Strange Legacy - 1.16 RPG World (Markets Upgrade)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Strange Legacy - 1.0 RPG World - finished

Post by Heindal »

The development is over and I finished all the bugfixes and issues I could find (see changelog first post). Unfortunately, due to new elements, the loading time is extreme. It will take around 3 min to loead, even though I tried to reduce that, I made it worse. Even indenting seemed to have a slow down effect on the addon.

Note that their are some aftermath elements. A strange magician will show up in the Temple District and will offer you some special goods. Bosses will spawn at level 50, in each encounter. If you even manage to reach level 70 you will encounter epic creatures, with a variety of deadly spells. Yes enemies can now cast spells, like you. So you will see fireballs flying over the place, casted by your enemies.

Note that levels so far increase your enemies in the following way:

- each level will give your enemies a hitpoint more
- each 15th level the movement, damage and number of your encountered enemies will increase by 1
- each level will increase the chance to cast a spell and will decrease your chance to block the spell
- level can influence some of your skills, so your sucess chance will be decreased as higher your level is (to keep you busy)

Also note that potions at the potion store, which can be used to increase all your stats are now dynamic and will be increased based on the number of your stat.
For example raising intelligence from 1 to 2 will cost you only 1000 gold, while raising from 2 to 3 will cost you 2000 and so on. So it will be harder for you to increase just one stat only using flasks. There is still a trick: the price of the potions will be calculated when entering the store, so you can buy several raises for cheaper prices.

So far only your side is the target of the enemy spells, I did not manage to get the filter working on teams. As soon as I know how to do that, massslow, massdamage and masspoison spells will become very powerful. This enemy spell macro is something that might improve any campaign, as it makes the game unpredictable. Note that mass spells only effect side=3 which is the basic enemy side, while side=2 is your allied side. (there is only one exception in the game, but you should not have masspells by then)

Your final enemy will now be able to cast these spells too, so the end fight might be harder. But remember that I also repaired the venom special and the spikes, so you might have a chance using these abilities. By the way: Final Fight: Let the last enemy hit you one, than the amulet of the three will be activated. Of course you can kill the enemy in the first turn, but for story reasons it might be better to let the enemy bite you ^_^. You will see what happens next. I'm still confused by weird moveto macros, that move the character to a different place, even so it is correct in the code :roll: I have no idea why.

Walktrough will follow, later. I finished the development and I hope that this version is bugfree.
But for now, I'd like to say goodbye.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

It will take around 3 min to load
Only about a minute or so on my machine, not so scary ;)
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

Got a bug: stuck in the junkstore. Pretty much, just started (scholar) went in to town & to the junk store in the slums. When I click "leave the place" it takes me straight back to the same screen. I'm pretty much stuck clicking the same option (the only option) over & over again.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I'm sorry for that, and I will fix that asap.
Thanks for reporting.

Edit: Fixed, a "2" was missing somewhere. :hmm:
I used a macro to realize the leave and forget to add the number 2.

Btw. I'd learned to hate the complexity of the game, there are so many features which makes it impossible to test everything.
I suggest to close the game and use the new update 1.02. This should also hinder you to become invincible using bandages ^^.

Advice for the other players, never enter the junk store :mrgreen:!
The game is now available for 1.11.4, too.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

Thanks! Might go try the wesnoth 1.11.4 version. By the way, the pocketthiefs didn't seem to actually steal any gold when they hit me. Not that I'm really complaining ...
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for telling. The pickpocket weaponspecial has been buggy ever since. It just seems to work in one direction, either the opposing side looses gold or the stealing side gets gold. When playing with that, I might have completly messed it up. But it is just a small feature, but for coolness reasons I will fix that in a later version.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Hi and thanks for this great work, I really enjoy the quests, the specials and the items you created. Some ideas I throw in the discussion :

Bugs :

- In nothern map, you don't always get bounty for killing orcs. In one mission I received money for killing orcish archers for instance but not for their lvl 2 comrades.

- Sometimes random encounters don't generate units and I get lua error : Unknow unit type Icebear for example.

- You get attacked by orcish patrols whereas its icon is 3 hexes aways. Searching for the orcish outpost mission is therefore endless since you have to step on every hex.

- You can't reload without getting "unknow unit you". Only way to do it is to restart wesnoth.

- They say they need every negociator to cop with elves. There is an elve standing in Elves Rise keep but he won't talk to me.

- Mana potion indicates +5 mana but refills it whole.

- The bandage item ( no wound and +10hp) don' t disappear when used, giving unlimited health.

- Someone gave me a bit of its flask saying he would appear in temple district but no one appeared in this area of Capital City and I keep having this message during random encounter.

- Orcs don't seem to use spells or "spell-like" attacks whereas rats on mainland do.

- Specials added by magic to weapons don't disappear after the battle but do if you remove your weapon from inventory. Is that on purpose ?

Balancing :

The trade frame of the story and all the available options make this game great but after playing a while some mechanisms which are challenging and fun at the beginning seem to lose their purpose.

Money :

Maybe increase income and rewards according to level would be a solution to smooth the game. I am a lvl 20 scholar with a magician cloak and if I spend time teleporting silk or writing I earn ridiculous amount of money. Side missions should earn more gold to avoid those fastidious phases. Same with bounty, a few coins for killing a lvl 1 ennemy is pocket money at this stage of the game. Maybe the player could establish a trade route generating regular income with random side missions to maintain it ? Something like "the trade you established between city X and city Y, generating Z*your lvl income each day, is disturbed by outlaws. You need to destroy their hideout to resume trade".

Fame :

Same as money. Once you spend 30 minutes teleporting products you can buy thousands of fame in the capital city. Buying fame option should be limited. Maybe events like random encounter should generate fame and events such as harbour city invasion should be harder and generate more fame. Maybe implement a maximum cap of fame according to the stage of the game ?

Difficulty :

Game at start is hard but once you have access to the teleport trade and buy spells and items, it's quite easy. If I encounter ennemies too hard for me, I just have to spam elementals or mass-use restsoul, drink a mana potion and repeat. Maybe the number of spells and summons one can cast each turn should be limited to a max which can be modified by upgrades or items.

Experience :

Less lvl 1 units and more die-hard opponents ! Summoned units should give their xp to their master ( like in Era of High Sorcery era). Random encounters are still surprising and fun but since they are mainly lvl 1 or 2, to harvest xp you quickly look like a lvl 1 mass slaughterer. Maybe in addition to the extra xp and damage system you implemented, ennemy units should have extra lvl too.

Linked with previous remark about difficulty, some encounters should have a “call for reinforcement” option. If you kill them all in a few turns, the last unit you kill could scream something like “they are stronger than expected, call for reinforcement!” or "the noise of the battle was heard by a stronger group ennemy" and there you have the possibility to flee the scene or wait for stronger ennemy to appear.

Sorry if the review was too long, I hope it will help. Thanks again and good luck !
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for the constructive critique and your time to write this. I really appreciate that.

I will now use the chance to ask some questions myself :D:

- Have you received the soundfiles, when downloading the addon?
- Did you like the storyline? Did everything work fine? What can be improved?

Bugs:

1. Bounty: Well I've been a little lazy and not implented all the types in the game to give a bounty. I can change that in a future version.
2. I should have tested the Icebear ^^. I will fix that - there are just to many monsters you might encounter.
3. There are two kind of orcs, orcish patrols and orcish armies. The orcish patrols will appear everywhere. Orcish armies are annother caliber. If you have maxed out your character you can defeat an orcish army (try to predict where it moves), or at least try to do so. The Orcish Hero is one of the strongest enemies in the game and has due to its tripple damage charge a damagepotential of 90 hp (or more) in one turn.
4. Unknown unit you? This sounds like a mean bug! Do you play in 11.4? I never had this problem in 10.0!
5. Conflicts like the harbour city attack, the civil war or the elves war can be solved when stepping on a field that says 'conflict'. Than you have the option to either solve the conflict by fighting, negotiation or pay gold.
6. Hm, the mechanism checks wether the mana is over maxmana and than set it to the maxmana, maybe I made a mistake.
7. Yep! Thats true. I think I fixed that together with the junkstore bug.
8. Hm, the flask is a free sample. This is some kind of 'medieval marketing expert' advertising the magic store in Capital City. In an early version of the game, this Magic Store was the only place where you could get healing fluids.
9. Well orcs don't have spellcasters, but the Spawn1 should fire at least a 'mastershot' or something.
10. This is correct. With enchantments you can make the weapon incredibly strong and the weapon special is permanent as long as you wield the weapon, maybe this is too strong. Maybe a weapon can break, if you cast to many enchantments on them, but I haven't embedded this feature yet.

Balancing:

Money: I already embedded some kind of dynamic system, at least for the flasks. But an increase of mission income by level is a brilliant idea. Maybe I will also add the Looter ability from Five Fates, thus you will get money for every killed enemy. You used an interesting way to earn money and its fun to see, what concepts people use to beat the game.

I also will proably extremly raise the prices for goods and reduce the price differences. A dynamic market would be nice, too - but it is to much work right now. I intended to make crafting easier and get rid of the necessity of needing space for crafting. But these are future plans and I don't know if I will pull them off.

Fame: A fame capacity is a nice idea, or at least hindering people to buy more fame at a specific amount of fame. There should be more options to spend fame on, such as mercaneries, special weapons and abilities and so on.

Difficulty: Well, you haven't reached level 30 yet. In level 30 bosses will appear, in level 40 epic bosses will appear. But maybe I will add a raise in quality of the monsters as well. But it takes time to embedd all the lists and think about all possible encounters. Maybe its unrealistic that you will ever reach level 30 or 40, but I got level 20 in no time, when testing. The level so far increases, damage, speed, hitpoints and number of spawns. Level by the way also influences other things, such as the costs of resting, the chances to block spells and many things more. At level 40 by theory, an epic boss will be spawned at the exit spot and the number of enemies is increased by 3 (for each group!), their hitpoints are increased by 40, their damage and speed by 3. I don't think that is so bad - but according to the low strikes of the enemies and the lack of abilities I can see a sense that it gets boring over the time. But at some point your hero is just invincible - but thats the point - to bring you hero to the maximum and this is on the other hand the 'fun' about strange legacy - pretty much like 'Brent', but he had some cooler abilities.

Experience: Call reinforcements sounds nice, I will think about that. As said I might increase the quality of the enemy, when reaching level 10 or level 20. I also had an idea for a phase door enemy, that can teleport away when it is to tricky or different beserker units. Spells are meant to be reduced to one spell per turn. This will make massive attack spells and spells like frostlance much better, as they have a higher damage output, in exchange for mana.

The main idea of a rpg is to play a specific role. Most rpgs use the concept of "kill enemies for loot and experience + maybe get experience for quests". In Strange Legacy I wanted to break with that dogma, so you can get experience for your deeds - your achievements. Thus you can play as a peaceful trader, negotiate and not harm a living being. But you will receive experience as well, which will allow you to develop your character and beat the game.

There are over 80 achievements and you will receive the number of achievements as an experience reward 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10= 55 experience for the first 10 achievements and 155 for the next 10 achievements, 255 for the next 10 and so on ... You see that the number of experience that can be gained by achievement is enourmous (3240 experience) and each achievement will additional will give you special rewards.
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

Got a crash bug:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Assertion failed!
Program: C:\Wesnoth 1.11.4.\wesnoth.exe
File:src\sdl_utils.cpp
Line:1787

Expression: dst

Has happened twice. Once entering a village. Once entering Uncles Place
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for reporting, even though these are grim news.

Restarting the computer should definitely help.

I had this once, when trying to start the campaign. I then increased the performance of the addon by replacing some unnecessary macros with wml.
As I never encountered the bug again, I believed that solved the problem was solved.

I'm using a lot of macros and I believed they would make the game run smoother. This is wrong, as the macros are replaced by a preprocessor when the game is loaded. This requires a lot of RAM, even more when you load and save often, or running multiple software at the same time. Long story short, I believe that this preprocessor thingy is causing the bug and that this is a problem concerning the RAM.

I believe that I can fix or at least reduce the problem, but I will need time for this. It seems I reached the maximum of what is possible with WML, at least based on my knowledge of coding (which isn't so much compared with other developers). I will look at this as soon as I have time.
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

No rush, I'm finding if I just save regularly it's more of an annoyance then a problem. A couple of questions/comments:
  • The worker starts with 5 constitution but no extra hp. Bug or intended?

I just had wolves knock me out & steal my cargo. Mechanically it works, however seems a little odd.

The starting encounters for non-bounty hunters seem a little hard. Ok your a civilian not a warrior but 2 or 3 poachers out class you about 5 times & it seems to me you can't really effecitively run or hide at this stage.

I lost going bust to taxes. Live & learn I guess though a warning to keep some gold aside in the help might be useful.

You can refuse a traders quest then reclick it & get a different 1. You can do this forever till you get 1 you like. Not sure this is intended or not. Good or not. I'd probably prefer being able to choose between the 3 & having them reset daily. I do this manually at the moment by ignoring the option.
Anyway thanks for taking the time to design & work on this. It's an interesting game, was surprised you could make something this different to normal wesnoth just through the campaign add-ons.

Edit: Also did you consider making mercenaries an upkeep rate rather then a flat cost - one use thing? It would be nice to recall my experienced mercs.
Edit2: Ignore above edit, worked it out. The double menu for mercs(mercenary menu & item menu for warhorn) was confusing me.
Last edited by wobbly on May 31st, 2013, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Intended. The worker just starts with 5 consititution, but with no hitpoint or exhaustment gain. But as an armor with requirement of 5 constitution already raises the hitpoints by 40, I did not want to overpower. More important for me, seems additional exhaustment which will allow him to work longer, I might add this.

Enemies in the mainland will just knock you out till level 20, so if you can't fight them try to avoid them or get as much experience as you can, before dying. Wolves like to dress themselves in silk, thats why they take your cargo! Well, no. I've got to work on this one, but at the moment I'm out of ideas how to solve this problem as your attackers are mainly humans. After all the fights should be non-deadly in main, to reduce the frustration for the starters.

Taxes in that early state are bad luck.

Hm, if you refuse you should leave the trader talk :(. I will check and fix that.

This game is intended to have a high replayability, for example try out a thief, bard or treasurehunter.
So far I even had sucess with a charismatic bard, thanks to the shockwave emitting instruments ^_^.
Jeffers0n

Post by Jeffers0n »

First of all, I really like this campaign. I just started a game as a Worker
However I have had some bugs with an encounter with a Rogue Mage:
1 He hit me with some spell so I lost 20 hp out of 15, without dying.
2 Then he hit me with another spell which sent me to the other edge of the map. when I tried to leave I got this error:
game_error: creating unit with an empty type field
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for this report and apologies for the bug.
I tested this addon like a maniac, but I never encountered this problem :shock:.

It seems to be a problem with the random teleport spell.

Do you use 11.4.? Can you reload the game?
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

Noticed a new 1. Neither resting in an inn or being healed at the temple removes the wounded status. The 2nd in particular seems pretty odd. I did work out that I can remove it with a bandage though.

Edit: Also after combat sometimes it says "autosave failed" try manually saving. Manually saving does not work. Quiting & reload fixes the problem
Last edited by wobbly on May 31st, 2013, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.