SX RPG Expert Strategies?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mabuse

Re: SX RPG Expert Strategies?

Post by Mabuse »

wow. that sounds that you are on the right way. :)

weapon-wise thats a friggin minimalistic strategy.
basically the dwarf uses the default damage types - blade and impact. great.

also the hero choice -- ranger and warrior -- the most strongest types, but i would have definately not used a ranger. but its great if it works :)
great stuff.

i think i will have some fun running around with your heroes. and toying around with the save :)

if you can beat the level dont forget to upload your save, you will get your place in the hall-of-fame.

would be the first official win on this map. what difficulty did you play?
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

btw, nice save. i really have fun with it.

small hint:
if you activate no-luck-mode now (i would do it), the game becomes fairly playable.
(but of course ... in the improved version, which is not yet uploaded, it should be much better)

at least on my computer (which isnt a very good one)

EDIT:
after playing 11 rounds of your save (turn 138 currently), i assume that you can make it with your team. but it will be a hard fight ;).
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Cool, I'm glad you like it - and thanks a lot for the tip with no luck mode, that made it much more enjoyable :-)

You were right, it's really been one hell of a fight! I'm on turn 180 now and I hope my Queen can execute to earn her Medal of Honour in Platinum ....
Attachments
The_Final_Stand.gz
(967.33 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Well, the lady can win - but the dwarf would have to suicide himself for it. Looking for a better solution ....
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Victory!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Attachments
Heroic_Victory_Replay.gz
(696.35 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Puh, I finally made it - won Temple of Bones on Expert :lol2:

And we actually have two possible endings - since I turned on No Luck Mode around turn 120, the results should be reproducible.

For the no-save-loading quick and dirty suicide win, simply end turn with the dwarf, the lady then hits with arcane - and unfortunately, that stupid artifact demon survives with just 2hp left, lol! Luckily, the lady drunk the yellow potion, so she can survive the counter-attack and then execute next turn.

For the heroic victory, I simply had to go back one turn - instead having the lady pickup the yellow potion, I sent her back to the camp, she's very fast so she probably could have made it next turn by using a ton of cyan potions. Then, I could pickup the yellow potion with my dwarf and kill.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Hmm it seems I cannot watch any of these in wesnoth 1.10.4, I get some gibberish:

The game map could not be loaded: Illegal tile in map: (Xoss) 'Xoss'
The map could not be loaded

:hmm:
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Well, Mabuse, I finally believe you that it may be impossible to win this with a single unit - it has been incredibly hard with two! And in the end, I wished I would have had something like a Paladin Cleric as a quick healer.

In hindsight, I think it was a mistake to add charge to my weapon - that turned into a huge problem during end-game. Charge was great late in the temple because it helped me to easily kill Goulmages this way, but it made that weapon almost unusable during the endgame. There was a point where I could not attack certain enemies - Gorgon Sorceress for instance - anymore, I actually had to use the Ranger to bring them down to ~2/3rd hp before I could attack them. And I think instead of using the dwarf's built-in weapon, I should have bought a non-magical impact weapon in the shop to get the higher number of strikes.

Another big problem during endgame was that neither of my two units had more than 50% blade resistance. I carefully selected and configured both these units after watching my last replay - which didn't get past the Gorgon Sorceress. And I also didn't remember anymore which enemies I would have to expect outside the temple - well, bone dragons basically ...

These caused a ton of problems and I only figured out how to kill them by accident - when the one that was guarding the entrance of the fortress jumped off his stand and attacked me - then I realized how much damage it would take from that! This was also the only way of killing the last boss: standing next to it at full 600 hp and let it hit me.
Last edited by roidanton on November 16th, 2013, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

iceiceice wrote:Hmm it seems I cannot watch any of these in wesnoth 1.10.4, I get some gibberish:

The game map could not be loaded: Illegal tile in map: (Xoss) 'Xoss'
The map could not be loaded

:hmm:
This happens if you don't have the SX RPG add-on installed - I've seen this same error message when I tried to watch my replay on another computer.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Hmm, the replay somehow crashes on turn 17 :augh:

Here's the last save before ending the scenario.
Attachments
Heroic_Victory.gz
(914.96 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Yeah I have been watching it now -- it looks like something bad happens where the hydra does not move on turn 9 and shoots errors off afterwards. Maybe one of the move commands for it is missing somehow. Hard to say for sure.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

roidanton, I managed to fix your replay :) something very odd was happening with one of the plants, I fixed that and now the replay runs fine, at least to turn 80, i have not made it the whole way yet.

This replay is very nice, among some other things you have convinced me that the berzerker sword is a good weapon :)
Spoiler:
Attachments
Heroic_Victory_Replay_Modified.gz
repaired SXRPG replay
(699.95 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Last edited by iceiceice on November 16th, 2013, 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roidanton

Post by roidanton »

Ice, you're my hero! Thanks a lot for fixing it - it would have been such a shame if this great replay would have been lost!
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Please stop the consecutive posting. You can edit your previous answer if you want to add to it. Thanks. :)
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

iceiceice wrote:roidanton, I managed to fix your replay :) something very odd was happening with one of the plants, I fixed that and now the replay runs fine, at least to turn 80, i have not made it the whole way yet.

This replay is very nice, among some other things you have convinced me that the berzerker sword is a good weapon :)

The problem is that on turn 1, side 6 (the naga boss) is recalling a Leech worm plant, at hex 59,60, which does not exist in recall list. This seems not to be an issue until turns 9 - 17, but really it is a big problem. If the plant is not there, other units (hydras) spawn at wrong locations, heroes get wrong gold and wrong upgrades... so the way to fix it is put the plant back.

I think what is going on here is both a typo in TempleOfBones.cfg and an inconsistency in wesnoth.

The unit is placed at hex 65,81 by TempleOfBones.cfg line 802:

Code: Select all

{SX_PLACE_ATTACKERS se $tropsea_$random 65 81 6 5 105 31 0 10}
However, 65,81 is off map. By default, units placed off map go to recall, at least SingleUnitWml suggests this. However it seems that this only works in game and may not be honored by the replay viewer, so it creates an OOS. (more testing needed to confirm though)

Mabuse, if you read this, I think that maybe you had intended for the 81 in the file to be a 51, as 65, 51 is a deep water hex? If you like having the plant in the recall list then maybe you should explicitly place in the recall list instead of off map.
man, this is excellent!

i had searched for this bug quite a time - but gave up on it.
i really had no idea why there is a leech plant next to the ai6 boss.

will get fixed asap.

and thx for the corrected replay. :)