Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Perseo's tryes (some spriting)

Post by doofus-01 »

I like the level 1 idea, though I agree it needs some work. It's a sensible yet non-standard pose. Maybe it would look better if you made the far arm visible? Also, get the sword away from the face, a few pixels higher or lower, so it doesn't look like he is playing the flute.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

For the level one, stand in that position yourself, with the left leg planted and the right leg bent and slightly forward. Then raise your arms to around your right shoulder and angle your "sword" back across your body. I tried this with a broom stick, and it doesn't seem very comfortable/practical. I think the leg placement on the sprite throws off the perceived balance, as the leg with the cloth over it seems to be too far back or the right leg is too far forward.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
perseo

Post by perseo »

Yee... I was aiming for kind of a jedi position xD... but failed miserably, I have some sketches and I want to try it again.
Thanks for your criticism, it has helped me to decide that I have to redo the first level (I was not really willing to do it, I'll probably try it after january final exams, I'll be quite busy till then I guess).
See ya!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

perseo wrote:Yee... I was aiming for kind of a jedi position xD... but failed miserably, I have some sketches and I want to try it again.
Thanks for your criticism, it has helped me to decide that I have to redo the first level (I was not really willing to do it, I'll probably try it after january final exams, I'll be quite busy till then I guess).
See ya!
Glad to help, most of the time when I see a sprite/portrait and something about its position strikes me as odd, I try it out to see how feasible it is for someone to stand like that. :P
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
perseo

Post by perseo »

Well, after 4 hours of fluids dynamics exams, and without any plan for yesterday's night I did in Krita, I only used sketch brush (well, I also used the normal brush to outline and I blurred the blue shirt, but I wish I hadn't did it).
Here's the result. It was a nice try and I'm surprised with the result considering that the whole process took me 'bout 2 hours. Not wesnothian style, though.
Also this morning I realized that his left hand is way too small... yesterday's night was a little tired, I guess.
young.png
See ya!
and getting hoarse."
SFault

Post by SFault »

perseo wrote:Also this morning I realized that his left hand is way too small...
Both hands are small. The head is big and the perspective with hands and sword is quite weird.

Tried to give an example. His left arm didn't end up too good. The shirt is not that puffy to demonstrate the arm better.
Attachments
Forgot to fix the right hand.
Forgot to fix the right hand.
youngfix.png (208.94 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
perseo

Post by perseo »

Yee... you're right. I tried to do the portrait just completily digital and I don't handle well working with the mouse... I prefer a pencil. Anyway, I think I will draw it and then scan, for using the draw as a reference.
Thanks!
and getting hoarse."
perseo

Re: Perseo's Tries (some spriting)

Post by perseo »

Another try on the same concept, this time with a paper and a pencil, I think the perspective should be better now. (not the scanning quality though ;) )
See ya!
Edit, well, this afternoon I fixed the left shoulder, I was not happy with it and a little bit the right arm position.
Attachments
fixed one
fixed one
and getting hoarse."
dipseydoodle

Re: Perseo's Tries (some spriting)

Post by dipseydoodle »

The hand drawn image looks better, now you can try to trace the lines with digital and fill in that way.