YEESSSSSS!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Ankka wrote:Oh, and BTW, why are you using version 0.8.7 of the game instead of 0.8.8? Is it more stable or something?
No, I was using it because it was the latest version. I'm now using 0.8.8.
Ankka wrote:The problem in replays is that you won't see the unit's traits. That's a thing I'd like to see too...
If you wait until the end of the replay, it goes on to the next scenario and then you can look at the recall list.
Ankka wrote:Also some of the leveled units are ones I don't yet know so well by just the looks so it's a bit hard to see what they are... but it's guessable.
At Dwarven Doors I have:
5 Elvish Avengers
2 Elvish Champions
2 Elvish Sharpshooters
1 Silver Mage
2 Elvish Captains
2 Elvish Druids
3 Elvish Heroes (one is 2 XP from levelling)
2 Elvish Marksmen
2 Tritons
and a load of level 1 units, which are also useful because they let me pick and choose the traits I want.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Ankka wrote:Oh, and BTW, why are you using version 0.8.7 of the game instead of 0.8.8? Is it more stable or something?
No, I was using it because it was the latest version. I'm now using 0.8.8.
Ah, ok.
Elvish Pillager wrote:
Ankka wrote:The problem in replays is that you won't see the unit's traits. That's a thing I'd like to see too...
If you wait until the end of the replay, it goes on to the next scenario and then you can look at the recall list.
Didn't think of that...
Elvish Pillager wrote:
Ankka wrote:Also some of the leveled units are ones I don't yet know so well by just the looks so it's a bit hard to see what they are... but it's guessable.
At Dwarven Doors I have:
5 Elvish Avengers
2 Elvish Champions
2 Elvish Sharpshooters
1 Silver Mage
2 Elvish Captains
2 Elvish Druids
3 Elvish Heroes (one is 2 XP from levelling)
2 Elvish Marksmen
2 Tritons
and a load of level 1 units, which are also useful because they let me pick and choose the traits I want.
I see you use no Elvish Commanders or whetever the other chance for an Elvish Fighter to level up to is. I do the same... At least IMHO it isn't worth the weaker attack and defence for leadership.
Elvish_Pillager

Ankka wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:...
2 Elvish Captains
I see you use no Elvish Commanders or whetever the other chance for an Elvish Fighter to level up to is. I do the same... At least IMHO it isn't worth the weaker attack and defence for leadership.
Captain vs. Hero: Captain has 4 less HP and 4 less damage on its melee attack. Its ranged attack, speed, defense, and resistance are the same. And leadership can give lots of your units +25% damage... 25% is a lot, in some cases. Of course, there are greater disadvantages to the Marshal (way less ranged damage) but +50% damage for level 1 units and 25% for level 2 units is very, very powerful. I usually get a couple of Marshals before I go for Champions but in this case I went in the other order, because I needed toughness before damage.

Also, Konrad gives equal bonuses, but Konrad is slow in Forest and there's only one of him. I made do with him, but I've started having too big of an army for that.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Ankka wrote:I see you use no Elvish Commanders or whetever the other chance for an Elvish Fighter to level up to is. I do the same... At least IMHO it isn't worth the weaker attack and defence for leadership.
Captain vs. Hero: Captain has 4 less HP and 4 less damage on its melee attack. Its ranged attack, speed, defense, and resistance are the same. And leadership can give lots of your units +25% damage... 25% is a lot, in some cases. Of course, there are greater disadvantages to the Marshal (way less ranged damage) but +50% damage for level 1 units and 25% for level 2 units is very, very powerful. I usually get a couple of Marshals before I go for Champions but in this case I went in the other order, because I needed toughness before damage.

Also, Konrad gives equal bonuses, but Konrad is slow in Forest and there's only one of him. I made do with him, but I've started having too big of an army for that.
I manage to miss something in every post today. :roll:

But, that sounds very effective... I think I've been effectively underestimating leadership so far. So a level 3 leadership unit makes a level one unit do +50% damage? Cool...:mrgreen: doesn't say that anywere in the help IIRC...

Is a level 1 leadership unit any good when you only have level one units? In the Eastern Invasion campaign you get the Sergeant-guy who is level one and has leadership... yet for instance corpses or bts can't be hired. :?:
Elvish_Pillager

Ankka wrote:doesn't say that anywere in the help IIRC...
It will in 0.8.9, I wrote a better Leadership description. (and got someone else to put it in-game.)
Is a level 1 leadership unit any good when you only have level one units?
No, units have to be of lower level to get any benefit. Gweddry, though, can level up into a Grand Marshal, which is level 4 and can thus lead even level 3 units. With his help, it's possible for a Knight to kill Mal-Ravanal in one blow.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:No, units have to be of lower level to get any benefit. Gweddry, though, can level up into a Grand Marshal, which is level 4 and can thus lead even level 3 units. With his help, it's possible for a Knight to kill Mal-Ravanal in one blow.
Level 4... sounds yummy.

But you can't hire horsemen in that campaign... at least in the first scenarios (please don't spoil me by telling about the campaign). Gotta play it more... when I get time.
Elvish_Pillager

Ankka wrote:But you can't hire horsemen in that campaign... at least in the first scenarios (please don't spoil me by telling about the campaign). Gotta play it more... when I get time.
You used to be able to get Horsemen from the beginning, but then Turin changed it. I haven't played it since, so I can't spoil it anyway.
datakid

Post by datakid »

I've found the Seige of Elensefar v difficult on the move to 0.8.8...the Bay of Pearls is a lot harder in the new version than it was in 0.8.7...I mean, I don't mind losing a few units, but I cannot get to a winning position in SoE without losing almost everything...in 0.8.7 I got up to the dwarven doors, but now I can't get past SoE...I'm not v xp'd at this type of game, but I've been playing for a few months now...I had to move from easy to medium as I found that easy didn't actually have enough xp on any levels to level up chars....
Elvish_Pillager

SoE is currently the most unbalanced scenario in Easy, I think.

For one thing, it totally stopped my Elvish Scouts. It was only mildly difficult playing all the previous scenarios recruiting nothing but Elvish Scouts, but in SoE they had no chance.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Ankka wrote:But you can't hire horsemen in that campaign... at least in the first scenarios (please don't spoil me by telling about the campaign). Gotta play it more... when I get time.
You used to be able to get Horsemen from the beginning, but then Turin changed it. I haven't played it since, so I can't spoil it anyway.
Oh, that explains it.

IIRC you can recruit basic loyalist (I think) units like spearmen, cavalrymen and heavy infantry... and mages.

Only the heavy infantry really is useful agains the undead there, as the blades and pierces of the cavarlies and speamen are so useless against undead... esp sceletons.
Elvish_Pillager

Ankka wrote:IIRC you can recruit basic loyalist (I think) units like spearmen, cavalrymen and heavy infantry... and mages.
It's a pity that the only campaign in which you can get Cavalry is one in which they are little good.
Only the heavy infantry really is useful agains the undead there, as the blades and pierces of the cavarlies and speamen are so useless against undead... esp sceletons.
Yeah, it's hard to balance a campaign with consistent enemies which have weird resistances.
Elvish_Pillager

YEESSSSSS!

I've done the Dwarven Doors! The lot of it was honest luck, I swear. I was as surprised as you will be.

Of course, it's not completely honest; after all, I did load my scenario-start save many times. However, it's my opinion and that of many of our members that that's not a problem.
Attachments
The_Dwarven_Doors_replay-No_Losses.zip
(18.27 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:YEESSSSSS!

I've done the Dwarven Doors! The lot of it was honest luck, I swear. I was as surprised as you will be.
Wow! :shock: Simply astonishing, really. That is a scenario where this goes to the ultimate; perhaps even harder than the Siege of Elensefar on this variant as you need to move all the time and the AI gets level 2 units...
Elvish Pillager wrote:Of course, it's not completely honest; after all, I did load my scenario-start save many times. However, it's my opinion and that of many of our members that that's not a problem.
You mean you loaded the start save for the scenario many times? Why would that be cheating? Do you mean you would need to play the campaign every time all the way here and then try it? That would be simply impossible... or at least VERY time-consuming and boring.

Anyway, great complishment! :D
PDF

Post by PDF »

Very impressive, myself I never went past Bay of Pearls with no losses :cry:
Tell me : how do you level up those darn Elvish Shamen ? Mine always get killed, and I don't understand how they can gain sufficient xp to level with their awfully weak attacks (3/2 ...) :?:
PDF
Awkward Syntax

Post by Awkward Syntax »

Very impressive, myself I never went past Bay of Pearls with no losses
Tell me : how do you level up those darn Elvish Shamen ? Mine always get killed, and I don't understand how they can gain sufficient xp to level with their awfully weak attacks (3/2 ...)
Finishing off weakened units works. I haven't really had a problem levelling up my shamen. You just don't get careless with them.
YEESSSSSS!

Heh... I'll have to watch that sometime. Good luck with The Lost General...