Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
12%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 241

nimrodplanete

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by nimrodplanete »

@Arctic Wastelands: Just as I stated, this complaint is only personal. It has nothing to do with the difficulty, the enemies, snow-storms and I always appreciate to level up and collect items. I said it before and now a third time, that I just didn't like it, but this is due to my likings and that's why I never intended Dugi to shorten it. As I said: Forget that ;D

@Unit stats: Arrrr..... :doh: Sorry, I forgot this! It was just recently, that I continued to play LotI on a new computer after 3 months, where I had no time to play wesnoth at all. So, that explains it, sorry Dugi!

Again, thanks very much and concerning your next add-on... Eternity is neither as long as one does think nor something that I haven't already endured (in games) ;D
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have fixed the two bosses bug in the Gladiators scenario and modified the start of the Paradise Lost scenario to allow (and force) the player to involve more in the beginning.

I have released it as version 3.1.2 on the add-on server together with all the bug-fixes mentioned before. Sorry for the time it took, I was mostly working on my other project (but it's still an unplayable stub very far from being actually playable).
Angry_Andersen

Post by Angry_Andersen »

I love this campaign! The is really unique and quite a different experience from other Wesnoth campaigns.

Unfortunately, I've encountered a problem in the scenario "Lost In Space". The Scenario starts with only Verderber and an Elvish Archer on the map (i.e. Lethalia or any other of my units are not on the map). Verderber has a conversation with himself. After he's finished talking to himself, I'm told that I've lost the scenario...
(note: I'm using the newest versions of both Wesnoth and LotI: Wesnoth 1.11.13 / LotI: originally 3.11, just upgraded to 3.12 but the problem persists)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I wasn't changing anything for a long time in that scenario and scenarios before it and I was never told about such an error there. Furthermore, Lethalia should be normally recalled there, and that isn't something bug-prone (in the previous scenario, she is put on the recall list via a generic core macro, that should be operable as well). I suppose that the problem isn't in my campaign, it might be something with wesnoth 1.11.13 that was released only recently. However, I can't tell much from the information you've told me, only that the recall was broken. Can you please upload a save file from the beginning of the Lost in Space scenario and a save file from the end of the Library scenario? It might give me more insight about what's going on.

EDIT: After receiving the save files and studying the problem a bit deeper, I am more and more sure that it's a problem with version 1.11.13, related to its core C++ code rather than lua or WML.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

After looking more into advancements, the Lich King unit should also have a female unit name (as you can acquire female Lich King by advancing a female dark sorceress into lich and then lich king) but this variant shouldn't be available by default
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I don't know how you see it, but I refer to skeletons as 'he' regardless of gender. I am no anthropologist and I can't tell the gender of a skeleton according to the sizes and shapes of some bones. Voices we usually give to skeletons are either guttural growls or guttural shrieks, where in both cases the gender can't be determined. Skeletons' brood can't come from uterus because they don't have it. I am not getting why a lich from a necromanceress shouldn't be referred to as 'he'.

If something was named 'Lich Queen', I'd imagine it as something half-ghostly or at least partially fleshy so that it would be possible to tell that it is a female.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Dugi wrote: EDIT: After receiving the save files and studying the problem a bit deeper, I am more and more sure that it's a problem with version 1.11.13, related to its core C++ code rather than lua or WML.
Hi Dugi,

mattsc pointed out this post to me, and also one of SkyOne's -- we think that both of these issues are related to some changes in 1.11.12. I posted a bunch of stuff about what we think the issue is in the other thread, it all applies equally well to you, but I don't want to copy paste it all here so here's a link: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 42#p570042

Just FYI,
iceiceice
plamentg

Post by plamentg »

Not sure whether this is a bug or intended behaviour, but the following thing happened to me recently:
Win condition: kill all enemy leaders.
Situation: by the end of my turn only one enemy leader stands, with a couple of HP, poisoned/infected.
What happens next: enemy turn starts, the leader dies (turning into a zombie), but his other units continue to fight. When my next turn comes I am victorious.
Comment: If I had killed the leader within my earlier turn I would have won precisely at the moment he had fallen. Not a big deal anyway.
Btw, figured out how to get trait descriptions for iOS - "pressing" on the word on the right panel brings it.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Dugi wrote:I don't know how you see it, but I refer to skeletons as 'he' regardless of gender. I am no anthropologist and I can't tell the gender of a skeleton according to the sizes and shapes of some bones. Voices we usually give to skeletons are either guttural growls or guttural shrieks, where in both cases the gender can't be determined. Skeletons' brood can't come from uterus because they don't have it. I am not getting why a lich from a necromanceress shouldn't be referred to as 'he'.

If something was named 'Lich Queen', I'd imagine it as something half-ghostly or at least partially fleshy so that it would be possible to tell that it is a female.
When a Dark Sorceress advances into Lich, the game retains the gender of the unit, so female strings are used for describing race and traits. So a female name "Lich Queen" should do the trick (the female variant shouldn't be available by default but it looks quite "ugly" when staring at female "Lich King")
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@plamentg
I think that when the last enemy leader dies because of an event and the game doesn't notice it, it is rather a bug in the game. I'll report it.
Thanks for the information how to reveal that panel on touch screen devices, I'll tell it to the guy who'll ask about it next.

@Battlecruiser_Venca
I know, and I don't see any code-related problem there. But it's hard to imagine a heavily armoured skeleton being called 'Queen'. As far as I know, english language prefers to call monsters 'he' regardless of actual gender, unless it is important or very visible (you refer to any serpent as 'he', no?). And the origin of the skeleton that doesn't affect its appearance nor properties, so it is neither important nor visible.
Just for Battlecruiser_Venca (related to the way translations deal with it):
Battlecruiser_Venca

Hm, the game engine doesn't preserve gender when plauging, but does when andvancing. All the undead should be "genderless" as they're something remotely-controlled by a necromancer (something like regular zerg in starcraft). So Liches are the exception because the original necromancer from they came is the one who controls it thus is identyfiyng itself as male or female (note your preserved liches)
xuanquang

Post by xuanquang »

Hi Dugi,

I've played LotI for 5 months. In general, this is an excellent campaign, I love it a lot. However, I have some questions like these:
1. Exterminator, shadowwalker, shadowprince use the same portrait, and many new units still use the portraits of their pre-upgrading ones. It's very disappointed to see a female warlock have the picture of a mustached man. Will you deal with this?
2. Many new orcish units appear, but I never meet them in game. (Maybe because I have not played chapter 10 yet)
3. Another disappointment when merman, naga, lizard, drake do not enjoy the army of Efraim as well as dont have new units. I want to see all races of Earth unite together to fight against demon.
4. When I use some items that change the damage type, the ability "suck x healths ..." no longer works.
5. Ability "retribution" still kills enemy, and when I kill enemies under the effect of "cleave", no exp gain from the secondary one. I think this also happens with "pierce".
6. My favorite item "soul eclipse" changed from +8 damage to -4, and I never collect enough gems to craft a "dugi wraith".
7. In several upgrade path of Lethalia ( arctic blast, fire blast, entropy, etc), which can be used when defending?
8. Efraim is powerful and immortal in combat, so I often let him go alone. He kills about 80% enemies in each scenario, but in some big maps like "jungle hell", "arctic wasteland", etc, the computer takes minutes to decide to attack him per turn.
plamentg

Post by plamentg »

As for item 5: cleave, whirlwind, pierce, all area effect spells might kill more than one unit, but you only get the experience for the primary target. This was done for balancing reasons. Otherwise these attacks would be too poweful and the campaign is very difficult to balance anyway.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@Battlecruiser_Venca
My point wasn't that undead should be genderless, just that things whose gender can't be determined and can't breed anyway shouldn't distinguish between male and female. Liches for example don't have male or female forms, so that a lich coming from a female necromancer can't have even a female unit name in translations.

@xuanquang
1. It's a bug that female warlock has a male portrait, I didn't realise that. For other units, it's mostly the problem that I am not very good at making portraits. The guy who drew the portraits for some protagonists left these forums after some time and spend months to make a portrait. The worse of the custom portraits were drawn by me, but it's clearly far worse than the usual portraits.
2. Chapter 10 is the time when you play with orcs.
3. Mermen would be useless most of the game because there isn't much water. Nagas mostly too. I find drakes and lizards extremely hard to draw because of their non-humanoid form. And most of all, I had no ideas what should they advance to, bigger and stronger isn't the solution I like, because it's boring.
4. The life sucking modifier works only with physical damage, that is blade, impact and pierce. Maybe I should change it?
5. Thanks plamentg for the reply, it's exactly what I think.
6. Soul eclipse was probably too good and I weakened it in some update. Dugi's wrath is almost unobtainable on purpose, you can obtain it by repeatingly massacring some chapter 9 areas, but it was meant to be a fancy thing that you won't obtain.
7. Entropy can be used for defending, others can't. An attack with a massive area of effect used in retaliation would be overpowered.
8. That won't happen on hard difficulty. The items are much less powerful on higher difficulties. You are obviously that kind of guy who thinks about advancements and equipment, and easy difficulty is rather for those who aren't very familiar with it or just put any items they find of units quickly and play.

I hope my replies satisfied your questions, but feel no shame to ask more.

@plamentg
Thanks.
xuanquang

Post by xuanquang »

Hi Dugi,

About the damage type and suck health problem, I think that you should make it suckable when the damage type is changed. Because as an item in game, I don't remember exactly its name, a ring which changes damage type to arcane, add 1 more attack, and suck 1 health per hit. So if the arcane damage can't suck health, it's unreasonable to put "suck health" and "set damage type to arcane" in the same item.

And about my last problem, I attach a save game which I played with hard difficulty. You can see how long the computer take to finish the AI's turns when I let Efraim alone face to dozen of enemies.
Attachments
LotI2-Arctic_Wastelands_Turn_1.gz
(383.43 KiB) Downloaded 205 times