PickYourRecruits

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

PickYourRecruits

Post by zookeeper »

Succeeding the older PickYourRecruits Era, PickYourRecruits is a multiplayer modification where each player chooses their own recruit list on the first turn, from all the recruitable units available in the selected era. Thanks to the multiplayer modifications feature, PYR can now be played using any era, instead of being tied to a predefined one.

Version 0.9.0 can be found on the 1.12 add-on server and is compatible with Wesnoth 1.11.10.

Instructions: in the multiplayer Create Game screen, activate the PickYourRecruits modification, and then in the following Configure Game screen set the number of unit types each player should be able to pick using the "Unit limit" slider. In the Game Lobby, you can use the faction menus normally to select your leader.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: PickYourRecruits

Post by Velensk »

This is pretty cool. Now the world of four moons will have to fear the dream team of Alchemist, Storm Guard, Horse Archer, Channeler, Legionaire and many other deadly and improbable combinations.

EDIT: Something also pretty cool which I discovered by accident: it's been worked so that AI's can play it now. Though they build some funny teams.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Velensk wrote:EDIT: Something also pretty cool which I discovered by accident: it's been worked so that AI's can play it now. Though they build some funny teams.
I think they've always been able to? But yes, of course they've never been able to play intelligently, although it might very well be that they're better at it now.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I seem to recall at some point wanting to test what units the AI likes best of all the factions and trying to use PYR era to try it and it just sitting there.

If it is more intelligent then what it had been must have been pretty bad. Because it can't tell that it's been recruiting scouts (after all it still has none), on most maps it makes all scout teams. For the experiment I put it on the 9p map where it isn't told to recruit scouts and I watched as 9 different AI's made teams which each included at least two of (ballista, elephant, sapper) usually all three with random units filling in the remaining slots (most commonly highlander braves). A very noisy battle ensued.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, if it sucks then that's not a big surprise. It's probably just going "which unit do I want when I have no units" over and over again.

I might do something about that, shouldn't be hard after all.