World Conquest II

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tekelili

Re: World Conquest tek

Post by tekelili »

@iceiceice: For solve I mean use disallow_undo (that I think will be available in BfW 1.12, maybe I am wrong). As you can uderstand, I am not interested in players can undo recruits after see if they got trainings beneficts ;)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

@tekelili: I realize that I misspoke when I reported the bug -- its not "undo a recruit", what it actually is that causes the OOS is if you enter planning mode, and plan a recruit, then cancel the planned recruit. Ideally this should be permitted but what happens I guess is that your WML events fire on the planned thing but don't recognize the unplanning step, and if you actually do recruit then your allies become out of sync, as they don't see the planned step. So for example, suppose I have the faction where Orcish Archer is paired with Drake Burner. If I go into planning mode and plan a recruit of orcish archer, then I will see that I am then permitted to plan a recruit of drake burner. However, when I undo a recruit, the system doesn't get updated. So I can undo the planned orcish archer and instead recruit a drake burner. My allies don't see the planning mode step, so I guess OOS happens for this reason. I discovered this by accident the hard way.

I'm not sure if disallow_undo would actually fix this... most likely it won't change it.

But anyways I request that you take pity on me and do not use [disallow_undo], as if I cannot undo my accidental misclicks they will be extremely frustrating and your scenarios are already hard enough :lol: if you say that you are not interested in players who undo recruits, I don't think [disallow_undo] will stop them, assuming they are save-loading or something. I think normally you cannot undo recruits anyways for the reason you say? Anyways i think all that this might do is protect those players from OOS.

I think maybe you should just add a note to your scenario warning players not to recruit while in planning mode? That should be fine, its not really a necessary feature anyways.

Edit:
@tekelili: It occurs to me that one way you could make it hard for save-loaders is if you use the lua features documented here to write a lua script that runs whenever the scenario is loaded, and checks if the turn is not turn 1, if so it ends the scenario in defeat. Or even, check if they have any nonleader nonloyals. So that players are only allowed to load from a start of scenario save pretty much.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

After test new factions a little, I understood they are most likely already balanced. So to no waste time until reach that conclusion, in 0.4.7.1 I have added a new faction more "troublesome" (loyalists-orcs): The Hand.
Testing in progress :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Version 0.4.8 uploaded
- Redefined difficulty levels
- Added new faction: The Militia

I wasnt agree with old difficulty levels definitions. Only factor was AI gold with these settings:
Nightmare
- AI bonus gold factor 9
Grand Marshal
- AI bonus gold factor 8
General
- AI bonus gold factor 7
Lieutenant
- AI bonus gold factor 6
Sergeant
- AI bonus gold factor 5
Peasant
- AI bonus gold factor 4

My concerns were two: Base difficulty only in AI gold spoils players fun at lower levels and disrupt balance at last map due to lack of xp stacking and fact that gold factor reduces AI recruits instead recalls.
I have redefined difficulty levels in a way will (hopefully) allow more players enjoy campaign with big battles without live a "nighmare". I hope I it works, but as I have not intended play those mods, feedback is very welcome ;)
New difficulty levels:
World Conquest II
tadpol

Re: World Conquest tek (aka World Conquest II)

Post by tadpol »

Would it be possible to show replacement recuits when recruting?
I haven't learned all the replacements and it's a little frustrating when I'm trying to recruit a specific unit and I guess the wrong replacement unit for it.

Also is there a rule for how you picked what replaces what?
Some replace units with a very similar unit, and some seem more designed to make it difficult to form a consistant style.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

tadpol wrote:Would it be possible to show replacement recuits when recruting?
I haven't learned all the replacements and it's a little frustrating when I'm trying to recruit a specific unit and I guess the wrong replacement unit for it.

Also is there a rule for how you picked what replaces what?
Some replace units with a very similar unit, and some seem more designed to make it difficult to form a consistant style.
tekelili wrote:Players have a right-click option to remember them pairs of recruit list.
You are right in your analisys of pairs, they use to follow a pattern, but they are used also as balance tool and some factions have weird pairs to disturb or help them (usually darves need be f***ed :whistle: )
World Conquest II
SatHyre

Post by SatHyre »

hello,

love this version. more challeging. thanks for the game.

i think it's a bug. i am side 1, and if i dont recruit at turn 1 and let side 2 choosing the level, there is no sign of the level choosing.

and how many gold the AI has if nobody doesnt recruit at turn 1?
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Hi SatHyre, thanks for encouraging words and bug report :)
I am not able to reproduce that bug at current version 0.4.9.2 May be I had a displaying bug in a previous version and I fixed it (although I dont remember it); or may be you was expecting difficulty level be displayed in a different place from objectives? (only playe where is displayed in WC II). Let me know if you can reproduce this bug in 0.4.9.2 version and I will look again.

If players dont chose difficulty level, AI starts with 300 gold, and more gold is added in the very moment difficulty is chosen. I must admit there is an improbable bug I didnt care to fix: If players manage to beat AI at map 1 without recruit, then campaign is played withouth difficulty... but I would like to see how players manage to do it :lol:
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Version 0.4.9.4 uploaded: Due to code reorganization I did a silly change in era folder, and may cause unkown era to older versions, sorry for inconvences, I should try dont do it often :oops:

This version has big menu "decoration" changes. It also use team colors for single player messages, hope you like the new look :)

It has a WoCopedia inside "tell me how my recuit works" menu. Veteran players may think is a little useless, but it is targeted to help them... For me is quite tiresome answer lot of time the same questions to new players; with WoCopedia veteran players can reduce "noob questions about items" to just 1 for game after answer: "Use right click and consulte WoCopedia" 8)

As always, feedback is welcome if info or menus need improvement.
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I had to take a difficult deccision: Custom terrains to allow decoraive village destruction were giving error to users without add on installed. I hate have to remove this feature, as is a little detail I enjoy when I play and it took me quite work to develope; but is also making add on "buggy" in the sense that I also invested quite work in make it compatible for everybody and have inconsistece with require_era=no (users without era can join game, but wont be able after reload).

So in version 0.4.9.5 this feature is removed by default. However I included a config file inside folder to enable it again. Users willing do this, just have to write "yes" instead "no" under ENABLED_VILLAGE_DESTRUCTION. Doing this, user will be also setting require_era=yes to avoid users withouth add on joining a game they cant continue after reload. (Note that this can be a good filter to avoid noobs join game and leave at turn 3 :whistle: )

I hope this is just a temporal solution until I find out a better way to solve it :(

Edit: Due to different use propose of translated version, decorative destruction will be enabled and require_era=yes as default configuration.
Last edited by tekelili on May 7th, 2014, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Version 0.5 uploaded in 1.10 add on server
Its main change is a blance mini boost to The Militia, redifining recruiting pairs. It is probably still the most "disrupted recruit" of all factions, and I think deserves it due to have monster units in WC as Dwarvish Fighter and Elvish Shaman, but I tried to reorgaize their support units in a way they can be recruited more effectively.

I can not swear it, but this version has chances of being the last one for BfW 1.10. Testing WC takes a lot of time, and I will probably wait to 1.12 before add or change anymore. It has been a quite intensive work so far, and would like enjoy my rest... so a little wish: Post feedback, questions, demands or ideas here makes me happy :) ; make me demands, questions or give ideas in multiplayer server makes me unhappy :annoyed:

EDIT: I have found and solved the Direwolf Wolves as recruit bug in 0.5.0.1 It was totally and my bad and I apologiza for those users I made clean cache suggesting was "their fault" :oops:
World Conquest II
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

First off, I would like to thank you for all the incredible work you've done on World Conquest. Since the original World Conquest, I've seen lots of alterations to it (I've even made my own), but most of them seem unbalanced. Too hard, too easy, or sometimes they just don't "feel" right. But the terrain, items and play balance on this version just feel natural.

I actually didn't like the alternating recruit idea at first, it seemed to make the game unnaturally hobbled, but after I got into it it didn't matter so much. I also like the training system, and I especially like the ability to build combinations of abilities that act together to make units very powerful.

There is two things I would suggest changing. The first is that for some factions it is hard to get healers. It is mostly a problem in the first scenario, and with some factions more than others. When a player has 125 gold, and they have to buy a Dwarvish Ulfserker, and then a Mage, they have spent 1/3rd of their gold, and then they have to level the Mage. It is especially hard in the first scenario, where a player needs enough front line, basic units to survive, and they can't defend the speciality units and get them leveled.

The other thing I would like to see added back is Map 5. I never found Map 5 (in either the cave or water variants) "too easy". I did find it easier than Map 4 or 6, but I have also got wiped out on Map 5 plenty of times. But mostly I like it because it is a variation from what we have seen. There is a lot more variation in how the terrain works in the water and cave maps, so the problems are more unique. If either the cave or water maps are too easy, there are ways to make them more challenging: there are unused cave and water units that the enemy could recruit (naga hunter, sea serpent, scorpion, troll shaman), or water/cave training could be added to the enemies.

Anyway, I hope these suggestions don't derail from the fact that I really like your version of WC. Good luck on everything! :D
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

@Glowing Fish: Thanks for your feedback, it is now know the outcome is apreciated after so many effort and care in little details :)
Balance is still undertest and I can not assure The Alliance is kk... but they look a pretty strong faction that having a weak early game, pays off with and awesome late game ;)
Nothing as old cave or archipielago maps will be added, but in future is very possible I add more map variants with slighty references to those ones.

Version 0.5.1 uploaded: I have created separated campaigns for 2 and 1 players, with a resize of maps, that hopefully helps to solve carryover and village control imbalances those mods had in classic WC. They are totally untested, and I dont expect they are in anyway as balaced as 3p campaign is right now. But I hope this primitive version helps to gather some feedback and try improve them. Now that 3p has a balance changes freeze looked good moment.
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Version 0.5.4 uploaded in BfW 1.11 add on server. Development in 1.10 is abandoned and will continue in 1.11 and 1.12

1.11 has been quite depured right now. The only bug that anoyed a little my gameplay was I had to rightclick my unit to "unselect" it if discovered enemies in fog.
1.11 has a severe bug in multiplayer campaigns with random map generation and campaign is not playable in multiplayer server (players get oos at map2). It can played in 1p mode I guess :cry:

Some coments in new features and changes:
- Players can now change their team colors in scenario 1 and camapign will handle it giving expected results, as enemies dont having same team color and selection be permanent for whole campaign .
- Players can right click on an item image to read again artifact description.
- Translated version has beem integrated as config option.
- The Hand has been greatly buffed.
- Era code has been redefined to allow more easy additions and maintenance. I will probably add later a double post with a complete example to add a new faction.
Last edited by tekelili on June 19th, 2014, 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Brief Guide to Faction Creation
(Writed for WC II v0.5.4)

As I expect some players willing to experiment with new factions, and I probably wont add them due to balance and time consuming issues, here is a short example to add a new faction to WC II era.

As Nanroig asked me lot of times for them, I will crate a Knalgans-Northerens factions. For the example proposes, faction will be called "The Republic"

- First I need create a faction file. The Republic has darves, I just copy-pasted in my desktop Word_Conquest_II/utils/era/alliance. cfg and renamed file as republic.cfg

- Next step: Rename macros and ids. I just used my editor replace tool (case sensitive), to replace ALLIANCE for REPUBLIC and Alliance for Republic. However, the macro {STR_REPUBLIC} is still not defined, and I replaced it for "The Republic" (other option was define macro inside ../utils/strings/era.cfg but I took the easy way for example)

- Third: Change leaders. 3 strings have to changed, random_leaders= inside [multiplayer_side] and {RANDOM_LEADERS_REPUBLIC}, {RANDOM_LEADERS_NAMES_REPUBLIC} (last one is just for translation in WoCopedia propose).
Values are pretty self explanatory, I just opened file with The Gang faction, and copy pasted orc leaders over loyalists ones.

- Create an image for faction: It just involves edit macro {IMG_REPUBLIC}. I wont explain ImagePathFunction details here (see wiki). For this case, I chosed Troll and Thunderguard images, and adjusted cordenates and team colors to era patterns.

- Create Faction recruit pairs: It just involves edit all macros {WC_II_PAIR ... ...}
Valid values are defined inside ../era/units_info but as we already have default era defined dont have to take care of this. I opened again gang.cfg and copy-pasted orc units over loyalists units.

- Last touch to Faction: Change hero lists. These fileds are a little tricky, as their meaning and valid values are defined inside ../heroes.cfg. As all the values I want use are already defined, it is just a "copy paste task" (if I needed new values, it would be more complicated and involves common WML understanding). I chosed for faction, hero lists not repreated with my era. Fields I changed were

Code: Select all

commanders=Knalgans,Northerens
        heroes=Rebels,Loyalists,Young_Ogre
        deserters=Undead,Drakes,Young_Ogre
I attach the file so all changes can be seen there, and Nanroig can download the file (good luck with them :P )
#Edited: Fixed commanders wrong value, that I forgot change.#

Now that faction is created, we just need tell it to era as last step to have it available for play. Two macros have to be copy pasted in other 2 files:
- Edit Worl_Conquest_II/utils/era/utils. cfg (see code)

#define WORLD_CONQUEST_II_ERA_VARIABLES
[set_variables]
    name=wct.era
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_HORDE}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_ALLIANCE}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_GUILD}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_TRUST}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_GANG}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_CULT}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_MILITIA}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_SCOURGE}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_HAND}
    {FACTION_VARIABLE_THE_REPUBLIC} # I copy pasted this line
[/set_variables]
#enddef
-Edit Worl_Conquest_II/_main.cfg (see code)

{MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_RANDOM_WC_II}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_HORDE}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_ALLIANCE}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_GUILD}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_TRUST}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_GANG}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_CULT}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_MILITIA}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_SCOURGE}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_HAND}
        {MULTIPLAYER_SIDE_THE_REPUBLIC} # I copy pasted this line
Attachments
republic.cfg
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
World Conquest II