SHORTEST CAMPAIGN EVER: The Final Exam

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elven

SHORTEST CAMPAIGN EVER: The Final Exam

Post by Elven »

Hello boys and girls!

I created a very short campaign. Only 2 scenarios. I wish to do a short campaign, that can be:

1) easy to play even for a beginner in Wesnoth
2) easy to modify
3) easy to translate
4) easy to download (not much KBs)

Story is very simple. Young mage Erika (yeah, female) just finished her magic studies. Only one test of her skills is needed - to collect an artifact, one book from a cave.

I wish this to become a community campaign - so all files included .pbl will be public.

Is here someone, who will do it with me?

Scenario 1: Erika must go into the tunnels, but some orcs headed this way. So a small fight will be...
Scenario 2: Erika must obtain a book

Campaign is now playable, you can download it from the addon server. Sources can be found when downloading it. Here is also PBL file:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

type=campaign

icon="units/human-magi/mage+female-attack-magic2.png~RC(magenta>green)"

title="The Final Exam"

version="0.1.1"

author="Hoferek, Bur"

description="A young mage Erika must find a magic book to become a true mage.

(2 scenarios, for beginners)

This campaign is aimed to be:
- easy to play
- easy to modify
- easy to translate"

translate=yes
translatable=yes

email="shoferek@gmail.com"

passphrase="email me for passphrase if you are one of the core developers"
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
docrock

Re: SHORTEST CAMPAIGN EVER: The Final Exam

Post by docrock »

second scenario, "we found 25 gold coins" but the gold is not added
also: that cave does have time of day?
oh, yes, btw: it IS very short :lol2:
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Elven

Post by Elven »

docrock wrote:second scenario, "we found 25 gold coins" but the gold is not added
also: that cave does have time of day?
oh, yes, btw: it IS very short :lol2:
time of day? it is set to underground. i will look at it. and i will look at the gold, too :)
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
Elven

Post by Elven »

wow :) i recently found this, after years :)

well, right now the final exam is completed, with 4 scenarios and a lot of changes, fully compatible with 1.12 and ready for translators :)
Last edited by Elven on March 17th, 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Just a note; the "easy to modify/campaign skeleton for beginners" task is taken over by "A simple campaign", which contains even explanations for most of the wml code, and serves no other purpose at all.
I would like to see other addon authors not creating addons with this job in mind, it might be counterproductive. A Simple Campaign is on the wesnoth-umc-dev repository and open for any improvements.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Elven

Post by Elven »

Anonymissimus wrote:Just a note; the "easy to modify/campaign skeleton for beginners" task is taken over by "A simple campaign", which contains even explanations for most of the wml code, and serves no other purpose at all.
I would like to see other addon authors not creating addons with this job in mind, it might be counterproductive. A Simple Campaign is on the wesnoth-umc-dev repository and open for any improvements.
of course i know a simple campaign and i have no idea, what was first. i really do not know. Final Exam is very old and it have a lot of comments, examples etc. But now it is not only a tutorial, but also a campaign - interesting on hard difficulty :)
TreefeedXavier

Post by TreefeedXavier »

Now, translated to Russian.
Attachments
wesnoth-The_final_exam.zip
(15.66 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Russian translation of UMC`s for you, including: A_Rough_Life, Ooze-Mini, The White Troll, Inky's Quest & many others. If you find any translation errors in UMC - contact me.
Elven

Post by Elven »

TreefeedXavier wrote:Now, translated to Russian.
many thanks :) btw if you have time, looking for russian translator for this brutally short campaign: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40141
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Hello, Elven. I yesterday downloaded your campaign. I like that its main character is an young woman, we have way to many campaigns with male protagonists. Today I have got some time to try it out. I have chosen to play it on easy diffuculty level and managed to win the first scenario with a loss of just one bowman (and some save-loading). I found it quite good. Just a few comments so far: where did I get a loyal bowman and how it came that I can recruit some spearmen and bowmen? I have read everything (in game) carefully but I have not find any clue. (For the loyal bowman I got an idea after reading his death speach but I think that it is too late.) You could tell something about them either in the introduction and/or the starting dialogue. Also I found one issue at the start of second scenario. When I choose to hire someone I cannot see them, it almost seemed that I threw away my gold. After looking to scenario file I found out who I have got. Is this intended? If not, you should either move them closer to player after they appear or clear the shroud around them. In any case, I think that they could introduce themselves. I will post more when and if I proceed.
Elven

Post by Elven »

James_The_Invisible wrote:Hello, Elven. I yesterday downloaded your campaign. I like that its main character is an young woman, we have way to many campaigns with male protagonists. Today I have got some time to try it out. I have chosen to play it on easy diffuculty level and managed to win the first scenario with a loss of just one bowman (and some save-loading). I found it quite good. Just a few comments so far: where did I get a loyal bowman and how it came that I can recruit some spearmen and bowmen? I have read everything (in game) carefully but I have not find any clue. (For the loyal bowman I got an idea after reading his death speach but I think that it is too late.) You could tell something about them either in the introduction and/or the starting dialogue. Also I found one issue at the start of second scenario. When I choose to hire someone I cannot see them, it almost seemed that I threw away my gold. After looking to scenario file I found out who I have got. Is this intended? If not, you should either move them closer to player after they appear or clear the shroud around them. In any case, I think that they could introduce themselves. I will post more when and if I proceed.
Hi James, i am very grateful for your comments :) heavy infandryman from scen 2 are still from the very first version of the campaign, when it was a minimalist campaign. Sure, I can make it a bit better now and i will do it :) About Johnny... well, he is a loyal unit, because he does not want any gold from Erika. He simply likes/loves her. I can add some sentences about recruiting as well... btw if you have an image of a silver mage, try to upgrade Jessin (or maybe Erika) to silver mage, it will be a good idea for the last scenario. Damn, that was a spoiler! :)
James_The_Invisible

Just completed second scenario. I liked it but after hiring the two heavy infrantymen I had enough gold to recall just 3 units. Also when fighting the trolls I lost one spearman and heavy infrantyman but it may be because I divided my units (in order to explore the cave quickly). I managed to find the book at turn 10 but I killed only 1 troll whelp of 3. I liked this map, I felt a bit like in a labyrinth :). I am joining replays from both scenarios in case that you are interested in how I played them.
Attachments
TFE-2-Cave_záznam.gz
(11.86 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
TFE-1-Village_záznam.gz
(12.06 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
Elven

Post by Elven »

James_The_Invisible wrote:Just completed second scenario. I liked it but after hiring the two heavy infrantymen I had enough gold to recall just 3 units. Also when fighting the trolls I lost one spearman and heavy infrantyman but it may be because I divided my units (in order to explore the cave quickly). I managed to find the book at turn 10 but I killed only 1 troll whelp of 3. I liked this map, I felt a bit like in a labyrinth :). I am joining replays from both scenarios in case that you are interested in how I played them.
záznam? slovak/czech player? :)
James_The_Invisible

Yes, I am from Czech republic :).
Elven

Post by Elven »

James_The_Invisible wrote:Yes, I am from Czech republic :).
hezky zdravím :) osobně jsem ze slovenska a tak je má čeština dost nedokonalá. prosím tě, mohl bys omrknout na gettextu unite the clans český překlad? nevím, jestli je ta čeština ok :)
James_The_Invisible

Just tried out third scenario. I find it interesting and challenging at the same time. The goal of this mission is quite unusual. I think that I have never seen it before. The fight is also good, especially with the 2 twists that I have discovered so far. The bridge and later placed shroud. But what happend to that bridge and who repaired it? I did not find any explanation. Also, who is that fencer that I have got? Why is he helping me? You could add some dialogue that I can recruit mages because I was a bit suprised that I am able to do so. I felt once again that I have too less gold at the start at this scenario. When I looked to scenario files I found out that you give no more gold to the player after first scenario. Is this intended? Due to low resources I am not able to complete this scenario. Well, I could win by leveling up Erika to a white mage but I wanted her to be a red mage. Well, I will probably later start the campaign again and try to get more experiences for my units in the previous scenario.
I hope that you do not mind me posting me my comments for each scenario in a separate post :).

Edit: So, I did again second scenario. Now, with knowledge of position of the book and trolls, this scenario was pretty easy for me. I leveled up one spearman to swordsman, Erika to red mage and next spearman was half-way to next level. Though I still lost one heavy infrantyman. With these units third scenario was much easier than before. But it was the elves who killed one enemy leader and besieged the second one. They seem to be strong enough to handle the orcs at their own, at least on easy. Anyhow, thanks to this, I could get to elves' leader with most of my units very close to death. But I made it at turn 19. I think that you could give a few more turns for this scenario. But after completing this scenario I got error about invalid tile "Gg^Edb" in the last scenario. I am playing this campaign on 1.11.4 if that matters.

Joining replays from this walk through. But the one from second scenario makes my Wesnoth crash (both 1.11.4 and 1.11.11).
Details of the crash:
Attachments
TFE-3-Poison_záznam.gz
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
TFE-2-Cave_záznam.gz
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 578 times