Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SWO17

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.06 RPG World - finished

Post by SWO17 »

I've tried playin strange legacy on the iPad but it loads to about 75 % then either crashes or says unknown scenario trader.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Check out if you haven't run out of virtual memory (that is, if your RAM wasn't filled completely).
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

SWO17 - I can't tell what happened as I never had a chance to actually test 'Battle for Wesnoth' on Mobile Devices. I assume the problem is that I coded Strange Legacy straight on and added new features ignoring the redundancy. This however makes the addon eat a lot of RAM, together with the RAM used by the app itself. I for example need 2 min. for the addon to load on my computer.

I already overworked the code, reduced a lot of effects (such as enemyspell casting and animations), but there is still a lot of work to be done. While with 11.4 the loading time is reduced I received "virtual memory" errors when quitting the addon, so dugi must be right, especially considering his experience in coding and WML. Well the bad news is that I can't help you running SL on your I-Pad.

You might want to test Five Fates. Some people say its even better than SL and I must say never reached the Five Fates rpg style in SL.

BTW I just uploaded the new version 1.071:

- bugfixes
- new tutorial level, reducing the redundancy - note that the tutorial grants additional equipment and one spell
- overworked/repaired crafting
- several books containing recipes (diary)
- throwaway all allows to throw every good away and chancel randomstories (also to reset your space to maxspace in case you lost space due to a bug)
- randomdungeons can be found all over the map, like caves --> a random cave with random inhappitants and several random treasures
- Loner and Invisiblity now needs to be unlocked before being available
- Loner and Invisibilty should now deactivate when mana is out, instead of reducing the mana to a negative value
- caves and randomdungeons will restore even after an encounter
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

1.11.7 has problems

wesnoth/1.11/data/add-ons/Trader/_main.cfg
ERROR DETAILS:
preprocessor symbol 'MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS' expects 2 arguments, but has 0 arguments at ~add-ons/Trader/units/mechanic/Pirate\ Ship.cfg:56 included from ~add-ons/Trader/_main.cfg:199

Not sure if there is a good way to update and keep compatiblity =/
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Heindal, I had the same problem in my campaign, and this helped me:

I've replaced occurrences of this:

Code: Select all

{MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS}
by this:

Code: Select all

#ifver WESNOTH_VERSION >= 1.11.7
	{MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS 3 24}
#else
	{MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS}
#endif
This change should have been accompanied by warning about deprecation and making 1.11.6 incompatible with 1.11.7, but what can we do :annoyed:
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for the solution. So this will break the game in lower versions? I for one use 11.4. for testing and uploading. I wouldn't really like that, because it would make it impossible for me to test it. Except downloading the 11.7 (my 6th version of Battle for wesnoth!) making the changes and and breaking the game for anyone below 11.7.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Nope, it checks versions when loading and uses the correct one, the old one for 1.11.6 and older (including 1.10), the new one for 1.11.7 and newer.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Ok I will try to perform the update than. Well yeah I should have read the code more carefully - it was selfexplaining!

Uploaded new version 1.072 which should fix the bug for 11.7. Maybe I will do the same thing for Five Fates, if I have the time.
LizardLover

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.072 RPG World - finished

Post by LizardLover »

Think I'm using version 1.10 something of this, but have been enjoying the game so far. Like others, have seen a few minor issues. Not even sure where to look for code, but have noticed at least the following:
1) to craft a set of knives, I'm supposed to get 'piecesofwood' and 'piecesofwiron' : note the 'w' in that second one....
2) several times when I've take things from other lands to Capital City I get the call to the variables when I sell. One was Elven Wine, which gives me something like itemnumber(6) for sellingprice - rather than stating Elven Wine for xxx gold each.
3) makes it easier, so don't mind so much, but seems I get a list of errors from Lua when I face random attacks in the north land. So I just end up walking my character through the battle scene to to exit.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks I will check that. I've already worked out some other bugs so there should be a new update soon.
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

Heindal wrote:Thanks I will check that. I've already worked out some other bugs so there should be a new update soon.
Hi Heindal,
I've started to try TSL, and I'm amazed how far you managed to push the Wesnoth engine.

A few things could be improved or made smoother, though:
  • Gold: Many things require lots of gold. A shovel or torch costing as much as a longsword? Simple cart upgrades are also quite expensive, and IMHO there is not much gained by denying the player many areas of the game early on. I think simple tools should cost 1/5 to 1/10 of what they cost now.
  • Healing: Healing at the temple does not fix the "wounded" status. There are only very few places to find bandages; it took me a while to find them and I was surprised that healing at the temple did not help. Is it of any use? The character fully heals whenever entering a new area anyway.
  • Random encounters: Much too hard for a lower-level character, require reloading. Make them a bit more balanced. A lower-level character should encounter level 0 - 1 units, not level 2 - 3. Interestingly this seemed to work when I attacked a bandit camp, although it was a close call.
  • Mana: Resting at an inn does not recover mana. What does? Drinking mana potions is too expensive in the long run.
  • Random global events: In my game, the elves now refuse to trade. I wasn't able to afford the snowy terrain upgrade prior to this. So now I'm stuck with the story line because I cannot enter the snowy mountains. Is there any way to proceed?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for the feedback.

Healing at the temple is for restoring exhaustment. But I will make it heal wounded stats in the next version.
However temples have an option to negate any negative stats such as wounded, but also cursed and venom, which really can be annoying.
You will have to pay a fee however to use this uncurse option.

Bandages and healing items can be found in any Magic Store, which are located in capital city. I will however add a tutorial about negative stats.
Strange Legacy is concepted as a game for "curious" players. So it is a lot about discovering and exploring options.

Tools should be expensive! They are however worth the costs!
A torch is for example can be used as a powerful second hand weapon.

Random encounters are hard for earlier starters, but till level 10 you are just knocked out and not killed. You will lose all your cargo and all your missions will fail. So by theory encounters are a great chance to get experience, when you have no cargo at all. Usually till level 10 you should just encounter level 0. Your level however will influence the quality of monsters as well. (I hope you are using the right version.)

Mana will allow you to perform powerful spells and therefore should not be restored that easily. Weeds, Booze and Manapotions can restore mana, so weeds and consumables such as red wine are a very good and cheap way to get it back mana.

Random global events: Crap, that is not much likely to happen so early in the game. However you can try to continue the game increasing your gold and fame.
The conflict will be solved sooner or later. Annother idea is to get a teleportaway scroll and use it on the npc blocking the entrance to the elvish city.
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

Heindal wrote:Thanks for the feedback.
Mana will allow you to perform powerful spells and therefore should not be restored that easily. Weeds, Booze and Manapotions can restore mana, so weeds and consumables such as red wine are a very good and cheap way to get it back mana.

Random global events: Crap, that is not much likely to happen so early in the game. However you can try to continue the game increasing your gold and fame.
The conflict will be solved sooner or later. Annother idea is to get a teleportaway scroll and use it on the npc blocking the entrance to the elvish city.
The trick with the teleportaway scroll worked, thanks! I can now continue the game.

I think I found a glitch: When getting a single treasure, the gold pile on the map disappears. When going for a multi-treasure hunt, the gold piles return (at least after visiting a city). Do I need to check them all in one turn?

Also, I think the "bonus level points" (bonus XP?) when clearing a bandit/monster camp do not work; I did not see anything different.
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

Hi,
I found another glitch: In the Mermen capital, the ship is gone after I disembark. There seems to be no way to get back (and my character is not smart enough to buy the items that let me walk underwater, if that was supposed to be the way back).

Also, I bought the enchanted net from the Merman smith but could not equip it like other weapons. It does not appear in the inventory even though I am offered to sell it again if I visit the smith again.
Telcontar

Post by Telcontar »

Telcontar wrote:Hi,
I found another glitch: In the Mermen capital, the ship is gone after I disembark. There seems to be no way to get back (and my character is not smart enough to buy the items that let me walk underwater, if that was supposed to be the way back).

Also, I bought the enchanted net from the Merman smith but could not equip it like other weapons. It does not appear in the inventory even though I am offered to sell it again if I visit the smith again.
The first issue is not a real glitch but a usability issue; there is no ship icon or "board ship" text so it's not clear where to board the ship again.

I found another bug, though: It's possible to enter the Pirate's Nest on foot and fight ships while swimming :-)

I guess that's not intentional, at least it looks strange if a swimmer attacks a huge ship all by himself...