Elven Dance

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Elven Dance

Post by West »

PPH wrote:I can't believe this topic is more than four years old.
Actually, it's only a little over three ;)

PPH wrote:Still, the latest version was never reviewed. Any chance this may end up in the mainline? West?
In its present state, no. With better samples, possibly. In terms of realism it's far from convincing, but I still like that early music Conan-esque feel of it. You want to get back to working on it?

Edit: tell you what, let me know what instruments are in the arrangement and I'll give you some suggestions on good free samples to use.
PPH

Post by PPH »

He, I mistook my registration date with the date of the topic.

Anyway, I'm not finding the source file right now, but it should be somewhere in the computer where I made this (I was sure to have it at hand...). But the instruments are a harp, a flute, oboes (which I suspect are the ones bothering you), a bassoon and a tambourine. I do have EWQL Silver Orchestra (an old version, but the sounds are good). But I'm not sure the oboe comes from there (I seem to remember the one that came with the library was out of tune). I also have SSO and I just bought Miroslav Philarmonik. But if you have any suggestions of specific samples, I'm open to receive them.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

It should definitely be possible to put something nice together from EWQL and Miroslav. In fact the woodwinds are the only part of Miroslav that don't make me cringe so by all means, give it a shot if you find the project file :)
PPH

Post by PPH »

Ok. I'm having trouble finding the file, though :( Anyway, even if I don't find it, I can give it a shot. This is not a symphony that can't be put together again with a little work :D

EDIT: I found a version of the file. I'll be back :D
PPH

Post by PPH »

Here's a new version.
Attachments
ElvenDanceModifsv7.zip
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 553 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I am no expert on music, but the general tone seems to be that of a slightly repetitive tune and meter. I kept expecting a sudden surge of energy somewhere around the first minute, yet it stuck to the same general pattern.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
PPH

Post by PPH »

I think I see what you mean, but it's a very short piece. I don't think there's room for so much variation (unless I make a longer piece, but then, would it be usable in the game, given its style?). It has a very basic structure: ABA', that is, the main melody, another melody, and the main melody again, with variations, just like a common song, but this piece is shorter than an average song. A "surge of energy", I think, would take this piece to a whole different direction.

By the way, you don't need to be a music expert for your opinion to be valuable! :D
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I see what you mean. Hm... I doubt making it longer would be an issue. It's just that the music ... FEELS (dunno how else to put that) like you should expect something, but then doesn't deliver.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
PPH

Post by PPH »

West, I see you've been around these days. Maybe you missed the new version I posted.
PhantomJedi

Post by PhantomJedi »

I very much liked the piece. Excellent job, in my opinion.
PPH

Post by PPH »

Thanks! :D
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

PPH wrote:West, I see you've been around these days. Maybe you missed the new version I posted.
I must have, sorry!

As I think I've said before, this is a nice little piece. It has a very cool medieval early music kind of feel and it reminds me a lot of parts of the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack (original moive, not the remake).

I think I'm going to have to side with vultraz though. It needs... more. It just sort of tapers off and ends just when you think something different and new and possibly grander is going to happen. I keep hearing violins softly joining in and then doubling the melody, and horns/trombones providing the chordal foundation. Plus more and bolder percussion. Not necessarily a big and epic sound, but at least a repetition of the musical themes with a larger instrumentation.

Also, the woodwinds need more ornamentation. Especially the high ones. Grace notes and slurs here and there so they sound more musical and flowing.

If you're not familiar with it, do have a listen to Basil Poledouris' Conan soundtrack. It might give you some idea of what I'm talking about. It's a brilliant score, far better than the movie deserves IMO ;)
PPH

Post by PPH »

Yes, it's a very simple, short piece. I see I won't get away with that :D I'm to work on it when I have some time, and expand it.

Thanks you for comments, West.

EDIT: I do know Basil Poledouris' music for Conan The Barbarian, even though I never saw the film.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

PPH wrote:Yes, it's a very simple, short piece. I see I won't get away with that :D I'm to work on it when I have some time, and expand it.
Did you use Miroslav for this? If so, and if you're not opposed to the thought of doing some collab thing, I wouldn't mind having a go at creating an expanded arrangement for this piece. I also have Miroslav Philharmonik so I should be able to load up the same patches.

What DAW are you using though?
PPH

Post by PPH »

West wrote:
Did you use Miroslav for this? If so, and if you're not opposed to the thought of doing some collab thing, I wouldn't mind having a go at creating an expanded arrangement for this piece. I also have Miroslav Philharmonik so I should be able to load up the same patches.

What DAW are you using though?
I didn't use Miroslav. I used EWQL Silver and some GTown samples. Also, my DAW is Renoise (maybe you don't know it; it's a sort of hybrid between a tracker and a regular DAW), with all its excentricities, which would make a collaboration even more difficult.

I do some ideas to expand this, too. In fact, I opened the forum because I wanted to see your suggestions.

I'm not opposed to collabs in general, though.