Shortcuts :argh:

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Re: Shortcuts :argh:

Post by Dugi »

Asking the poster nicely makes me wait possibly for days till I learn what he was trying to say, and will probably lose interest in the topic. When I used google to find what ChaosRider's WOTG means, the results were War of the Gods, a private World of Warcraft server, War of the Goddess, something related to Final Fantasy, World of Tank Generals, an obnoxiously advertised primitive browser game, Wings of the Goddess, another browser game, Weapons of the Gods, an RPG game, Water on the Go, a project to remind people to drink and avoid dehydratation or Weston on the Green, something related with feminism. If I searched these forums, that shortcut was rarely near its explanation. Glossary is usually outdated (though somebody added my campaign there, and that must have been in the last two years, before it was widely unknown).
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Dugi wrote:Asking the poster nicely makes me wait possibly for days till I learn what he was trying to say, and will probably lose interest in the topic.
Do you have an example of a topic where you asked for clarification on an acro and had to wait days for the response? And where the acro was the pivotal point at understanding what the poster was saying? This seems to be dealing in what-ifs at this point, and not relevant posts.

If you will lose interest unless the person is able to respond quickly explaining their acro, it does not seem like whatever was being discussed was that important to you.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Do you have an example of a topic where you asked for clarification on an acro and had to wait days for the response?
Yes. He mentioned that something that looked like HL, and I didn't understand and had to wait a day till I get a reply (and in that case, understanding his post was quite important). He later explained that he meant Heavy Infantryman and made a typo.
If you will lose interest unless the person is able to respond quickly explaining their acro, it does not seem like whatever was being discussed was that important to you.
When somebody asks for help and fills the question with shortcuts, I lose interest to help him, to his detriment. Writing clearly is usually good for the poster, obscure shortcuts have pretty much the same effect as t3xtsp34k.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Dugi i dont remember that you asked me about what is mean WOTG shortcut. Also its War Of The Gods because you have there many units which can reach 4 lvl and even higher, which you wont find in other era addon.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

You used initially so many shortcuts that when I saw one, I skipped a few lines. I was helping you with WML, and I didn't care where were you planning to use it. And I usually didn't need to know what was the meaning of the part with shortcut overusage, it was frequently unrelated. Later, I sent you a PM complaining about your shortcut overusage and you started writing more clearly.
Anyway, War of the Gods should be grammatically correct, not War Of The Gods, so it should be WotG, not WOTG (that might stand for Wacky Obnoxious Tanked Goons, that might be an era name).

As I said before, I am not complaining about your behaviour now, just when thinking about somebody using unclear shortcuts frequently out of context, the first person that comes to my mind is you.
Last edited by Dugi on January 10th, 2014, 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Well, when we talk about my variables names then we cant said that they are shortcuts, because as we can see shortcuts are created by 1 letters of words which we are using and change to shortcut, my variables are created from combined words. For example, i have ability which is Leadership of charge, to make it clear how its works i added in variable name word "leadership", so such a variable for this ability will be "chargeleadershipunits", its created from words "charge", "leadership", "units" - they are not shortcuts, but just combined words.

Also something for us created chaotically does not have to be made by this way (without any earlier idea) ​, its just can be something what we dont understand but what is planned, in the end everything in our universe is created from chaos...
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Your variable names are something completely different. I am writing about of cases like this one, this one or this one.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Dugi wrote:Yes. He mentioned that something that looked like HL, and I didn't understand and had to wait a day till I get a reply (and in that case, understanding his post was quite important). He later explained that he meant Heavy Infantryman and made a typo.
It is a forum, not IRC. A day is not absurd to wait for a reply in clarification.
Dugi wrote:When somebody asks for help and fills the question with shortcuts, I lose interest to help him, to his detriment.
If you have conditions for helping people, that's your personal choice.
Dugi wrote:Writing clearly is usually good for the poster, obscure shortcuts have pretty much the same effect as t3xtsp34k.
Noted previously.
Turuk wrote:If the post authors wants to maximize their clarity they should spell it out, but that's really up to them.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Turuk wrote:Noted previously.
My point was the 'have pretty much the same effect as t3xtsp34k' part. T3xtsp34k makes the text unreadable or annoying to read, yet some people use it without really understanding that most of people here aren't Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/<insert another social network full of people who behave weirdly and think it's cool> addicts and don't approve their style of writing. Same for shouting or using no commas. All for laziness or misplaced attempts to be cool. You can ignore these posts as well, but for the posters' good, posting like that is forbidden. Unclear shortcuts have the same effect as other bad writing practices, so there is no reason why one is forbidden and the other one is allowed. People aren't banned for bad writing practices anyway.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Dugi wrote: As I said before, I am not complaining about your behaviour now, just when thinking about somebody using unclear shortcuts frequently out of context, the first person that comes to my mind is you.
Something wrong with my behaviour :P ?

About your last post, dont wait for others to explain you everything, if you dont know something just ask, like me :P. Stupid is not the one who asks, but who doesn't ask when he don't know.
Last edited by ChaosRider on January 10th, 2014, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ChaosRider wrote:
Dugi wrote: As I said before, I am not complaining about your behaviour now, just when thinking about somebody using unclear shortcuts frequently out of context, the first person that comes to my mind is you.
Something wrong with my behaviour :P ?

About your last post, dont wait for others to explain you everything, if you dont know something just ask, as me :P. Stupid is not the one who asks, but who doesn't ask when he don't know.
In the interest of keeping this from being completely derailed, keep this to a PM if you two really want to discuss ChaosRider's behavior.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

I don't understand your bit about "T3xtsp34k", it has been years since I last saw someone randomly replace letters with numbers?

I think it's mostly an early 00ties thing, if evoked today then for nostalgic reference, then your twitter and facebook references are rather anachronistic?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I don't understand your bit about "T3xtsp34k", it has been years since I last saw someone randomly replace letters with numbers?
I think it's still popular somewhere, but in truth, I haven't seen it for long, maybe because English isn't my native language and writing like that isn't very viable in my native language, maybe just because I don't have a Twitter accound nor an Instagram accound and on Facebook, I almost never send friend requests to anybody (and almost never suggest to anybody to send me one). Anyway, I was trying to write that the motivation to add the rule forbidding textspeak was the same as is the motivation to limit shortcuts, to make people's posts more readable.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Dugi wrote:I almost never send friend requests to anybody (and almost never suggest to anybody to send me one)
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

What's so weird about that? I am not interested in people's dumb posts (fortunately, they can't see when I stop following them), I don't spend hours on facebook, so I don't need many 'friends' there.