My proposal for the undead

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Idea is?

Okay
18%
Needs work (add suggestion)
27%
Bad for game (list reason why)
55%
Great
No votes

Total votes: 11

Shade

The first thing I'm going when I get back

Post by Shade »

The first thing I'm going to do when I get back is tone the wraith down a bit... I believe I have tha approval to do so... So by Saturday he'll have a bit of a revision (less resistace, with slightly more HP) I've accumulated a TODO :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Awkward Syntax

Post by Awkward Syntax »

That doesn't make an ounce of difference when the Wraith never loses HP in a single combat anyway.
True.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

I find it odd that people keep suggesting upgrades for the Undead. Upgrading one of the strongest factions even more doesn't make sense to me. EP may be a bit strident in advocating the Undead, but is right: the Undead are probably one of the strongest factions right now. I think people who doubt this should play The Dark Hordes campaign on Hard, to really get a feel for how to use the various units against a non-sloppy opponent (excepting the Ghoul which isn't available for recruiting in TDH). Playing blitz multiplayer games is not the way to get a feel for the potential of a set of units, not until most of your opponents are experts.

As far as I'm concerned, the Wraith and Walking Corpse are both overpowered as of 0.8.8. I don't think Ghouls need more fiddling with (WINRL). The removal of ZOC from WCs post 0.8.8 may shift the balance slightly, but I'm still very happy with the Undead as is. It's not a faction that one can play "out of the box" but once one discovers how to handle the various units it is a powerful faction.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

ott wrote:I don't think Ghouls need more fiddling with (WINRL).
Ghouls poison. They kill Trolls. They kill basically everything the Dark Adept does, but when used in concert, Ghouls and Dark Adepts are very deadly, deadlier than most other armies. (The two are even more powerful when backed up with the invincible Ghosts, which may even level up into wr**ths.)

I suggest that the undeadspirit movetype have its resistance shifted to 40% against the three basic damage types, since low values tend to unbalance Wesnoth. (taking 40% damage, costing 5 gold, and costing 0 upkeep have all led to balance issues.) If its HP is increased to match, it will still fulfil the original purpose of letting them recuperate faster, without quite so much overpoweredness.

I'd like the Ghosts to be worth their cost eventually.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Elvish Pillager wrote: I suggest that the undeadspirit movetype have its resistance shifted to 40% against the three basic damage types, since low values tend to unbalance Wesnoth. (taking 40% damage, costing 5 gold, and costing 0 upkeep have all led to balance issues.) If its HP is increased to match, it will still fulfil the original purpose of letting them recuperate faster, without quite so much overpoweredness.
I suggested the (exact) same thing on the developer mailing list. This is still an option but what was talked about if just doing the 40% thing for the wraith (& Upgrade), with only a 10% upgrade in HP. The only 10% upgrade in HP is a bit unfair since it loses 20% in resistances but drain is undervalued & it would help close the gap with the Shadow (& it's upgrade).
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages