2P Minotaur Battlefield

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

2P Minotaur Battlefield

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

After the devastating failure of my previous MP scenario, Fast Strike, I went to make a new and better one. This is way better and is based on one of my most favourite factions: The Minotaurs.
Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 15.38.08.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 15.38.08.png (443.17 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
2P_Minotaur_Battlefield.cfg
(11.39 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
War of Legends is required as a dependency. There is also a special feature that reanimates the Minotaurs of Rilend Ironfist, but I'm still working on that.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: 2P Minotaur Battlefield

Post by Velensk »

When designing any multiplayer map always check for player 1s village stealing potential.

I'm not sure what you mean by reanimating minotaurs but that sounds like an imbalance due to favoring one faction just because.

For mainline though: There's a lot of drake abusable terrain here. The village position will force players to fight in an area unfavorable to loyalists. The cramped nature of the fronts looks like it'd be hard on northerners. Of course, none of this will really matter until you resolve village stealing potential.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Velensk wrote:When designing any multiplayer map always check for player 1s village stealing potential.

I'm not sure what you mean by reanimating minotaurs but that sounds like an imbalance due to favoring one faction just because.

For mainline though: There's a lot of drake abusable terrain here. The village position will force players to fight in an area unfavorable to loyalists. The cramped nature of the fronts looks like it'd be **** northerners. Of course, none of this will really matter until you resolve village stealing potential.
Acknowledged. I shall make alterations then.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

New and Improved v2.
Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 12.34.56.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-07 at 12.34.56.png (454.56 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
2P_Minotaur_Battlefield.cfg
(12.24 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
I still need someone to check the codes on the pertrification/unpetrification features. Any help here?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Just look at how the mainline maps do it. Caves of the Baskalisk/Sulla's Ruins can show you how it's done.

You still have a problem with first player village stealing. P1 can reach both villages in the center before player 2 can get there. If a rebel player gets a fast scout he can even do it with one unit. I didn't check but I suspect that bats might be able to reach other villages too fast as well.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Version 3...
Version 3...
2P_Minotaur_Battlefield v0.3.cfg
(12.32 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
This should fix that 'first player village grab' problem. Now, I still need to work on the macros that would enable the Minotaurs to be reanimated. :hmm:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi, since you mentioned this addon I decided to download it and try it out. I really like the map, but unfortunately I played until turn 8 defeating the enemy, andd no minotaurs unpetrified. Did I just not wait long enough? The objectives seemed to say the minotaurs would attack on turn 6 did I misunderstand?

Thank you!

(EDIT) :lol: after looking i realized i had waited a single turn too short because the Minotaurs unpetrify on the next nighttime turn after turn 6... It might be good to clarify more in the description but overall i really enjoyed the scenario! Thanks. :D
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Hi, since you mentioned this addon I decided to download it and try it out. I really like the map, but unfortunately I played until turn 8 defeating the enemy, andd no minotaurs unpetrified. Did I just not wait long enough? The objectives seemed to say the minotaurs would attack on turn 6 did I misunderstand?

Thank you!

(EDIT) :lol: after looking i realized i had waited a single turn too short because the Minotaurs unpetrify on the next nighttime turn after turn 6... It might be good to clarify more in the description but overall i really enjoyed the scenario! Thanks. :D
Hi, Thank for your feedback. The scenario is due for a update anyway, so I will make the minotaurs un-petrified at any night time turn. I am surprised that it took you ONLY 8 turns... :shock:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: Hi, Thank for your feedback. The scenario is due for a update anyway, so I will make the minotaurs un-petrified at any night time turn. I am surprised that it took you ONLY 8 turns... :shock:
Hi , I personally think the minotaurs should be delayed a little (but it should be clear in the objective description). As for winning in 8 turns: I was testing out expirimental ai and where a human would have easily beaten me the ai forgot to protect their leader (who being a certain windsong from war of legends with no melee) was annihilated by my dark legions riders. :D as it happens though it was bad luck because then I didnt realize the minotaurs unpetrified.

I really liked 2p minotaur battlefield and if a new version is released I request a 3p and even 4p variation be included!

Thank you for responding!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I really liked 2p minotaur battlefield and if a new version is released I request a 3p and even 4p variation be included!
Let my semester exams end and I will resurrect the project for 1.13.x.