Alternate Era Version 2

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Quetzalcoatl

Re: Alternate Era Version 2

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

shadowmaster: Thx for clarification. I have to say I didn't played AtS so far, but with art so great I will for sure :).

Cheers
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

Ok, latest version uploaded with a khalifate option and the changes from the previous page.
Still have to get to Rigor's replays there.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

good timing :) they are rather short. in essence: some leaders are as boring and unspectacular as known form the default era. i felt like playing against a pikeman (although he was bette rthan that, but you got the point).

perhaps its not so bad after all. i guess the taf will tell.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

The latest version gives preprocessor errors when Khalifate era is not installed – maybe you should declare it as a dependency?
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

Ah that is why I had problems....didnt work for me without khlaifate installed:)
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

I have fixed it (I think) so that it shouldn't throw up errors if you don't have khalifate installed. If you do have khalifate installed you get the extra option of playing Alternate + Khalifate era.

Also, fixed the Orc Shaman's liminal and his hex not effecting feral units properly(taken from NoM).

EDIT:
In response to Rigor(after I finally watched those games). I don't want to spam too many special rules, I'm already almost doing that, and I think you can give some leaders a nice feel without shiny toys. That said I rather agree with you regarding the Great Drake. He's too boringly similar to the flare and I'd love to replace him with something more interesting if anybody has any suggestions. I belive I had a leadership clasher guy instead but I was using the old drake sprites for him and I think the Great Drake looks a lot better.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i believe drakes in particular would benefit greatly from a trait as "frightening" or "fear" or "terror" - in essence it goes like this: similar like leadership, the affected enemy unit will ose -15-25% attack strength. it would fit to the faction, lower the disastrous effects during night and finally the always helping leader would be quite good at something in a bad phase of day. leadership however sounds a bit too obvious and boring. besides, too many units already have it and drakes dont actually need it when passively under attack.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Adding stuff is always fun, but I think TBS is doing a good job of trying to balance out fun vs. loads of additional rules. If something is very close to leadership but not quite leadership, then it may be fun to add it - but it also might not be good design. Keeping the number of rules and specials low has advantages too. It's a balancing act for sure!
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
adr3n

Post by adr3n »

This is awesome! ^_^
The_Black_Sword

Post by The_Black_Sword »

Thanks. :)

I've uploaded a new version to the server with some leader changes. I should have done it when everything was fresh in my mind but I'm still a little burned out tbh. The changes:

Outlaw: lose Leadership, gain cures, damage 10-2, 8-3 instead of 9-2, 7-3.
Cures is in there because I think she's a bit weak vs orcs. She was definitely too good before I think, will need some testing now.

Dwarf Warden: Fire attack 13-2 -> 11-2

Orc Shaman: Lose Slow special

Drake Adventurer: hp 51 -> 56

Great Drake: Lose Leadership, now 7-4 Marksman fire attack and 51hp
-Also pretty experimental, should be more interesting than nerfed flare though.

I still think the phantom is too good vs orcs, but no survey takers felt strongly about it :P . There wasn't too many survey takers but big thanks to those who did, it was very helpful. New Khalifate leaders are still on my to do list when I get a chance btw.

I haven't received any negative comments about the matchups, except for UD, so they all remain unchanged for now. I thought the TAF UD vs Dwarves games were a lot closer than default and I'm pretty happy with it. I want to properly analyse the TAF games to see if I'm wrong here.(I know, you'd think I'd have done that by now). There's certainly a decision to be made whether Footies need +1hp so that quick/intel ones don't die to 2/2 at night from adepts. But my gut says make that making it harder for them is a good thing.
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

Not sure if I hear from TBS, but does anyone still have the era somewhere? Maybe the time has come to keep working on or even use it for ladder and tournaments. Back then I felt the balance on last version was allready better than nowadays.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Gallifax wrote:Not sure if I hear from TBS, but does anyone still have the era somewhere? Maybe the time has come to keep working on or even use it for ladder and tournaments. Back then I felt the balance on last version was allready better than nowadays.
It's still available from add-ons.wesnoth.org under 1.10, uploaded on the same date as his previous post.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

Oh quick answer. Many thanks!

No idea why it was never really used for ladder.
Gallifax
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Gallifax »

Sadly it wont run on current stable and I haven't got a clue how to fix it.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

That doesn't really surprise me - compatibility does tend to be minimal between major stable releases. There is the WML Workshop and the wiki if you decide to take a shot at fixing it though.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code