedit.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 8275 times
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

These are nice sprites. In reference to the bottom row of your collage- I would vote no to the blue hair, since blue hair is specific to the thief unit.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Well, this was a long ago. So I am not sure the list is still alive or not. But maybe, it is nice to ask TSI before working completely, isn't it? (although I think TSI will let it go) ;) :
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... er#p413707
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

SkyOne wrote:Well, this was a long ago. So I am not sure the list is still alive or not. But maybe, it is nice to ask TSI before working completely, isn't it? (although I think TSI will let it go) ;) :
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... er#p413707
Not a problem as far as I'm concerned =)

Actual quality-wise zookeeper has good points about them, and I feel like the highlights could stand to be a few steps brighter on the black, it's kind of hard to read at present.

Don't go with the thief-colour hair, for what it's worth. That's thief-line specific.

All this being said something in the depths of my mind seems to feel like this line did get modernised way back.

See, I am still here :P
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I kind of remember a newer (than what's currently used) poacher version too, but the art development process is neither linear nor transparent, so who knows what the status is. I did find this:
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php? ... 6&p=444955

Maybe you should wait to see what Jetrel says, so you don't waste your efforts.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Sylar

Post by Sylar »

My friend from polish Wesnoth site found these versions of poacher and trapper:
So if that awesome pictures aren't in mainline yet, then I think my whole work went in vain.
BTW: Whose are these pictures? This style reminds me Zerovirus work. I may be wrong but I associated that little foot with his arts.

Edit: Written, before I noticed that doofus-01 replied.