World Conquest II

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rigor

Re: World Conquest tek

Post by Rigor »

i suggest we check the lobby around 10-12h tomorrow, or in the evening from 19h onwards, GMT+1 time. Maybe evening is better for Velensk with -5UTC ;)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I should be there but something has come up which may make it so that I'm either late or have to leave early depending on how the timings work out (good odds that it won't be an issue though).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Cabbar, paso and me "beated" this yesterday. In fact we dint beat it, because map5 was so easy and we had so much stuff that we conceded us victory from pure boredown. This game showed me that I have done only half of path in rebuild this campaign. The game was interesting and hard for maps 1 to 4, but as I was concentrated in develope stuff easy to test, I faced fact that I havent still changed old WC problem of last 2 maps.

We beated game playing all with Alliance, wich open door to future nerfs over this faction and/or buffs to other ones (expecially The Guild).

During next year I will try solve this structural isssues as also try tweak map generation to avoid very easy maps for darves, and excesive choke points. Gold carry over and early finish bonus gold will be also revised and could happen adition of more intermediate maps with restricted recalls... While this happens, I dont see a reason to keep in campaign boring scenarios, and I have removed map5. Now players will go directly to map6 from map4, wich hopefully will be harder and at least wont waste time in easy battles to get official victory.

Edit: AI recalls amounth have improved for last map.
Last edited by tekelili on December 23rd, 2013, 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm still open to play (the thing that may have been an issue resolved itself) if Rigor and The_Black_Sword are still up for it.

I vastly prefer playing the Horde to the other factions from playing the map solo. I agree that the Guild could use some kind of buff.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

ready when you are
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

well...
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Paulomat4 wrote:well...
Yep sorry, that bug was active just few hours :whistle:
Solved in new version. From 0.4.3.3 AI recalls becomed trained, and as I have to hack them to avoid recall event, it looks like I have also fixed the old bug observers getting oos from map2 :D

EDIT: Nope, this bug for observers look very deep... :(
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Version 0.4.5 has a complete map rebuilding system. It mainly changes decoration to use almost all possible terrains throught campaign, with more sense with plot and temporal line. It also rebuilds the cave walls clusters, and add reefs, coast and mushrooms. At last map snow is also added.

Also some minor changes and bug fixes. Added decorative castle destruction. Players can preset units advances.

From now I see really unlikely new developments until long term feedback/test give definive hints. Bug fixing and small improvements will be still active.
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

To make me more comfortable initial intesive development+testing+1st post documentation, I uploaded a huge amount of new versions and avoided to write changelog. This however, was quite uncomfortable for players, wich some of them complained about incompatible versions and long download times. From 0.4.5.6 this will change: A changelog has been added to 1st post and also in Read me.txt file. I also promised myself wait a minimun period of 2 weeks from each upload, to upload a new version (unless a severe bug had to be fixed).

Edit: Very difficult wait 2 weeks to upload a new version, when I am going to start a game... I want test changes developed and upload is easier way to give partners same version :whistle:

Edit 2: I have introduced a "bug" with autotranslation: All players will see most of translations in host language.
Working to solve it. It is recomended host in English until is solved.

Edit 3: Mainline strings translation disabled, I dont think I can solve this bug related to savegames in multiplayer :cry:
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Version 0.4.6 uploaded. I have also uploaded a translated version. Reason to have 2 versions is that translated one is not recomended for comon use in multiplayer (for host), as save/reload will set translation for all players and observers to saver language. However, for single player or groups of friends with same language, it is more friendly. In a future it could have full translations to some languages.

Edit: Added translation to Spanish (incomplete)

Edit 2: jb, paso and me defeated version 0.4.6 in an very fun game and intense last map. They played Alliance and defended in narrow corners, while I played Horde and fighted in open field. While I slaughted lot of enemies every turn, I was finally exterminated, but I had a leader with flying item that scaped to deep water. jb could then take advenatge of so many enemy units commited to paso and me zones, broke siege... and killed by himself all the 6 enemy bosses. Last one died at turn 43 out of 44. More testing will decide it... but I think I finally found the exact point in difficulty for Nightmare 3 players 8)
World Conquest II
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Even when I advise about it in add on info, I still see players trying host this add on with other eras, or trying use WC_tek_era for other add ons... it wont work.
Tweak my code to avoid errors with other eras is an extra work I wont do, as propose of this add on is being balanced to be a hard challenge. Other WC versions are suited already for weird overpowered stuff if you are interested in that. My era is fixed for human players only in slots 1,2,3 and need write events inside every scenario for campaigns. It should be the creator of an add on who fix it to support WC_tek_era if he is interested in.

I am not forcing my era in my add on for fascist reasons, I am just protecting game to be crashed ;)

Translated version was bugged for some languages, not showing some messages (my bad for only test my language translation :whistle: ). It has been fixed in 0.4.6.1
Added incomplete translations to Spanish and French.
World Conquest II
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Hi, I just want to report a bug, it looks like your innovative recruit system can cause OOS if you undo a recruit. Just want to make sure you are aware, it sounds like a hard bug to fix :doh:
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

after having played many map 1s on this new addon, i realized today that one thing would make the WC even more interesting: i always get a big motivation loss around T13 when the AI runs out of money. What about turning the last units the AI can recruit to lvl2s for extra excitement? you could designate a difficulty level easily for such a scenario... :lol:

i absolutely love the wc version we have at the moment btw! playing with iceiceice and amikrop and velensk and tbs. and nanroig and and and :)
GJ :mrgreen: :geek:
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

0.4.7 Uploaded in Add on server.
- The Guild has a balance change: Saman and mage recruit-pairs changed
- Added 2 new factions (under test)

Campaign mechanics had been tested a lot, and I think they are quite finished. The Horde and The Allianze probed to offer a very hard challenge in 3p Nightmare. The Guild was extremely difficult, and has been changed to be easier to play. With experience earned during last months tests, I think I can add some more factions balanced. I havent added all combinations because I want focus test, when the new ones become tested and balanced, I could add more. However, dont expect all possible combinations, I will add only those ones balanced to not be overpowered or useless junk (I really dont enjoy play random faction and get a hopeless one).

Campaign and Era have been renamed to World Conquest II (however i wont change add on name until BfW 1.12). This project started as a humble experimental variation, but has been developed so far that has becomed an evolution. I used to start project the first name I could think, but I find "WC_tek" kinda stupid name :P

@iceiceice: Thanks for report bug. Thats in fact a try to cheat that due to a BfW 1.10 bug I cant solve right now, but it will in BfW 1.12

@Rigor: Thanks for feedback. I will think about it, but add a mod for those interested in only play 1st map is not in my inmediate plans. (I had in fact a similar idea freezed for last map).
World Conquest II
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

tekelili: Wait so you actually have a fix for that? I would have thought there wouldn't be a way, there is a related discussion going on here: https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?21285

There is some talk that we could add "undo" as an event type so that you can catch undo's and try to fix them. But it seems like it wouldn't work well as you would probably want to have it for "redo" also as that seems not to be handled like performing the original event again.

Just thinking about it again now, it might be that we could add for every "moveto", "recruit", or otherwise "undoable" event the option to add an "on undo" block of WML that is executed when the corresponding action is undone, and set it up so the original WML is run on redo... :hmm:

But if you actually know a workaround, it might be helpful for others.