Great Strife: How does/should it end?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Great Strife: How does/should it end?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Spending my leisure hours on working on the Un-official Timeline of Irdya, I have finally managed to implement the events of the Great Strife: the great war that shook the Silver Lands. I have read many of the forum topics and wiki pages about the Era of Strife about how it began and I have stated.

Now, the main stages of the Great Strife will be seen on Hero of Irdya (TLB's sequel) and that's where the problem arises: how does it end? There was no mention of its conclusion. Thus, I am asking all of you to suggest who should win and who should be destroyed (or, maybe reduced to a considerable extent).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
AI
Developer

Re: Great Strife: How does/should it end?

Post by AI »

That looks like it's half-based on Eastern_History, but with vastly different dates.

From memory (unfortunately, most of the actual history isn't written down, or exists only in IRC logs):
The silver drakes are destroyed, except for the ruling council, who are petrified and defeated in a later campaign.
The saurians retake Ssyuriss Fenn, after battling their way through the eventide.
Not much was decided about the fate of the eventide.
The dwarves keep triththa, and may send an expedition to reclaim mountain range around firecloud peak.
The eltireans go to war against pretty much everyone they encounter. Nothing was decided about the outcome.
The minotaurs probably survive the war, as they still have a role to play later on.

I can dig up more later if you like.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

This doesn’t really belong in Users’. Moved.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

AI wrote:That looks like it's half-based on Eastern_History, but with vastly different dates.
That is because it is. :P I read through the page and saw that it was still under construction and hence, I could implement my ideas for the timeline. I established a more appropriate story for the Eventide, still keeping their base goals the same: vengeance. I also added origin stories for the vampires, Minotaurs and Eltireans.
From memory (unfortunately, most of the actual history isn't written down, or exists only in IRC logs):
Most of the info was written on the topics for the factions, so I had no difficulty. :D
The silver drakes are destroyed, except for the ruling council, who are petrified and defeated in a later campaign.
Destroyed? Crap. :augh: (I had something cool planned for them). Anyways, they had a ruling council? I thought they were ruled over by the Fire King (as Espreon specified). Can you please provide me with more information about this conclusion?
The saurians retake Ssyuriss Fenn, after battling their way through the eventide.
The Eventide initially attack the Saurians or the dwarves? From the Eastern_History page, I speculated that the Eventide first attacked the Triththans and then moved on towards the elves.
Not much was decided about the fate of the eventide.
Since, Great Strife is now linked to TLB, it would be best if Jahin (HoI's protagonist) convinces the eventide to join him against Mor-Inal since Mor-Inal's necromancers were the ones who destroyed Noct and Diurna in the first place. How does that sound?
The dwarves keep triththa, and may send an expedition to reclaim mountain range around firecloud peak.
"May send an expedition"? Are the dwarves the ones who defeat the Silver Drakes?
The eltireans go to war against pretty much everyone they encounter. Nothing was decided about the outcome.
I thought they were just trying to defend both their Sky Cities and land-based settlements from the Silver Drakes and Minotaurs respectively.
The minotaurs probably survive the war, as they still have a role to play later on.
As for the Minotaurs, I had planned to include book II of the Lithian Codex in HoI. Jahin aids Rilend Ranorm against the heretic known as Zeal. It was mentioned that Zeal opened a portal to Urvatha: maybe I can make Lord Devan reappear for a scenario in HoI as his vendetta against Jahin was left unsettled.
Wasn't the forums and the Wesnoth Wiki the only sources of information or have I overlooked something?

Anyways, here's what I have written so far: (The last part about the vampires being trapped in a separate plane was Espreon's idea as he needed it for TSL)
Spoiler:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
Wasn't the forums and the Wesnoth Wiki the only sources of information or have I overlooked something?
Quite a bit of this has been discussed/hashed out over the years on IRC, but as noted by AI, needs to be reliably written down.
AI wrote:From memory (unfortunately, most of the actual history isn't written down, or exists only in IRC logs)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Considering the above information, I can add this to my plot:
Spoiler:
This should lead to the desired the conclusion for the Silver Drakes and now, we can focus adding the missing details. Let's leave the Eventide for last, since their story is the most complicated. Thus, next is the free Saurians. They become liberated from the dominance of the Silver Drakes and that's it, right? Or, do they clash with the Eventide?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

If you want more details:
Spoiler:
You've also misinterpreted the roles of the elemental kings (they don't go to war with each other), though they may yet be retconned out entirely.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Espreon wrote:Here is some history and other info I compiled for the Silver Drakes:

The Council of Silver is a council of six drakes which governs Silver Drake society.

How council members are chosen:

The very first council members were chosen out of the most powerful drakes. These drakes would fight to the death for a position on the council. For instance all of the most powerful Armageddon Drakes would fight to the death and the remaining Armageddon Drake would get a position on the council. Afterwards becoming a council member becomes a birthright. If a council member’s bloodline dies and if no preference for an heir is specified in a will and such, a fight-to-the-death contest will be held once more.

The Council of Silver is always composed of an Armageddon Drake, a Hurricane Drake, a Drake Warden, a Drake Enforcer, a Drake Blademaster and a Drake Flameheart.

The Council of Silver meets in a large chamber within the Fire Palace (where the Fire Monarch resides).

The last Council of Silver was never truly vanquished. During the siege of Firecloud Peak, the Saurians could not vanquish the Council of Silver and some of their elite cronies due to recently unlocked immense power. The Saurians’ greatest sage confronted the council by creating/summoning a Chimera and a few cockatrices and controlling them. The sage had the chimera and the cockatrices turn the Council of Silver and their cronies to stone. The Council of Silver and their cronies are technically still alive, but they just need to be unstoned. (Plot note, they are only to be unstoned and/or destroyed in TSL) The sage knew since he was old, that he would die after the job was done, since creating/summoning Cockatrices and/or Chimeras take an immense amount magic and energy, so he bound the cockatrices and the chimera to his life so they would die upon his death. He did this since they would not be able to be controlled after he dies... and having roaming Cockatrices/Chimeras is a very bad thing. The sage's spirit now wanders the Fire Palace to make sure that nobody tries to unstone the Council of Silver for malicious purposes.
Looks like Espreon made all the information which I need, found via search topic (@Turuk: this *is* effective). Okay, I have to make some assumptions for this and make a few edits for the timeline.
1. Silver Drakes invade both areas of marshlands: The Ssyuriss Fenn and the Bitter Swamp and draft the saurian into their military forces.
2. Some years later, the saurians rebel, leading to a revolt. That's the moment Jahin arrives. He helps the sage infiltrate the palace and we all know what happens next. Considering that Jahin would be without an ally for this series of scenarios, I am giving Jahin a new ally: Bristhti and her Windsong companions (sent by the Welkin King).
3. During battle, Jahin befriends a drake burner, Rah Ihn Maar, (instead of his legend already known, we would be exploring his ascension)
4. Silver Drakes flee (you know where)
5. Jahin's exploration of the Silver Lands continues
6. Jahin befriends Rilend Ironfist and helps him against Zeal and Lord Devan (back from the Inferno).
7. Jahin stabilises a peace between the Minotaurs and the Eltireans.
8. Jahin helps the Eltireans in reclaiming their home.

If I get no further objections to this, then we can wrap this up. Next we shall focus on the Dwarves of Triththa.
You've also misinterpreted the roles of the elemental kings (they don't go to war with each other), though they may yet be retconned out entirely.
Yeah, I think it is best to just involve one Elemental King and leave the others out of HoI.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: Looks like Espreon made all the information which I need, found via search topic (@Turuk: this *is* effective).
Glad to see my joke is spreading to other threads. :P

Thanks for doing some of the leg work and pulling all of this together into one place LK.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
johndh

Post by johndh »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: 6. Jahin befriends Rilend Ironfist and helps him against Zeal and Lord Devan (back from the Inferno).
Not to be confused with Roland Ironfist. I'm hoping this is a coincidence rather than lazy copying.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

johndh wrote:
Lord-Knightmare wrote: 6. Jahin befriends Rilend Ironfist and helps him against Zeal and Lord Devan (back from the Inferno).
Not to be confused with Roland Ironfist. I'm hoping this is a coincidence rather than lazy copying.
Quietus wrote:ImageTHE MINOTAURSImage

My my it has been a while since I started this project and it has come much further than i initially anticipated. Due to the forum crash, the last 20 or so posts have been removed, so i decided to go back and completly re-do the first page. It contains the majority of the imformation which was found on those lost posts.

History
*taken from the Era of Strife

Before Strife
-Mintoaurs used to be human
-Drought and famine cause many to die
-During drought, they found a herd of bulls producing large amounts of food
-Saved by the bulls, they worship them believing them to be a deity in mammal form
-This enraged *insert new name*, the god who created the humans
-She cursed the faction deforming their appearance
-The were to be hated by all those that looked upon them as punishment for their blasphemy
-As a means of communicating with the god, she created 3 crystals, only a minotaur king and an apostle could use the crystals
-Zeal became the first apostle sacrifising his sight to be able to see his creator through the crystals

Era Of Strife - A nation devided, book 1 of the lithian codex

-Minotaur Warlords split up land and contend against each other
-Civil War breaks out
-3 main families emerge, the Ranorm family in the south west (guardians of Lithia and the crystals), the Turan family in the north, and the Kimmor family in the east.
-War raged on, until Talok Ranorm, father of the Ranorm family was slain
-His son Rilend Ranorm took his fathers place as head of the Ranorm army, and in a massive expedition defeated the Kimmor's and the Turan's.
-In uniting the land, he was granted the title Rilend Ironfist and made the first king Lithia (the new minotaur capital city seen on the map in the south,where the Lithian codex is kept)

Era Of Strife - Ironfist, book 2 of the lithian codex

-United under one banner, the minotaurs began to expand west
-They lacked the materials and experties to cross (Lake Aoir?) north, so east was the only option.
-There they met fierce resistance from the Eltirean
-Long, expensive campaigns cost the mintotaurs, and Rilend Ironfist was forced to leave Lithia and organise attack himself
-In Rilend's abscence, Zeal became corrupt, he was able to manipulate the crystals to change the world the mintoaurs were living.
-He could summon demons from the pits of ****
-He took over Lithia and most of the mintoaur lands
-Rilend Ironfist had to abandon the Eltirean campaign east and return home to punish the heretic Zeal
-Zeal hired in mercenaries from all over the era and Ironfist had to force his way to the capital, where he confrunted Zeal and his demons
-A long battle took place and soon after Zeal was defeated.
-Ironfist knew that the crystals couldnt be kept together as they were too powerful for one apostle.
-So he split them up dividing the region into three (coincidentally divided the same was the three families had during the civil war)
-His two sons guarded the crystals and the regions.

Images for the faction can be found here

The Mintoaurs can be found in the Era Of Strife which can be found here

Gameplay
The Minotaurs are your typical melee heavy faction. They do large amounts of damage in attack, have a good amount of HP to defend, but lack ranged retaliation with most of its troops. The faction is extremly expensive with the cheapest unit being 15 gold.
It was the original faction creator's idea...

Now, the new and revised plot:
Spoiler:
BTW, where can I find a working copy of the Era of Strife? The current one in my computer is deprecated (for Wesnoth 1.6.5).
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It's on 1.8, and is being developed on wesnoth-umc-dev.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

AI wrote:It's on 1.8, and is being developed on wesnoth-umc-dev.
Thank you for the links.

Ladies and gentlemen, let me present the completed story and conclusion of the Great Strife:
Spoiler:
Speaking of the Era of Strife, I found out that the Minotaur faction is incomplete:
Quietus wrote:About the flyer/fishy problem. I cant see minotaurs having a swimmer in the faction. It would look too out of place compared to the rest of the army. But as mentioned before i was considering the idea of a Rok as a flyer. Nothing special, just a beak attack doing piercing damage and a magical lightning attack (it wouldnt be powerful, just there to deal some magic damage and stay true to the story of the Rok which was a magical flyer, much like the pheonix). But like Vendanna says,, picking out individual maps and balancing is best left till the core of the army coding and imaging is complete.
It is still lacking a unit capable of swim or flight. I think we can find a 'Roc' (spelling mistake) for the faction. Or, maybe a new swimmer unit could fill the gap?

Additionally, I find the inclusion of armored and young cuttlefish units in the Trittha faction to be surreal. Can they be replaced by the Gyrocopter and Steamcopter units (as found in the Era of Chaos)? The initial faction description states that these dwarves have more 'advanced' technology than the rest of dwarven kind:
The Triththians - Long diverged from their defensive kin, these "Hill Dwarves" have used advances in technology to build deadly siege engines capable of destroying nearly any fortification.
The other factions seem okay to me.

Finally, I would like more insight on this 'Sraal-vex' (in case if I have to introduce some edits):
Jami wrote:The Free Saurians - Decades ago the saurians broke free from the iron grip of thier dragonkin overseers. Killing many of the great bests who's magic and might had held them at bay. Now, a new creature has appeared at the edges of the great swamp of Sraal-vex, and the Saurians will not allow history to repeat itself.
Once I have finished with TLB, I can start development on HoI.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:It is still lacking a unit capable of swim or flight. I think we can find a 'Roc' (spelling mistake) for the faction. Or, maybe a new swimmer unit could fill the gap?
There's a good-looking Roc that Velensk uses in his Era of the Four Moons, it could fill the gap nicely, though with some modification to attacks.