Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Unit sprites for After the Storm

Post by Iris »

Mefisto wrote:OK. I hoped I would get some feedback. I made some minor corrections - lost pixels, palette modifications, slightly changed the head of armageddon imp to make it more distinguishable from gutwrencher. I consider the work finished.

EDIT: I just realized that I never wrote that I used to use shadowm's Wesnoth-RCX for different palettes testing. I find it incredibly useful. Even if he doesn't like my work I just wanted to thank him for this neat tool.
Sorry. I’ve been meaning to fiddle with the GIMP but I have been far too busy with other things as of late. Maybe soon I’ll have some time again.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Uch, i really like your style in this imps from 0 to 4 lvl, ofcoure i hope you wont stop your making images on one baseframe, i hope you will make also animation of attacks/defense :P ?
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

@shadowm - I understand. The reason for delay in my work was also quite a few other important things to do. Eh, I still find some pixels which have colours slightly off. I think I'll make a revision next weekend and post it; right now I have the other things to do.

@ChaosRider - it would require having time, interest and stroke of inspiration. I want to finish my other projects which I started long time ago and also make practices with animations. And my current situation with GIMP doesn't help me.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Me and doofus-01 wrote:stuff about the Faerie Sprite line
Blah.

Old → New (WIP):

Image Image
:
(Yes, the imps, I know I know. Soon.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The new Dryad unit looks as if her arm is broken. :hmm: The other ones look great :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

They look better. The wings are such a big flag, maybe giving level 1 & 2 wings a different palette would help the distinction, without requiring a redraw of anything.
Lord-Knightmare wrote:The new Dryad unit looks as if her arm is broken. :hmm: The other ones look great :D
A very few more pixels for her knuckles would probably fix that well enough.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

test2.png
test2.png (10.75 KiB) Viewed 5778 times

... Huh. I thought it had been much longer since I last messed with the pixels in these, but it turns out it’s only been about a month.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Still think you ruined the dress of the level 3. It doesn't even appear to be shaded that well - it just seems to sit on top of the unit. The old one actually looked like it was begin worn.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I kinda see where vultraz's coming from. Also I think the skirt looks a bit 'off' but I can't put my finger on why.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Because I somehow botched the lighting completely.
Attachments
dryad-wip-12.png
dryad-wip-12.png (3.46 KiB) Viewed 5703 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Muchhhh improved. I might even say an improvement over the original. :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

The designs are interesting in concept though I have some issues with them.

Fire dryad and dryad look like they have their wings attached upside down. I'm used to convention that the wings have solid upper edges and the bottom ones can be jagged (like those of butterflies). The birds and the bats also confrom to this convention.

Besides the dryad on the last attached picture has too short left hand - in comparison with the other one. And you could shorten the right bottom wing so it would better conform to the perspective.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Mefisto wrote:Fire dryad and dryad look like they have their wings attached upside down. I'm used to convention that the wings have solid upper edges and the bottom ones can be jagged (like those of butterflies). The birds and the bats also confrom to this convention.
I can’t say I have given the issue much thought beyond consciously opting for artistic license for the subject considering that, well, it’s pretty obvious that those wings could not possibly lift a creature with the same physical properties (mass, density, etc.) as a human. In the end they are there mostly just for decorative purposes, which is why the generic Dark Faerie line I made for EoC lacks wings.
Mefisto wrote:Besides the dryad on the last attached picture has too short left hand - in comparison with the other one. And you could shorten the right bottom wing so it would better conform to the perspective.
I modified her wings a bit, but every alteration I perform on her left hand seems to make it look worse, so I think I am going to leave it as is for the sake of a release.
Top row: old<br />Bottom row: new
Top row: old
Bottom row: new
earth-test-new-3.png (102.17 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
Next target: the imps? I’m not sure. I don’t like working on unit lines because that requires me to pay attention to things like level/bling progression and internal line consistency. I may tackle a standalone unit type first instead.