Possibility to turn off automatic trait description

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Dugi

Possibility to turn off automatic trait description

Post by Dugi »

Making custom traits in Wesnoth can be quite annoying. As long as their effects are usual, like some increased damage, hitpoints, movement, or decreased maximum experience, it works fine. But when I add a trait that adds 20% damage, the description says that it adds 20 damage. Many effects like resistances, weapon specials or abilities aren't listed at all. If I write a description, the autogenerated description is appended behind it (without a comma), making it quite impossible to order the information there (and it needs a lot of try-and-sees to find out how should I write it to make it look somewhat acceptable).

So, I want to suggest to make the trait's explicit description replace the autogenerated one if provided, or at least add an option if the autogenerated one should be appended at the end of the description or not.
tekelili

Re: Possibility to turn off automatic trait description

Post by tekelili »

As walkaround, you could give unit a trait with just description and no effect tag, and then apply all effects to unit in an object tag or use modify_unit.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I wonder how would you increase the damage of all melee attacks by 20% with modify_unit, but that's quire irrelevant.

I mean yes, there are workarounds, I know of them, I was just suggesting to make it possible to avoid being trolled by this annoying feature.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

I coded a generate_description= attribute in [trait], and will commit it if everything's good.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Wonderful.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

And committed in 4c7f24c.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.