"The fellowship of the Clay" Humans gaining ground story

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Starlight

Re: "The fellowship of the Clay" Humans gaining ground stor

Post by Starlight »

gooby wrote:If it were to be mainlined, the writing—the English writing at least—will need to be seriously overhauled.

I don't mean to be too harsh but, while this campaign looks tactically/mechanically interesting, I never made it far because the English writing is so absurd I couldn't suspend disbelief.

Giving it a go in a second language—namely German—seems to be a huge improvement at first glance...
I have made detailed corrections to the English script - on the grammar side, which have been incorporated in the latest version by Reval.

I suggest you have update your campaign version - should be a pleasant surprise.

Note: Are you referring to the overall writing by any chance - I haven't made much changes there - though I did find it good enough.
Reval

Post by Reval »

Krellja wrote: Hoping that you are interested I'll send you some typos in the german translation as a PM.
Though I wanted to do this a lot earlier, I just uploaded a new version that icorporates all the corrections to the german translation, Krellja made.
Fortunately, lampslave also made some new improvements to the russion translation so the update includes those too.
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
DragonOne

Post by DragonOne »

On the "Yeti's State of Mind" scenario I cannot put out the fires. I can get water from the well and be transported but placing the water-carrier on the fire has no effect even though the bucket indicating the water is attached to the character.

I am playing on a Mac if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reval

Post by Reval »

DragonOne wrote:On the "Yeti's State of Mind" scenario I cannot put out the fires. I can get water from the well and be transported but placing the water-carrier on the fire has no effect even though the bucket indicating the water is attached to the character.

I am playing on a Mac if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Seems to be a bug. :(
Which version of BfW are you using?

Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

Hey there!
After finishing every mainline campaign except NR I played "The Fellowship of Clay" on easy difficulty on version 1.10.
I will divide my feedback into Gameplay and Story.

Gameplay:
On the first scenario I liked the idea of "protecting civilians" this was an unusual challenge. The following scenarios were some nice little battles and I thought, this was going to be an nice campaign if it went on like this (although I lost the first time in Blackwater Port because I were'nt told that the death of the mermaid causes defeat).
Spoiler:
- All those "extraordinary" units. When I read Clyde's description, it said something about a Paladine who does'nt like a lance. I liked that he can mount and dismount the unicorn but why make him a Paladine without a lance and then give his mount an attack that is exactly the same as a lance? (Except that a Paladine does more damage). Why not make the mount a regular horse and Clyde a regular Paladine who has a lance while mounted and uses only his sword when he's walking on his feet? (Plus the ability to inspire, which comes in handy) And instead of his Holy Light attack I would rather have the opportunity to level some white mages early.
Although I liked Harriett as a character, the same goes for her: I don't see any point in creating a unit like her. There are only two missions when you really can use her ability and if you do so, it totally takes the challlenge and therefor the fun out of the game.
- Another thing that bothered me was that I hardly could make any tactical decisions. Most of the maps and scenarios are so designed that there is only one way to beat it. That is too bad because imho strategy games should leave the possibility to decide to the player.

Now for story and other in-game-feedback:
Spoiler:
I was also troubled by the aspects from "our" world that broke into the world of Wesnoth. It is weird when a dwarf talks about Freudian lapses, or when a mermaid refers to Aristotle. Of course it is somehow funny but imho the world should be seperated. It makes the world Wesnoth more authentic.

Let me point out, that I don't intend to crush your work into pieces. TFotC is surely a good work and I'm looking up to you because I don't know if I ever could create a whole campaign. But I think, it's my duty to be honest when giving feedback.
Last edited by Elfarion on January 28th, 2013, 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Reval

Post by Reval »

Hi Elfarion,
just some answers to your questions.
First a general remark from my side that I don't seem to repeat often enough:
Difficulty "easy" is intended to be easy, "hard" is intended to be hard. This answers your concern that some scenarios might be to easy. If you find some to hard, that's a different story.
Elfarion wrote:I lost the first time in Blackwater Port because I were'nt told that the death of the mermaid causes defeat.
Thanks for the bug report.
Spoiler:
In any case, thanks for your feedback!
Still, I would like to ask you to hide most of the points regarding later scenarios in a spoiler tag as I did.

Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

I get the point about the difficulty. I shall try it on a harder setting later. And I did read the dialogue on the last scenario.
Spoiler:
And about the contract:
Spoiler:
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Reval

Post by Reval »

Elfarion wrote:And I did read the dialogue on the last scenario.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Elfarion wrote:And about the contract:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Iris on January 29th, 2013, 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed malformed bbcode tree destroying the forum layout.

Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

technical: shadowmaster: the forum layout is destroyed even now (Linux Mint 14 FF 18.0.1)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:technical: shadowmaster: the forum layout is destroyed even now (Linux Mint 14 FF 18.0.1)
Browser and operating system details are irrelevant for this kind of thing.

Fixed it again. I’m not sure how or why my edit was undone, but the solution is to follow the correct order when closing nested bbcode tags, that is:

Code: Select all

[quote]...[spoiler]...[/spoiler]...[/quote]
Not:

Code: Select all

[quote]...[spoiler]...[/quote]...[/spoiler]
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
fatality
Translator

Post by fatality »

Hi Reval (and other guys),

I am coordinator of Polish translation and I have a guy in team who started working recently on this campaign (The fellowship of the Clay). As far as I understand this is unofficial addon and translation is not being handled in regular way. Do you know who accepts PO files?
Reval

Post by Reval »

fatality wrote:Hi Reval (and other guys),

I am coordinator of Polish translation and I have a guy in team who started working recently on this campaign (The fellowship of the Clay). As far as I understand this is unofficial addon and translation is not being handled in regular way. Do you know who accepts PO files?
Hi fatality,
though this campaign is not mainlined (isn't included in the BfW download), the translation is handled in the "regular" way, i.e. wescamp. So the best thing would be to just upload the .POs at https://github.com/wescamp/The_Fellowsh ... _Clay-1.10. If this is not possible, mailing it to Espreon would be the second best way. Giving me a quick note about an upload quickens the process of including the translation in the add-on. Looking very much forward to a possible polish translation!
Best
Reval

fatality
Translator

Post by fatality »

Hi Reval,

That is fine. Actually I think git is more natural, as I am web developer ;-) I will clone repo, create new branch, push changes to remote server and create pull request, so you or project maintainer can merge code into master. I am not a git expert, so let me know if I am missing something.

I will let you know when it is ready. I will also add translator to the credits defined in _main.cfg
fatality
Translator

Post by fatality »

Hi Reval,

Just for your information. I have committed partial polish translation. It is not complete and unfortunately I do not expect serious updates soon.

By the way, this campaign seems to be very interesting. Good job! ;-)
Reval

Post by Reval »

fatality wrote:Hi Reval,

Just for your information. I have committed partial polish translation. It is not complete and unfortunately I do not expect serious updates soon.

By the way, this campaign seems to be very interesting. Good job! ;-)
Thanks a lot for your contribution!!! Just added it to the campaign.